• Show
Clear All

• BeanBay Monthly Sale - Tues 7th April 2009

BeanBay Monthly Sale

TUESDAY 7th April 2009
    21:00 QLD, ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    20:30 SA, NT
    19:00 WA

In BeanBay starting at the above times we will have the following green beans:

Peru Ceja de Selva Estate - Organic certified at origin by Naturland this high grown coffee comes from an estate at the base of the Andes and is the best Peruvian organic I have ever tried.  The bean grading has some variation and like all true organic coffee there are some brokens and minor insect damage beans which add to the authenticity.  In the cup this washed (but not polished) coffee produces  great body with a long mid-palate profile.  Great as a single origin espresso or as a base to a more exotic blend. $10.50/kg*

Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo - this excellent Colombian coffee makes a return and the new crop is pretty much the same as the previous crop but with a slightly smaller average bean size.  Excellent processing and really easy to roast it has great body and retains the dark caramel sweetness at a CS9 roast depth.  Great single origin and the perfect Colombian blend base. $9.50/kg*

PNG Gouno Highlands - Sourced direct from the local farmers 80km south of Goroka the Gouno Highland coffee is grown at 2200 meters above sea level.  While not officially certified organic it is grown 100% naturally without the use of pesticides or herbicides and is only fertilised using natural forest floor mulch.  Purchased without a chain of middlemen means that an additional 20% goes directly back into local projects making this very fairly traded coffee.  Semi washed and very well processed it produces a bright, sharp espresso that really cuts through milk and will become a CS favourite for sure. $10.50/kg*

Brazil Cafezinho Bourbon is a sun dried, natural dry processed bean and as expected it produced a lot of chaff when roasting.  As espresso at a CS9 roast depth it is good bodied with an initial sweetness that then morphs as it rolls across the palate with just a touch of acidity to end up as very well rounded bean.  Good as a single origin Brazil (if you like S.O. Brazils) but for me it would shine as a major Brazil base that you would add something wild and funky to.$8.50/kg*

All green beans are packed into 2.5kg lots in CoffeeSnobs natural cotton bags.  These are perfect for storing your beans in a cool dark place for years.

* pricing includes $0.50/kg FairCrack donation.

Pickup Points

QLD - Veneziano - West End
    NSW - Real Coffee – Newcastle
    NSW - "cksyd" - Kellyville
    NSW - CafeBiz - Royal Randwick Racecourse (free freight)
    NSW - Cuppacoffee - Sylvania
    NSW - Coffee Parts – Pagewood
    ACT - "Cruiserman" – Calwell
    VIC - Veneziano - Abbotsford
    TAS - "Alistair1" - Launceston
    TAS - "rayzurhed" – Burnie
    TAS - "ParaM" – Hobart
    SA - The Coffee Barun - Sefton Park
    WA - "Caffeinefreak" – Wembley

As always, orders can be shipped using Australia Post express satchels which is always the quickest method of getting your order.

Roasted beans and other BeanBay items can be shipped to the pickup points too.  Roasted orders will be roasted as close to the shipping day as we can to ensure you still get fresh roasted beans.

We do ask that anything bought in BeanBay is paid for the same day so it wont hold-up other CSrs orders.  Any pickup point order that isnt paid for when we freight the interstate beans will not ship and you will either incur higher transport costs or the order will be cancelled without notice.

(beans should be at all the pickup points about the 1st of May)

The delivery date is a best guess as we are often at the whim of couriers around the country.  Generally when the beans arrive at the pickup point someone will post in this thread to let you know the pickup details, times etc.

Note:
    Sydney Free Freight for orders picked up at our CafeBiz stand on the 3rd or 4th May

Re: BeanBay Monthly Sale - Tues 7th April 2009

Wahoo! cant hardly wait!  

Comment

No decaf this month Andy?

Comment

Hi there, as a newcomer to this, can someone please tell me how the shipping works ? I am in Sydney, near CuppaCofee.

Is it cheaper to pick beans up from there ? Or to get them posted out ?

Thanks
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by 7C73796F786A71786B7871711D0 link=1239023412/3#3 date=1239054267
          Hi there, as a newcomer to this, can someone please tell me how the shipping works ?  I am in Sydney, near CuppaCofee.

Is it cheaper to pick beans up from there ?  Or to get them posted out ?

Thanks
          Andrew
          Hi Andrew,

Once you have purchased your beans, you will be presented with a number of shipping options. Least expensive is to collect your beans from your local pick up point.

