TUESDAY 18th NOVEMBER 2008

21:00  ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    20:00 QLD
    20:30 SA
    19:30 NT
    19:00 WA <--- corrected time!

GREEN BEANS

Sumatra Blue Lintong $9.00/kg*
    Wet hulled, well processed and nearly translucent in appearance as a green bean.  When roasted, think BIG.  Huge body with bold over the top flavours.  If you like delicate mild coffees then this one is certainly not for you. Great as a single origin or use it to add "cricket bat" punch to one of your blends.

El Salvador El Boqueron co op $8.50/kg*
    Located in the shadows of the San Salvador volcano and this high altitude produces a small dense bean.  It roasts really well and in the cup as an espresso you find a sweet mid bodied coffee with a sharp clean bite.  A great example of how good El Salvador coffees can be.

Brazil Bourbon Bold $8.00/kg*
    Traditional processed, sun dried naturals from Brazil give far more body, sweetness and interest to me than many of the over washed mild coffees that we sample and this one didn’t disappoint, large bold bean, nice grading and a strong mid body as an espresso.  Great value at $7.50 + FairCrack per kilo.

Ethiopia Sidamo Guji $8.50/kg*
    Ethiopia Sidamo Guji roasts unevenly at an average CS9 depth but produces a really good single origin coffee with mid body and long lingering rich mid palate aftertaste if you pick the lightly roasted beans out of the finished roast.  Great earth and berry double shot in the East African Harrar style.

Guatemala Huehuetenango $8.50/kg*
    The high altitude at origin produces this Strictly Hard Bean (SHB).  In the espresso cup at a CS8 you find a mid bodied rounded balance of sweet fruit flavours and enough acid to give a sharp finish or you can roast it to CS9 to mellow the citric bite. Great coffee and easy to roast.

Uganda Busamaga $9.00/kg*
    Certified organic at origin by Ceres and graded to only include the largest AA bean size.  Another big bold eastern african bean that produces enough body to stand a spoon up.  Rich cocoa flavours at CS10.  Works well as a single origin or add it to thinner bodied base bean for a great espresso blend.

Mexico Cofre de Perote $9.50/kg*
    Is a really well graded Mexican bean.  Roasts well and a great aroma off the grinder that adds to the anticipation of the shot.  Good mid to high body with centre front palate sweetness that lingers as an espresso and works great in milk based drinks.

SPECIALTY TEA

Darjeeling Kanchenjunga $18.00/500g*
    Darjeeling Kanchenjunga SFTGFOP1 (Super Fine Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe Grade 1).  High grade estate tea hails from the shadows of the Kanchenjunga mountain range.

China Siaou Chu Pearl Tea $14.50/500g*
    Called Pearl tea due to the small handrolled pellets.  this is a soft and simple green tea with a touch of smoke in the brewed aroma.  Each of these little pellets unroll into a tea leaf so you need only half a dozen pearls per cup.

PNG Broken Pekoe grade 1 $8.00/500g*
    This well graded black tea is grown in the Western Highlands of Papua New Guinea.

Earl Grey blended tea. $12.00/500g*
    This famous Ceylon (Sri-Lankan) tea has an amazing bitter citrus aroma that comes from the bergamot oil that is added to the blend.  If you like Earl Grey teas then this fresh one will stun you.

COCOA / DRINKING CHOC

Double Dutch Pure Cocoa $20.00/500g*
    Double Dutch Pure Cocoa Extra Dark.  This deep red cocoa processed in Holland contains 24% cocoa oils, much higher it would be a liquid!  The extra dark refers to the oil content, not the colour which is a rich red when dry.  A great cocoa that produces amazing hot chocolate.

* prices include $0.50/kg FairCrack Donation and packaging.

[hr]

Freight options include 3kg & 5kg Australia Post Express satchels or you can use the bulk "pickup point" option.

Below are the dates and times that we expect we can get the next next BeanBay beans bagged, tagged and freighted to the pickup points (assuming prompt payment from everyone).  

