TUESDAY 10th March 2009

21:00 ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    20:30 SA
    20:00 QLD
    19:30 NT
    19:00 WA

In BeanBay at the above times we will have the following green beans:

Brazil Peaberry RFA $9.50/kg*
    This Brazil Peaberry RFA (Rain Forest Alliance) is a very well graded bourbon varietal peaberry with a very clean with a consistent bean size makes it easy to get a good looking roast.  In the cup it produces a mid bodied, front palate, sweet espresso which works well as a single origin coffee or could be used as a base bean in a post roast blend.

Tanzania Tunduru AA $10.00/kg*
    A new crop Tanzanian that we have not had access to before.  Large, well graded and washed beans that are very easy to roast and produce a bright, nearly crisp mid bodied espresso shot.  Great coffee.

India Washed Robusta A $7.50/kg*
    We could only get a single bag of this high grade robusta as they are very hard to find in Australia but we do hope to get some more in the coming months.   Essence of instant coffee that should be roasted by itself and then added to your Italian style espresso blend for added crema, caffeine and bite!  Roasting this is a little tricky and unlike all your Arabica profiles, it takes a lot of heat and works best roasted dark at CS10

India Madikeri A $9.50*
    Grown in southern India this 18 screen size coffee produces a low acid, great body espresso shot that works well as a single origin or as a base bean to some wilder highlight coffees.  Works best at CS9 but could be roasted either side to tweak the flavour base that you like.  Easily the best Indian arabica that we have sampled for a long time.

Ethiopia Sidamo Koratie natural $8.50*
    This is a sun dried, dry processed natural coffee that is messy to roast but produces a heavy bodied bold espresso shot with a sweet coffee cherry earthiness that I really enjoy from the Ethiopian coffees.  I guess you could tame it by adding it on top of a base bean but I think it works well as a single origin.

Ethiopian Harrar Longberry $10.50*
    We have more Longberry!  Very clean grading for a dry processed coffee and in the cup it produces a mid bodied espresso shot with wild and fruity flavours that make it a standout.  We have also bought this for the Snobbery to offer as roasted for those that dont roast their own.

Guatemala Huehuetenango SHB $9.00/kg*
    This Huehuetenango (pronounced Wee Wee Ten Ay Go) produces a medium to good bodied espresso, sweet with a mild peppery spice that balances really well.  Nicely graded and a great coffee from the high volcanic soils of Guatemala.

Indian Monsooned Robusta AA $8.00/kg*
    Large beans and a premium Robusta perfect for adding to an espresso blend without overpowering or dominating it.  Being a monsooned bean the acidity is barely distinguishable but in a blend it will add spicy, savory notes and a dose of caffeine.  Think of it as Robusta training wheels.

Ethiopian Gambella Sundried $8.50/kg*
    Another dry processed Ethiopian that has been called "poor mans Yemen" in the past for its similar cupping style but much lower purchase price.  Wild, earthy, sweet, fruity and a viscosity like honey when roasted in the CS9-CS10 range.

All green beans are packed into 2.5kg lots in CoffeeSnobs cotton bags.  These bags are perfect for storing your beans in a cool dark place for years.

* pricing includes $0.50/kg FairCrack donation.

Pickup Points

QLD - Veneziano - West End
    NSW - Real Coffee – Newcastle
    NSW - "cksyd" - Kellyville
    NSW - Dennis - Sylvania
    NSW - Coffee Parts – Pagewood
    ACT - "Cruiserman" – Calwell
    VIC - Wicked Sunday - Fed Square, Melbourne
    TAS - "Alistair1" - Launceston
    TAS - "rayzurhed" – Burnie
    TAS - "ParaM" – Hobart
    SA - The Coffee Barun - Sefton Park
    WA - "Caffeinefreak" – Wembley

Of course, all the beans can also be shipped using Australia Post express satchels too which is always the quickest method of getting your order.

Roasted beans and other BeanBay items can be shipped to the pickup points too.  Roasted orders will be roasted as close to the shipping day as we can to ensure you still get fresh roasted beans.

We do ask that anything bought in BeanBay is paid for the same day so it wont hold-up other CSrs orders.  Any pickup point order that isnt paid for when we freight the interstate beans will not ship and you will incur higher transport costs or the order will be cancelled.

(beans should be at all the pickup points about the 28th of March)

The delivery date is a best guess as we are at the whim of couriers around the country.  When the beans arrive the pickup points will post in this thread to let you know details, times etc.

PS:
    We have 2 new pickup points this month, Alistair in Launceston and Chris "cksyd" in Kellyville and please also note that the Melbourne pickup has been moved to Wicked Sunday.

Re: BeanBay monthly sale - Tuesday 10th March 2009

Eeexxcellent,
    Love the new Beanbay notifications.  8-)  A little advice box in the corner of the screen when I turned it on, an alert on the toolbar, and an email.
    No excuses for missing out if you need beans this time.    
    - Carrie

Comment

Received the email here , looks like youve fixed it, or it could just be luck :-)

Graham.

