No announcement yet.

Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

Youll most likely find some MTC in there. Theyre good stuff!

Just went upstairs to make a coffee and thought Id check the front door. There was a small package waiting their for me

Lets see what did I get:

*Australia Capricorn Coast
    *Ugandan Bugisu AA
    *India My sore Nuggets A grade
    AND
    *Brazil Monte Carmelo

Will be checking out the roasting section on these beans. Hopefully will do a popper roast tonight and I will probably convince myself to set up a Corretto soon.

May the roasting begin ;D

Comment

Got mine today! Thanks again Andy.

Contained:
      Indian Mysore Nuggets
      Ugandan Bugisu AA
      Aussie Capricorn Coast
      Brazil Monte Carmelo

First time Ive ever smelt/felt green beans. Really interesting smell! You can almost smell coffee in it ... but theres more of a sweet, beany (vegetal), malty aroma with some subtle acidic fruitiness in there somewhere... The diff types are subtly different, but a newbie like me couldnt pick them in a blind test.

In case I need to point this out: Im excited. :P

Now to finish the Corretto!
      Cheers
      Stuart.

Comment

Im looking forward to being able to try roasting at home. Am in the middle of moving atm so will look at this again in a few weeks - need to find a popcorn roaster and a grinder too...

All of your experiences has sure whet my coffee appetite...

Comment

Now for the truth - First time roasters and smoke alarms!

First up though a big thank you for the very speedy service.  Next day delivery in time for the weekend - priceless

Saturday afternoon roasting my very first batch in the popcorm machine under the kitchen range hood (turned off cause the noise was annoying) when I was cooling the beans down off went the smoke alarm! The next batch I did with range hood turned on, total silence when cooling beans - yipee

That got me thinking surely I cant be the first (can I)? how many other first time roasters have done this as well?  

Whatabout any other roasting mishaps that one would care to share?

Looking forward to hearing your stories

By the way I sampled the first batch yesterday and they were very nice

Comment

I revieved mine last week and did the exact same thing ;D

Smoke alarms blaring!

I have roasted 5 more batches on the weekend outside : and this also helps slow the roast down too!

Going to try this weekends beans tonight after letting them rest for 3-4 days.

My first batch was very black oily and in the bin.

Comment

Hi all, i received my Confirmation Shipped email (for starter pack) on 3rd July at 1.51pm and havent received it yet. Thats not usual is it? (i live in sydney).
              How do i track this down please?

Comment

Whats inside the starter packs? (the origin of the coffees)

Comment

They vary.

Comment

Originally posted by cyrilgoldenrock link=1113484527/140#153 date=1215605157
                    Hi all, i received my Confirmation Shipped email (for starter pack) on 3rd July at 1.51pm and havent received it yet. Thats not usual is it? (i live in sydney).
                    How do i track this down please?
                    So it turns out someone at australia post likes to roast coffee.
                    Anyhow, got my new starter pack a couple of minutes ago and it contains:
                    -Ethiopian Gambella Naturals
                    -India Mysore Nuggets A Grade
                    -Brazil Monte Carmelo
                    -Ugandan Bugisu AA
                    Ill be roasting with a popper. Any suggestions as to a good first roast?
                    Thanks CGR.

Comment

Just start with one bean so you get to know what its like.
                      Worry about blends later.

Comment

dont forget to post your result cyrilgoldenrock
                        Im curious

Comment

Sorry, what i meant was are any of these beans known to be more forgiving etc?

Comment

Originally posted by cyrilgoldenrock link=1113484527/140#159 date=1216087234
                            Sorry, what i meant was are any of these beans known to be more forgiving etc?
                            Gday "cgr"....

The Ugandan Bugisu AA should be a good one to kick-off with, the Mysore Nuggets would be OK too.

The thing to be watchful for with poppers when starting out, is to NOT overload them otherwise the roast will accelerate way too quickly and wreck the beans before youve even realised whats happened. Suggest you start off with about 80 grams and then roast this small batch right through to destruction while closely observing (including listening) the roast progression milestones.

This way, you will easily recognise the colour transitions; the timing of the discharge of chaff (happens at least twice); the discharge of water vapour and/or smoke; the sounds of 1st-Crack and then 2nd-Crack; the length of time to arrive at Rolling FC and then the time interval between RFC and the first few snaps of SC; the time interval between the start of SC and Rolling SC; the rapid transition of colour once RFC starts and the roast progresses; the appearance of spots of oil on the surface of some beans; when oil covers the surface of all beans; when significant volume of smoke is being discharged.... Switch off at this stage as the next one is Fire

Good idea to keep records of each roast and note some or all of the above observations, then use these to refer to when roasting subsequent batches of the same beans to either repeat or improve upon cupping results.

I guess a reasonable guideline to use with an unmodified popper, is to adjust your batch sizes so that you dont reach RFC before roughly six minutes and then the first snaps of SC before nine minutes. Longer than this OK but if it seems excessively long then you can probably increase your batch size slightly, no more than 10g at a time. With poppers, you increase batch size to shorten roast times and visa versa.... Seems counter-intuitive but its all about the air flow. When you restrict the air flow, the air temperature increases because the heating elements are able to transfer more thermal energy to the passing air; more air flow means less energy is transferred.

Hope this is helpful to you mate. All the best and Happy Roasting!

Mal.

Comment

Very very helpful, thanks Mal. I pretty much did the opposite of what youve suggested. Tried the two beans you didnt mention, and increased batch size to try and slow down the roast.
                              Tomorrow ill do it all differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X