CoffeeSnobs GREEN BeanBay - 20th Aug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoffeeSnobs GREEN BeanBay - 20th Aug

(this is being emailed to everyone right now, if you didnt get a copy then check your email address under the [Profile] button above)

[hr]

The green beans for home roasters will appear in BeanBay this Wednesday 20th August at the following times:

9:00pm QLD, NSW, VIC, TAS
    8:30pm SA, NT
    7:00pm WA
    11:00pm NZ

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au

Democratic Republic of the Congo - Matadi
    The Congo is another African gem. This particular Matadi coffee is produces a slightly earthy, light to mid bodied espresso with an acidic zing similar to its Kenyan cousins but without their price tag. I can appreciate it as a single origin but prefer it blended with a body bean like the Indian or the Peru we have this month. A great bean to experiment with at $8.50/kg*

Ethiopian Gambella Sundried
    Similar to the Gambella Naturals of last season the sundried Gambella is still very ugly, it roasts with a lot of chaff but it does have a cleaner physical appearance. Taken deep into the CS roast card you will get rich bodied espresso that oozes from the group handle like only a wild East African can. $8.00/kg*

Indian Tiger Mountain A
    It has been a while since we have had a Tiger Mountain in BeanBay as there have been other A grade Indian beans that have pushed their way in. This lot was cleared by AQIS just over a week ago and the first thing we noticed was that the great looking bag has gone (which makes me wonder if Richmond Football Club caught up with them!). The good news is that the well graded, clean even roasting bean remains the same. Roast to CS9 to bring out the smooth and viscous body of this one. $8.50/kg*

Papua New Guinea Wahgi AA
    After the initial cloud of aroma off the grinder, this large well graded bean produces a very sweet, narrow mid/front palate espresso with excellent body at CS9 or roast it to CS8 for a brighter and more acidic style shot. $11.00/kg*

Peru Organic Grace Villa Estate
    Certified organic at origin and from where I think is the most consistent quality estate in Peru. This coffee produces a great low acid, big bodied shot that has a following as a single origin as well as an excellent base bean for a blend. $9.00/kg*

Sulawesi Rante Kapua Torajah
    This is the same grade, amazing Sulawesi coffee that has developed such a fond following in the roasted area of BeanBay. We sample roasted nearly a dozen different 1st grade Torajah coffees before we found this stunner. Strong bitter sweet dark chocolate flavours with a very good body. Excellent as an espresso and works really well in milk based drinks with a longer roast time and slightly darker roast depth. $10.50/kg*

We will also have in the [Cocoa/Tea] section of BeanBay:

Sencha green tea (500g lots)
    Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa blend (500g lots)

* The above beans include a $0.50/kg Faircrack donation. All above are sold in multiples of 2.5kg packed in natural cotton bags at no extra charge. All the above are green beans for home roasters. Some of these are or will be available in the roasted area of BeanBay for those that don’t home roast. Photos of the actual beans on offer will appear in BeanBay at the above date and time. If I made an oops anywhere Im sorry and will try to avoid it next time. I really dislike having to type the obvious disclaimer type messages so this might be the very last one that you ever see or maybe it will continue to grow longer and longer as the membership tells me that I forgot to say something in the once a month email.

;-)

Have a great coffee month!

Andy.

Re: CoffeeSnobs GREEN BeanBay - 20th Aug

Andy, youre cruel -- I want some of everything! ;D

Roast etc notes with the list -- brilliant idea btw [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Comment

I agree Simone, I too want a number of different beans.

Feel like a kid in a lolly shop ;D

Comment

LOL...and I thought my pay this month should go to pay off credit card. Hmmm

Comment

Hi,

Just wondering if the Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa.

Is the one with added sugar and other stuff or the straight cocoa?

Thanks,
          Paul

Comment

Excellent line-up, Andy.

The question is not what to get, but what not to get.

(There goes hopes of getting my credit card under control too. ;D Oh well, cant pass this lot up.)

Comment

Paul,

Its the straight cocoa. Add sugar to taste.

Comment

A great and varied line up this month Andy...and Im sure the accompanying notes are appreciated!

8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1219074651/0#7 date=1219106268
                  A great and varied line up this month Andy...and Im sure the accompanying notes are appreciated!

8-)
                  Yes they are. Thanks Andy. [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Comment

Yes the notes are an excellent idea Andy - thanks.

Despite having topped up my Kimel reserves yesterday Im sorely tempted to try one or two of those.

Comment

Hi all,

time to try some green [smiley=evil.gif] Question for Andy or one of you in the know. If I order a starter pack from what I understand I cant order other items from Green or Brown such as bags, cocoa card etc.?

I am sure this question has been answered in the past but I couldnt find it. Might need to order a few big bags otherwise with some extra goodies :

New dog bowl, Ryobi and spoon waiting and ready

Comment

The jury (well my jury!) is still out on posting the note prior to the BeanBay. These are the same descriptions that are appear in the actual BeanBay which traditionaly I saved for the night in the hope that it would slow the mad rush while people read the notes.
                        Well... the idea was there!

We will try running with early notes for a while and see what the impact is. I expect the biggest impact with be the amount of time people spend at work on that green and gold web site

If I order a starter pack from what I understand I cant order other items from Green or Brown such as bags, cocoa card etc.?
                        Its not a simple as a yes / no. The starter packs are sent from a different location to everything else so that is why you cannot order a member card with a starter (as it states in BeanBay).

However if you order a pile of "stuff" together including the starter it will all ship together and the freight will be calculated as one lot.

Comment

So now I am really confused   Hang the expense I will order a couple of different 2.5kgs, a Brown Starter pack and the other goodies. Providing I dont burn it to a crisp I know where it will all finish up me  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] off walls  ;D

Any recommendations on easier to roast beans from this current lot for a beginner. 2 Requirements Plunger/Syphon and Espresso. Tiger mountain looks good for one of them.

Comment

Hi, im about to roast for the first time.

Any suggestions on what beans to try? Something forgiving and easy to roast.

Comment

For a first time roaster the Peru Grace is a winner. It works across a wide range of roast levels and has loud cracks.
                              Then again the PNG and the Indian tiger mountain arent too tricky either.

Comment

Working...
                              X