GREEN BeanBay - 14th May 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREEN BeanBay - 14th May 2008

Below is the monthly newsletter / BeanBay heads-up that we just emailed to all CS members.

If you didnt get one emailed to you please check that your email address is correct under the [profile] button at the top of the forum.

Andy.

[hr]

What a huge coffee month this has been culminating in the AASCA Australian Barista Championship in Melbourne a little over a week ago. Those that were lucky enough to see the competition at the Beach Club were treated to easily the best group of professional bariste and baristi ever to compete on Australian shores.

Their presentation, preparation and level of commitment was truly outstanding as they produced their espresso, cappuccino and signature drink courses for the National and International judging panel over the two days of competition. Every spectator in the audience that I spoke to on the day of the final had selected a different potential winner which reinforced the unusually strong and very even level of competition this year.

The Australian Barista Champion for 2008 is: David Makin
    (who is also a CoffeeSnob site sponsor!)

The Latte Art competition was fiercely fought out on the Saturday with the eventual winner decided by a tiny 2 point margin after nailing a quad rosetta in the last cup. Congratulations to the Australian Latte Art Champion 2008: Habib Maarbani

The Cup tasting competition is an event that suffers from a conceptual thought that watching people slurp coffee would be as exciting as watching paint dry but that is far from the truth as those that were in the audience would attest. The crowd participation and excitement built to fever pitch as the competition result hung on the very last cup to determine the National title. Congratulations to the Australian Cup Tasting Champion 2008: Catherine Ferrari.

Catherine, David and Habib are all heading to Copenhagen to compete as Australia’s representatives in the WBC World Barista Competition. I’m sure CoffeeSnobs everywhere will be cheering them on.

CoffeeSnobs very proudly supplied and roasted the coffees used in the Victorian and the National Cup Tasting competition this year and we will post details of the coffees selected and their combinations on the website soon.

BeanBay - Wednesday 14th May 9pm (AEST)
    http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au

This BeanBay we have some of the finest coffees produced in this country. The Mountain Top Estate Bin lots have been selected by champion baristas all over the world and I’m excited to say that we can offer 3 of these special bin lots this month.

The 2008 crop was quite small due to the lack of rain during the growing season at Mountain Top Estate but that seems to have produced an intensity that is rarely seen in locally grown coffees and for me they have become far closer to a clean Indonesian coffee than the traditionally milder Australian bean. We purchased the entire MTC stock of these beans and they are all appearing in BeanBay this month in our standard 2.5kg cotton bags.

Australian Mountain Top Estate
    Bin 35 Plantation Fancy (Double Pass) $22/kg
    Bin 478 Xtra Fancy (Semi-Washed) $22/kg
    Bin 549 Fancy (Washed) $22/kg

The 5000th CoffeeSnob member competition is still open for entries but not for much longer. There have been some amazing entries so far and we have a huge prize pool available for the list of winners that will judged by the site moderators so get your free entry in soon. Full details on the website
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1205271097

Have a great coffee month CS’rs,

Re: GREEN BeanBay - 14th May 2008

Hmmm, any information on the meaning of "Double pass".

Bruce

Comment

Try Mountain Top Estates website?

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] Youre a legend Andy. Cant wait!

Comment

From Mountain Tops website:

"Double-Pass Process - is from the raisin-like, purple and black colour cherry. The fruit is left to ripen on the tree longer than normal; it is then soaked to re-hydrate the skin prior to pulping and washing. The lateness of the harvest increases the sugar content in the fruit by up to 30%. This processing style results in a more complex, dark style of sweetness."

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1210601973/0#3 date=1210631808
          From Mountain Tops website:

"Double-Pass Process - is from the raisin-like, purple and black colour cherry. The fruit is left to ripen on the tree longer than normal; it is then soaked to re-hydrate the skin prior to pulping and washing. The lateness of the harvest increases the sugar content in the fruit by up to 30%. This processing style results in a more complex, dark style of sweetness."
          Nice! I think I am a dark style of sweetness kindaguy...

Its a great time to start roasting and buying greens!

Sorry: complete newbie green beanbay person question: what is the minimum weight of purchase? If I am reading the beanbay section correctly, it is 2.5kg?

Comment

2.5kg is minimum. You can split a bag if you arrange with another CSer.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1210601973/0#0 date=1210601972
              BeanBay - Wednesday 14th May 9pm (AEST)
              http://beanbay.cofeesnobs.com.au
              Theres a typo in the link... a missing f?

Comment

Typoes everywhere :P

Comment

Is there only three greens on offer this BeanBay, or have I got it wrong yet again??

b4b.

Comment

There will be others..... (some in small quantities)

Its just they are the main ones on offer

Comment

Thanks JavaB.

Phewww, after buying the bling monster, I cant afford beanz @ $22/kg !!  

b4b.

ps. yet!

Comment

I think youll find deliberate typos in any "links" to coffeesnobs pages.
                        I expect they are designed to "trick" hackers (or the auto website scanning tools that they use).

I find this one, from further down in Andys initial post, particularly amusing......not at all accurate mind, but pretty amusing. ;D
                        http://coffeenobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1205271097

Comment

Originally posted by Habit link=1210601973/0#11 date=1210648059
                          I find this one, from further down in Andys initial post, particularly amusing......not at all accurate mind, but pretty amusing. ;D
                          http://coffeenobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1205271097
                          Link goes nowhere... or was that the point? :P

Comment

I think he is referring to the fact that it is spelt
                            coffeenobs

missing one S and being a slightly different description of our little community 8-)

Comment

Yeah, info on double pass (trademark to Mountain Top??!?) is on their website.  

Its a process that as far as I can tell is a combination of the wet hulling that is common in Indonesia and normal washing that is done elsewhere.  The result is a much darker green bean with less of the translucence and earthiness that you get on the premium washed Indonesian beans.  The Bin35 that has the double pass processing roasted a little uneven but cupped really well.

I have had a off line query about the high prices of these beans.  Please understand that these are the premium bean lots from the most renowned estate in the country and these will prob sell for double that price in other areas of the world (if they managed to get any from the 2008 crop).

...and yes, we will also have some other beans in smaller quantities available during BeanBay.  

Typo’s ?  I wish I could claim to have done them intentionally, sadly they were the result of a post midnight email after a 16 hour day but I’m sure everyone can extrapolate the contents to something useful.

By funny coincidence COFFEE NOBS is how my 3 year-old says CoffeeSnobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X