Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CoffeeSnobs - Member cards!

COOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Now I have to order something in the June beanbay to get my card!

Should we name each of the CS colours something as equally ambiguous?

Like random verbs?

I roasted it to buzz this time, but it also goes well as tip.
    Dont go beyond scoot though!

Re: CoffeeSnobs - Member cards!

Hey Andy,

Great idea.

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

That roasting scale is sooooooo much better than trying to look at a scale on a computer screen - even if the gamma is set correctly there is often too much colour shift for an accurate indication (and its a PITA to bury your screen in the cooled roast beans as well)..... :

At last we will have a reliable method of describing our roast levels.

Cant wait.

Comment

Great idea! Only thing Id add to it would be my website URL a number or something for each roast colour to avoid the my roast colour is about half way between the fifth from the right and the fourth from the left posts! Maybe a list of common alternate definitions for those numbers on the other side, e.g. colour 5: Also known as full city or medium to dark roast.

Comment

Love it - cant wait for mine! At last I can actually be a "card-carrying coffee snob"

Always wanted to be a "card carrying" something but never had the guts to join the communist party.

Comment

Thats awesome.

At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, Ill follow Gregs suit and say that the only thing that Id add would be to have photographed the ground coffee for comparison. Seems to lead to more consistent results; I think thats what they do for the Agtron system.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1179756431/0#0 date=1179756429
            small village ++
            that made me spray my keyboard ;D ;D ;D

Comment

yea I have to admit the Sweet Marias system is confusing. Is it more widely used then that? It means nothing unless you learn it all off by heart. something that is more descriptive rather then coffee morse code would make the learning curve a bit more gentle.

Comment

I like that. Nice card. Youve twisted my arm to get some more beans. I will just have to buy the minmum this month.

Comment

Dont feel that you have to buy beans (ever).  

It was never meant to be a marketing trick or a sales tactic, just something cool for roasters to use when talking about colour.  It will be available on future BeanBays too not just this one so dont panic if you dont buy beans this month.

The card has 12 panels from green to brown.  The early prototypes had numbers on them, the following ones had just "1" on the left and "12" on the right.... the final had none because we thought most people can count to a dozen using all their fingers and ears (Is Chopper Read a CoffeeSnob?)

Comparison to "full city"?  AAARRRGGGHHHH  That is just what we are avoiding and is pointless because no one really knows what a "full city crack house roast" is.  Using this card anyone can stick it in their beans and determine that their last roast looks like a CS-8 and other CS roasters will know how that compares to their own roast.

While never claiming that the colours on this card match anything else on the planet the good thing about the card is that it is consistent.  The cards were all produced at the same time on a 3 colour (5 panel) plastic card printer.  The actual beans are all the same roast batch with beans pulled all through the roast.  The photo was taken with all the beans together to avoid different light throws etc.  All in all it’s a pretty slick thing and should be great for colour and roast depth discussions.

...or just showing it to others when explaining "they go from green to brown when I roast them"

Comment

Full City Crack House Roast?

Im sure that would increase the bitterness and I think the pour might be a lot faster than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1179756431/0#10 date=1179800946
                      Full City Crack House Roast?

Im sure that would increase the bitterness and I think the pour might be a lot faster than usual.
                      you dont drink that one. da you grind for turkish and sniff.

Comment

ROFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1179756431/0#9 date=1179800535
                          The card has 12 panels from green to brown.  The early prototypes had numbers on them, the following ones had just "1" on the left and "12" on the right.... the final had none because we thought most people can count to a dozen using all their fingers and ears (Is Chopper Read a CoffeeSnob?)

counting to 12 = NO PROBLEM

(I can count as high as 21 when I am NAKED   )

great idea though

looking forward to getting mine with this months BeanBay

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1179756431/0#9 date=1179800535
                            The early prototypes had numbers on them, the following ones had just "1" on the left and "12" on the right.... the final had none because we thought most people can count to a dozen using all their fingers and ears (Is Chopper Read a CoffeeSnob?)
                            Sounds like its too late to change it now then... can I ask the reasoning for dropping the numbers? Given the purpose of the cards is to provide consistency, surely a consistent way of referring to each panel is a good idea? :-?

Comment

Aww Cmon Andy, you know I was just looking for an excuse to buy some more beans ;D

Its all with OGs blessing and he had already factored it into the budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X