When:
    Thursday 16th Oct 2008
    21:00  ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    20:00 QLD
    20:30 SA
    19:30 NT
    18:00 WA

Costa Rica Royal Tarrazu $9.00/kg*
    Clean and well processed SHB (strictly hard bean).  As a green bean you smell the coffee fruit sweetness when opening the bag and this fleshy sweetness appears in the roasted cup too.  Medium bodied with dominating green apple acidity at a CS8 roast which tapers to bitter sweet cocoa notes at a CS9.  Roast this one to suit your own preferences.

Kenya Rititi AA $10.00/kg*
    A large well graded and washed Kenyan bean.  It seems that in the last year the world has found Kenyan coffee and the prices have soared to $13 or $14 a kilo for some which appears to be based on demand and not quality.  It was a surprise to find this one which cupped fruity and bright with flavour profiles equal to the expensive coffees at a much better price. Enjoy!

Indian Monsoon Malabar AA $9.00/kg*
    These beans have been left to dry in large warehouses that are exposed to the moist winds during the Indian monsoon season.  This unique process leaves a bean with reduced acidity, lighter colour and weight.  Huge body, miles of crema and an earth spiciness that makes for a really interesting single origin roast or you can happily use in a blend that is missing those attributes.

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe $9.50/kg*
    Its at this time of year all the new West African beans start rolling into the country.  Here is another new crop of Yirg, this time it’s a semi washed processing which creates more chaff during roasting and adds slightly more body to the cup still keeping that great Yirg aroma.

Nicaragua Ramacafe Fine Estate RFA $9.00/kg*
    Nicaragua Ramacafe Fine Estate is Rain Forest Alliance (RFA) and UTZ certified.  In the cup at  CS9 I found a sweet soy milk nuttiness in the aftertaste that was both enjoyable and quite unique.  These are very well graded beans and roast even and easily.

PNG Jiwaka Peaberry $9.50/kg*
    Ive had numerous discussions previously about finding huge maragogype beans in with peaberry beans and I still dont know why it happens but there are plenty in this origin too.  Roasted to CS9 it produces an enticing aroma off the grinder and retains the sharp PNG acidity that you expect in the cup.  From the Western Highlands of the Wahgi valley this is the first time that we have seen a Jiwaka bean but I do hope it becomes a regular.

Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo Bold $9.00/kg*
    Excellent processing, large bean and is really easy to roast. It produces a good body as espresso and has a caramel style sweetness at a CS9 roast depth. Good as a single origin and good as a base to your blends.

DECAF - Mocha Java. $13.00/kg*
    We roast this decaf at the Snobbery and noticed that the current batch is has a slightly lighter overall colour which makes roasting it easier.  As a rule, the water processed decaf can be trick to roast as you cannot use roast colour as a good indicator, so we still recommend stopping just shy of second crack for best results.

* All green beans are sold in 2.5kg bulk lots, pricing includes packing in strong natural cotton bags (perfect for green bean storage) and a $0.50 per kilogram FairCrack donation.

(edit - added the Volcan Galeras - Andy)

Re: BeanBay GREEN - 21:00 Thursday 16th Oct 2008

ooh looking forward to this - there are some crackers there. That Kenyan looks like it could be intersting through the syphon/filtered hmm. Oh and the PNGs Ive had lately have been great also through the syphon. (kid in toy store moment)

Comment

Is the PNG Jiwaka Peaberry similar to the PNG Wahgi AA in the brown bay?

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1224048734/0#1 date=1224049187
        ooh looking forward to this - there are some crackers there. That Kenyan looks like it could be intersting through the syphon/filtered hmm. Oh and the PNGs Ive had lately have been great also through the syphon. (kid in toy store moment)
        Sounds like you have discovered the joy of acidic coffees Yezza. Some people dont ever take to them but those that do find many other coffees border on "flat, bland and disinteresting". I would suggest that after your recent awakening that you revisit roasting some of the East African beans in your stash... you will prob find things that didn’t exist for you previously.

8-)

Comment

Originally posted by gronk62 link=1224048734/0#2 date=1224051636
          errr... Yes and no.

Different area but still western PNG highland coffee.
          Different beans, Peaberry are round, the AA are "traditional" flat sided beans
          Similar style in the cup though.

Comment

(sorry for the triple posts in a row... below is the email that was just sent to everyone. Posted here for those that didnt see it yet)

[hr]

"BeanBay GREEN"
            The CoffeeSnobs green bean sale is on again this month, details on the beans pricing and cheap freight options are on the website now:
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1224048734

"BeanBay BROWN"
            Coffee freshly roasted to order is always available in the BeanBay brown area. We try and batch the roasting 2 or 3 times a week so you should always get your beans roasted and freighted to you inside a week of ordering.
            http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au

The green beans will appear in BeanBay Thursday 16th Oct 2008
            21:00 ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
            20:00 QLD
            20:30 SA
            19:30 NT
            18:00 WA
            http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au

We have had numerous requests from home roasters for green beans in between the BeanBay sales so to address that we are going to try something new with green beans this month. We will have beans available in BeanBay all month but at a slightly higher price to cover driving to the post office and the additional time and costs incurred when freighting smaller orders around.

