Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!SOURCED!!! - Wanted: 2KG of stale brown wanted to "season" new grinder burrs

Hi Roasters,

Anyone have some stale brown or some roasts the didn't quite work out?

Our mini mazzer is getting new burrs and I've read it's recommended to "season" them with 2KG of coffee but have nothing on hand.

I live in the North Ryde area of Sydney.

Edit: I need to put at price on the a stale coffee request, site policy. How about $2.35/KG.

Cheers!
    Rob
    Last edited by robc; 27 September 2016, 09:55 AM. Reason: Comply with moderators request

Hi robc,

Go for it if you like, but I'd doubt you will ba able to discern any difference whatsoever..

Just use your grinder

Comment

Yeah. Season them with drinkable coffee. Why wait?

Comment

Hi Talk_Coffee,

Thanks for the swift reply.

> Go for it if you like, but I'd doubt you will ba able to discern any difference whatsoever..

Yeh, your probably 100% right, general variation between shots is likely to mask any differences.

But it would be interesting to test and we sure won't be able to detect subtle differences if the change is gradually spead over weeks, "before" and "after" need to be close together. I'm sure taste memory is pretty bad and it take us weeks to get through 2KG of coffee.

I'll post back on what we perceive if I can get hold of some waste brown.

Cheers!
        Rob

Comment

A 'price willing to pay' is needed as per the Site Posting Policy.

Java "Stale beans?!? Not in my grinder!!!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I've got about 60kg of roasted beans that I just used to 'Season' my new roaster haha.

I would give it to you for nothing but you're in Sydney. If you pay freight I'll pack a couple bags for ya.

I also got my hands on some 2010 Cup of Excellence, it's 6 years old and have roasted 15kg of it. I can give you a couple kg's of that and you can have a taste while tuning in the machine. Funnily enough I was expecting it to taste like stale cardboard (if that's a thing) but it's actually really darn good. I think the foil vacuum packaging kept it in absolutely outstanding shape, it smelt like brand new beans out of the bag and I cupped it at over 90 so it's still amazing.

If anyone else wants some I'll gladly give it out for some testing. I'm not going to be selling it or drinking it before it gets old. Only roasted 2 weeks ago so it has 2 more weeks of excellent drinking.

Comment

Just go to your local supermarket and buy the cheapest 2kg bag of beans you can - I can guarantee you they'll be stale!

Comment

Hi Brendogs,

Originally posted by brendogs View Post
                I've got about 60kg of roasted beans that I just used to 'Season' my new roaster haha.
                Thanks for the laugh!

Yep, when I was roasting I did plenty of "seasoning" too. Took me a while to get the hang of it when moving from the Behmor to the bread maker & heat gun setup, kept tasting of ash.

I would give it to you for nothing but you're in Sydney. If you pay freight I'll pack a couple bags for ya.
                That's very generous, thank you very much. I'll take you up on that offer if nothing turns up locally.

I also got my hands on some 2010 Cup of Excellence, it's 6 years old and have roasted 15kg of it. I can give you a couple kg's of that and you can have a taste while tuning in the machine. Funnily enough I was expecting it to taste like stale cardboard (if that's a thing) but it's actually really darn good. I think the foil vacuum packaging kept it in absolutely outstanding shape, it smelt like brand new beans out of the bag and I cupped it at over 90 so it's still amazing.
                Actually, you've talked me into it, how could I refuse.
                I'll send you a PM to organize the postage.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
                Rob

Comment

Hi SniffCoffee,

Originally posted by SniffCoffee View Post
                  Just go to your local supermarket and buy the cheapest 2kg bag of beans you can - I can guarantee you they'll be stale!
                  Thanks, I looked into this but the cheapest I could see at one of the majors when searching online was still $12/KG and I'm a cheapskate and there was a chance of visiting another snob.

Cheers!
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    Hi robc,

Go for it if you like, but I'd doubt you will ba able to discern any difference whatsoever..

Just use your grinder
                    Chris is correct, forget seasoning, just use and enjoy it, burrs will wear in within a few weeks.

Comment

I'm interested in what type of grinder you have spent money on but not enough for 12$ a kilo of cheap beans to 'season' it in?

It makes me think its a mega expensive grinder but if you're not willing to pay 24$ for beans then I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by robc View Post
                        Hi Brendogs,
                        Yep, when I was roasting I did plenty of "seasoning" too. Took me a while to get the hang of it when moving from the Behmor to the bread maker & heat gun setup, kept tasting of ash.
                        Rob
                        Just curious, why did you change from a Behmor to Coretto? I would have thought most people would have gone the other way (as I am considering doing).

Comment

Hi Yelta,

Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          Chris is correct, forget seasoning, just use and enjoy it, burrs will wear in within a few weeks.
                          I'm going to try both, just for the fun of it and see for myself. That is, get some consistent shots going with the old burrs then just start using the new burrs to first of all see if there is a difference between the new and the old burrs in terms of grind setting, grind time and taste. Then after maybe half a dozen shot's I'll put 2KG thought it, slowly so as not to overheat it, and then try dialing the same grind again, adjusting, if necessary, for the same and consistent shot time and see if we can tell the difference in the following shots.

Any my money would be on any difference post "seasoning" being lost in the general variability from shot to shot, but it will be amusing.

Cheers!
                          Rob

Comment

Hi Nickm,

Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by nickm View Post
                            I'm interested in what type of grinder you have spent money on but not enough for 12$ a kilo of cheap beans to 'season' it in?
                            It makes me think its a mega expensive grinder but if you're not willing to pay 24$ for beans then I'm confused.
                            No, not a mega expensive grinder, we just have a Mini Mazer, but please don't be confused, just look at my earlier post, repeated below:

Originally posted by robc View Post
                            I'm a cheapskate and there was a chance of visiting another snob.
                            I also have a Super Jolly, completely rebuilt, with new burrs too, but with a bent shaft so the rotating burr wobbles slighty. When I have time, renovating at the moment, I'll have to do something about that one.

Again, just to be clear, I'm a cheapskate and I like Coffee Snobs.

Cheers!
                            Rob

Comment

Hi saeco_user,

Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by saeco_user View Post
                              Just curious, why did you change from a Behmor to Coretto? I would have thought most people would have gone the other way (as I am considering doing).
                              The Behmor was OK but didn't let me adjust things like a Coretto. Also, getting a consistent bean temperature readings was really hard as you had to mount a thermostat inside a rotating drum. I know people mount the thermostat outside the cage but I wanted it right there in the breans.

I fitted the Coretto with a 12V D.C, variable speed motor and used Andy's excellent thermocouple/multimeter/software combination to record and chart the bean temp in, near, real time. With no rotating cage to deal with, the thermocouple is right in the beans. With a Bosch heat gun I have excellent control over the heat and there are three airflow settings. When the roast finishes you can end it "instantly" but simply removing the thermostat (don't forget this bit), ripping out the pan, which holds the beans, and dumping the beans into whatever your using for fast cooling.

Another useful mod was to insulate the pan with a fibreglass fire blanket, reduced price at Aldi ... did I mention I'm a cheapskate.

A much more flexible setup. Granted, it's not for everyone as it was a lot more complicated and involved than the Behmor, messier too with chaff everywhere, though this can be minimized somewhat by mucking around with the heat gun placement.

Cheers!
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X