Im not sure what specifically happens in Sydney, but in Melbourne, CSers drive from the other side of town for the opportunity to have a great shot or two, catch up with the grand poobah and chat with like-minded caffeine addicts

Enjoy...

2mcm

Comment

Grand Poobah?? You mean Andy or Den?  

Maybe we can get Andy to wear a Grand Poobah hat just to distinguish himself - not that he doesnt already have a distinguishing feature, but I just think he should wear the hat!

Comment

Its a South American Bonanza! Looks good to me. Peru. PeruPeruPeru. Thats all I can say.

Any tips on pronouncing Ceja (de Selva), Andy (or anyone)? Well need a bean-origin pronounciation wiki, soon.

Looking forward to it.
              Cheers,
              Stuart.

Comment

Unfortunately will be traveling for the next 2 weeks (bugger). Have a great Bean Bay

Comment

Originally posted by 0E51495F545F535A5A5959515D523C0 link=1239023412/4#4 date=1239055092
                  Im not sure what specifically happens in Sydney, but in Melbourne, CSers drive from the other side of town for the opportunity to have a great shot or two, catch up with the grand poobah and chat with like-minded caffeine addicts

Enjoy...

2mcm
                  Its a bit like a Trekkie (Star Trek) convention but without the skin tight uniforms and Spock lookalikes with pointed ears. But the look on the faces are the same, eager to the point of drooling and lingospeak (eg. first crack, slow ramp up, corretto etc) not easily understood by the common layperson.

Comment

Hi All,

On the topic of pronouncing - the Peru Ceja de Selva :

Ce - the first syllable sounds like "SE" in second
                    ja          the second syllable sounds like "HA" in hard

De - is like the "DE" in death (I couldnt think of another sound like it for now)

Sel - first syllable sounds like "Sell" (with a shorter L sound)
                    va - second syllable sounds like the "Va" in vast

The whole name translated to english literally means "Eyebrow of the Jungle" - it sounds really weird in english!!

I hope this helps people to say these coffee names!

ps - It helps to speak spanish as a first language

Cheers..

Comment

Muchos gracias!

Comment

Originally posted by 5D5A53533F0 link=1239023412/2#2 date=1239046783
                        No decaf this month Andy?
                        Yes, there is some decaf but not much. Any bean that we offer in small quantity is not included in the list to stop "I missed out" emails later.

Originally posted by 5E515B4D5A48535A495A53533F0 link=1239023412/3#3 date=1239054267
                        Is it cheaper to pick beans up from there ?Or to get them posted out ?
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1111152844

Australia Post Express satchel 3kg = $10 ($3.33/kg)
                        Australia Post Express satchel 5kg = $15 ($3/kg)
                        Pickup points - Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney x3, Canberra, Launceston, Burnie, Hobart, Adelaide, Perth = $1/kg
                        Pickup points - Melbourne (free because I drive em there!)

Because Im driving the van to CafeBiz the NSW- Randwick pickup will also be free.

Originally posted by 59534651515E4A4C3F0 link=1239023412/5#5 date=1239060941
                        distinguishing feature
                        Thanks Flynn, but I think Ill leave the Fez to CSr Habit, he got in first...

Originally posted by 715A486B507A4C4F4D5A4C4C503F0 link=1239023412/8#8 date=1239065067
                        drooling and lingospeak (eg. first crack, slow ramp up, corretto etc) not easily understood by the common layperson.
                        Yeah, I guess the Melbourne ones are a little like that NewToEspresso but we all enjoy it and if there are enough of us then we become the "normal" ones.
                        ;D

Originally posted by 5E4F5A60545651583F0 link=1239023412/9#9 date=1239065826
                        I hope this helps people to say these coffee names!
                        Excellent help thanks!

I struggle with a lot of these, might have to draw your linguistic skill in the future too.

Comment

No problems Andy, glad to give a little back to the forum

I can gladly help out in the linguistic department.

Comment

Not picking on Apekings translation but in doing a little pre bean bay reading and got "brow or edge of the jungle" as the translation which makes a litle more sense maybe.

Anyway couldnt find any more info on the bean apart from that so I will just have to buy some and try it

Comment

Beanflying - I think that makes more sense "brow or edge" when translated. However, literally and more commonly it means eyebrow.

You will always get differing meanings of words translated from one language to another.

Thats the fun and challenge about languages!

Comment

Working...
                              X