Comment

Heh Andy/Denis

Just bought some Decaf Mocha Java...Really needed some more nice Decaf.

I expect that it will be with you Denis when tomorrows Bean Bay lot are delivered.

See you after then Dennis

Ciao Robert

Comment

Originally posted by 6C4E5D5D464A642F0 link=1236567464/1#1 date=1236594311
          Love the new Beanbay notifications.
          Thanks Carrie!

A cool little advice box in the corner of the screen when I turned it on, an alert on the toolbar, and an email.
          Maybe a little too much, but still better than none.  The little pop-up thingy on the taskbar was a feature that I just found today when I was sending the "BeanBay Alert" message on the toolbar.  

Originally posted by 6C4049494A4A655A4144464A2F0 link=1236567464/2#2 date=1236594836
          Received the email here , looks like youve fixed it
          Made a few changes to the email, also sent it in groups and we still have a quirk in it but its closer.  

The gotcha is that I dont want to spam 7500 members while Im testing the email changes so I can only do one test a month.

The most reliable method will be the browser toolbar "BeanBay Alert" as everyone gets it instantly.

Originally posted by 5D404D4A5D5B424C2F0 link=1236567464/3#3 date=1236597409
          Just bought some Decaf Mocha Java
          Glad you got it ok Robert.
          8-)

Originally posted by 6C4E5D5D464A642F0 link=1236567464/1#1 date=1236594311
          No excuses for missing out if you need beans this time.  
          You would hope thats the case Carrie.... ask me again next week
          :

I also notice that this thread  has been read 340 times already and only 3 people posted something.  Strangely quiet for 340 caffeinated CSrs

I should also note, there is a HUGE amount of coffee this month because I need a pile of beans for Wicked Sunday.

BeanBay greens will prob get turned-off on Wednesday night so I can start packing beans into the SnobVan.

Comment

So many choices this month!   *drool*

Andy, just a suggestion would it be too much trouble to include the bean Varietals next time? E.g. Bourbon, Typica or mixed.
            I know its not too important, but I just think its always good to know what I am drinking.  

Comment

Hi Andy,

To folk festivaled out to type last night but I was at least 3 of the readers :

Dont know if it happened to many others but I actually got two email notifications?

Back on topic how does the Ethiopian Gambella Sundried compare to the Gambella Naturals of a few months ago?

Cheers for adding a couple of Robustas for a play as well

All I need now is a pack horse to cart my beans away from Fed Square on Sunday.

Comment

Andy thanks for the pronounciation help - never would have got it...  

beanflying - I have been drinking the Gambala Sundried and loving it. I bought it because I ran out of the Naturals. This is possibly my fav bean. Either as a single, or blended with about a third of something else for a bit of variety - a tiny bit of Brazil and a dose of PNG works well, or whatever you have that needs using... I usually have 3 or 4 beans ready to go at a time, good fun!
                I prefer the Gambala to the longberry, but they work great together as well, could be my roasting of the longberry too so will persist.
                Thinking about it, I havent actually tried the longberry as a SO yet. Must do that!

Comment

Email worked for me this month Andy..... hopefully now there is some Ethiopian left at 10.30

Comment

Thanks for the Longberry! will be placing my order for some roasted perfection shortly...

Comment

Originally posted by 6F686C636B617464636A0D0 link=1236567464/6#6 date=1236636660
                      how does the Ethiopian Gambella Sundried compare to the Gambella Naturals
                      They are both dry processed beans but the Sundried is a cleaner bean in appearance. I havent had them back to back but they seem very similar in the cup.

We will prob take some of the sundried to Wicked Sunday this weekend so you can check it out then.

Originally posted by 796C7E6C696C600D0 link=1236567464/7#7 date=1236640802
                      Andy thanks for the pronounciation help - never would have got it.
                      Ditto! I still read it as "hugh hugh" and have to tell myself "wee wee" which is why I included it in the post.

Curse my anglo tounge, it really struggles pronouncing many of the regions that we get beans from.
                      :

Comment

Originally posted by 63514257300 link=1236567464/8#8 date=1236644526
                        hopefully now there is some Ethiopian left at 10.30
                        We have lots of beans, in total maybe 500kg too much for BeanBay but thats so we can have a variety to sell on Sunday. You guys get first crack at em.

Originally posted by 545F45570801300 link=1236567464/9#9 date=1236644675
                        roasted perfection shortly
                        **blush** I always do my best Doug!

We roasted some of this last night for todays orders and I have to say I ate plenty of beans out of the cooling tray. Its a great "munching bean" too.

Comment

Hi Andy / Everyone

Andy, given that I love Sulawesi and its chocolately flavours (I seem not to be a fan of fruity flavours and havent enjoyed them so much in the past), are there any on this list that you would recommend to me as a backup to the Sulawesi?

Cheers
                          Di

Comment

Mmmm another 10kg month coming up by the looks of it ;D I hope I can park close to Fed Square.

Comment

The Sulawesi is fairly unique but the Indian Madikeri might suit your taste too, similar body and lower acidity without the coffee cherry fruit flavours of the dry processed Africans.

Comment

Working...
                              X