BeanBay GREEN will available on the website for 24 hours and during that time the subsidised freight to the pickup points and cheap bulk pricing on the beans will be available. After the 24 hours is up the prices will increase by $1 a kilo to cover the additional handling costs and the beans will remain in BeanBay until sold out.

This means that you will have the convenience of getting the same great beans at anytime with a minimal price premium.

Enjoy your coffee!

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1224048734/0#4 date=1224051896
              Originally posted by gronk62 link=1224048734/0#2 date=1224051636
              errr... Yes and no.

Different area but still western PNG highland coffee.
              Different beans, Peaberry are round, the AA are "traditional" flat sided beans
              Similar style in the cup though.
              Thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1224048734/0#3 date=1224051711
                Originally posted by YeeZa link=1224048734/0#1 date=1224049187
                Sounds like you have discovered the joy of acidic coffees Yezza.  Some people dont ever take to them but those that do find many other coffees border on "flat, bland and disinteresting".  I would suggest that after your recent awakening that you revisit roasting some of the East African beans in your stash... you will prob find things that didn’t exist for you previously.

Yeah, I think thats developed more as Ive been drinking less espresso and more syphon brewed coffee. I think filtered coffee is more interesting when there is something significantly standout in the flavour, I think, a big I think, coffees that lean to the acidic end of the spectrum seem to stand out in particular to me. But then again, I dont desperately love hyper-acidic espresso, but thats for another thread I reckon
                And, yeah I recently have been digging through the stash trying to find the E.Africans (Malawi is running low, heaps of Ethiopean, a little Kenyan) 8-)

Comment

ooh any chance of seeing some of the the green bean offerings as browns?

I dont have much of a chance to roast so tend to buy brown.

the Indian Monsooned Malabar and the PNG jiwaka Peaberry look interesting

Comment

Excellent selection of beans again Andy... Talk about about being spoiled for choice 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Looks like a very nice selection I just wanted to comment on the freight, thats great that therell be a cheaper option.. being a regional area overnight and express post is usually a day or two late anyway so its pretty annoying really!
                      Good on ya Andy

Comment

Must remember its on THURSDAY night, not tonight, so I can quit the feverish refreshing : ;D

Looking forward to it - the Yirg, Malabar and Kenyan will be my pick!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Rose link=1224048734/0#8 date=1224056378
                          ooh any chance of seeing some of the the green bean offerings as browns?

I dont have much of a chance to roast so tend to buy brown.

the Indian Monsooned Malabar and the PNG jiwaka Peaberry look interesting
                          Mostly yes Rose!
                          I have snaffled a bag of the Monsoon for the Snobbery for just that reason and I hope to get enough of the Jiwaka Peaberry soon so I can offer it too.  The Monsoon should appear in BeanBay very soon (Im at the Snobbery roasting now and have just unloaded the bag!).

Originally posted by Mal link=1224048734/0#9 date=1224056409
                          Excellent selection of beans again Andy... Talk about about being spoiled for choice 8-)
                          Mal.
                          Its a great time of year for beans and we have so many great brokers now hunting-down interesting lots for us that we really are spoiled for choice.  Its a tough job banging samples through my machines all the time but someone has to do it
                          ;-)

Originally posted by Rolley link=1224048734/0#10 date=1224056861
                          Looks like a very nice selection  I just wanted to comment on the freight, thats great that therell be a cheaper option.. being a regional area overnight and express post is usually a day or two late anyway so its pretty annoying really!  
                          Good on ya Andy
                          Sorry to get your hopes up Rolley.  The cheaper freight was talking about the pickup points that get a heavily subsidised $1 per kilo freight option.  

Outside the monthly BeanBay sales we still use Express Post (also subsidised!) which is $3/kg as it is the fastest, cheapest and traceable freight option.

If you can get enough CSrs together in your area to create a pickup point and order around 25kg each time then we can make a pickup point for you too.

We already offer the freight cheaper than we have to pay for it but sadly cannot find a better option at the moment.  If you come across someone better send me an email and Ill check them out.

Originally posted by ml27 link=1224048734/0#11 date=1224065167
                          Must remember its on THURSDAY night, not tonight, so I can quit the feverish refreshing : ;D

Looking forward to it - the Yirg, Malabar and Kenyan will be my pick!

Mark
                          I hear ya Mark!
                          We hoped to get the beans in early enough for a Wednesday BeanBay but some of the freight companies are a little random with their delivery estimations.
                          :

THURSDAY...THURSDAY... THURSDAY...

Comment

Decisions decisions...go for the Yirgi or give the Kenyan a try. Or go for both!

Thanks Andy for another ripper Green BeanBay.

Comment

Hi Andy, Im new to the snobs, and I live in Hobart. Are you aware that theres a pickup point there? Does it mean if I were interested in ordering, that I have to order a minimum of 2.5Kg; and if there is going to be a pickup point, that the cumulative order from all the Tassie Devils will have to mount up to 25Kg? Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X