QLD
    • Veneziano First Pour - WestEnd - on or after 29th November 2008

NSW
    • "Hoyks" - Newcastle - on or after 29th November 2008
    • "Coffee Parts" - Pagewood - on or after 28th November 2008
    • "Dennis" - Sylvania or cuppacoffee - on or after 29th November 2008
    • "Nunu" - Carlingford - on or after 29th November 2008

ACT
    • "Cruiserman" - Calwell - on or after 29th November 2008

MEL
    • Veneziano - Abbotsford - Saturday 29th Nov 10:30-11:30am

TAS
    • "ParaM" - Hobart - on or after 29th November 2008
    • "rayzurhed" - Burnie - on or after 29th November 2008

SA
    • The Coffee Barun - Sefton Park - on or after 29th November 2008

WA
    • Epic - Perth - Friday 2pm-3pm  on or after 29th November 2008

[hr]

You will hear in this thread when the beans have arrived at the pickup points, please understand these dates are a best guess, the courier has the last say!

8-)

Re: BeanBay GREEN sale - TUES 18th Nov 2008

Wow, what an awesome line up... so many to choose from, so little time to decide.

Cant wait! ;D

Comment

It might be more appropriate for me to begin a new thread, but can anyone recommend a good beginners bean to start roasting with?

Ill be using a poppcorn popper initially so something that doesnt mind being roasted quickly.

-ACog

Comment

Hey acog, it may be the wrong spot but someone will move us on if it is, I am no expert at roasting, I use a popcorn popper and I just brought the beans which I like the sound of. Then I just roast them buy sound and site I havent bothered with timing or temps thought I would just do it buy feel to start with, and I havent been disappointed yet!!
        Just buy some and do it.

Comment

"Just buy some and do it" is one of the best bits of advice I have seen for ages!

Its true too. Once you try home roasting you will wonder why you ever doubted your own ability. The results in any device are well in front of half the cafes you have ever walked into and you can roast to suit your own palate.

Good fun, easy and plenty of support from fellow CSrs to make sure you get the best result you can.

If I had to pick one "newbie roaster" from the list I might head to "Brazil Bourbon Bold" not becasue its an amazing coffee but it is easy to get a good result. Roasting for impact? Then try the Sumatra Blue Lintong, its the other end of the scale to the Brazil in the cup... HUGE.

We only put good stuff up on BeanBay so what ever you pick you should...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Steve link=1226326704/0#1 date=1226347626
            Wow, what an awesome line up... so many to choose from, so little time to decide.

Cant wait!  ;D
            Plenty of time to decide Steve.... NEXT Tuesday 18th not today!
            8-)

I had to put these up early and get the email out because Ill be in Port Macquarie this weekend (but Ill take a notebook and wireless card to stay in touch).

Comment

Andy, we have Daylight Saving her in the West now so that would make it 19:00!

Comment

Thanks runfast (tis fixed now)

One year everyone will do DST on the same day... we came close this year with TAS, NSW, SA and VIC all in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1226326704/0#7 date=1226374227

One year everyone will do DST on the same day... we came close this year with TAS, NSW, SA and VIC all in line.
                  One year theyll finally reintroduce it to QLD...

Confused cows my a...s! :-?

Comment

Well here in WA....

we will be having a vote at the end of this session on whether to retain daylight savings.... and the last pole said 70% were against it!

So we will be going backwards - just like QLD....

and our cows will be so happy again :

Comment

WA should be on Sydney time.

Comment

Oh goodness!! Darjeeling Tea!! (And beans!) One question Andy: is the Darjeeling first or second flush? (Ill buy some anyhow, but its a week out and Im just trying to imagine it!).

/Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by fishinglizard1972 link=1226326704/0#3 date=1226358715
                            I am no expert at roasting, I use a popcorn popper and I just brought the beans which I like the sound of.  Then I just roast them buy sound and site I havent bothered with timing or temps thought I would just do it buy feel to start with, and I havent been disappointed yet!!
                          Just buy some and do it.
                          Never a truer word spoken fishinglizard, I am very new here , and the the experience of sampling and sharing your first home roasts is hard to beat ,and the support of all members has been a great help btw the comment about "the one " from your wife was pure gold,
                          Uganda Busamaga sounds too good to miss out on , Gaz

Comment

The Darj is a first flush... and we bought double the amount we would normally buy so no need to stampede, in fact we hope to have enough to leave some in BeanBay after the sale too.

Comment

Some left over!? I think not! You see, there are folk who are not only addicted to superb coffee, but also superb tea! ;D

Anyway, first flush - hmmmm lots of flowery muscat overtones then?

Hmmm... I reckon I have about 50g of Darjeeling left - maybe itll last till the end of the month!

/Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X