• Show
Clear All

• BeanBay Monthly Sale - Wednesday 10th June 2009

BeanBay Monthly Sale

WEDNESDAY 10th June 2009
    20:00 QLD, ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    19:30 SA, NT
    18:00 WA

In BeanBay starting at the above local times we will have the following green beans:

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe
    Stunning ground aroma and good acidity makes this a standout.  These small, narrow, long beans are unique in the coffee world and are only found in Yirgacheffe.  You get a more floral grind aroma off the lighter roasts but this bean works through a range of roast depths with a light body, bright acidity and easy to control through the roast. $9.50/kg*

Kenya Gitwe A
    Grown in Gitwe, milled in Thika, brokered through Nairobi and then makes its way to here.  Its certainly a long journey from tree to cup.  This Kenyan is very clean and well graded, high  acidity makes it work really well through milk and the darker roasts are full of cocoa.  It roasts really easily but due to the density give it plenty of heat early in the roast. Expensive at $11/kg but still great value compared to the $13/kg and $14/kg Kenyans that we are seeing land here at the moment.  $11/kg*

Brazil Original Bourbon
    This has been processed using the original pulp natural methods and then sorted and graded perfectly.  This bourbon varietal produces a lot of chaff during roasting and while it works through a range of roast depths, the darker roasts around CS10 will produce great dark cocoa, some sweetness and some stone fruit flavours with a heavy syrup texture that makes a great single origin espresso or the base for your own blend. $10/kg*

Peru Ceja de Selva Estate  
    Organic certified at origin by Naturland this high grown coffee comes from an estate at the base of the Andes and is the best Peruvian organic I have ever tried.  The bean grading has some variation and like all true organic coffee there are some brokens and minor insect damage beans which add to the authenticity.  In the cup this washed (but not polished) coffee produces  great body with a long mid-palate profile.  Great as a single origin espresso or as a base to a more exotic blend. $10.50/kg*

Jamaican Blue Mountain Mavis Bank Estate
    100% Blue Mountain from the Mavis Bank Coffee Factory (MBCF) which has the best reputation of all the Jamacain growers.  This coffee is wildly expensive so it is packed it in 1 kilogram lots. $90/kg*

Raw Cocao Beans - Balinese Wild Cocao
    Ready to roast and process into your own home made chocolate!  Natural raw cocao has some musty aromas when raw and depending on the fermentation level will also have some wine type smells.  This cocao smells like a cross between a really fruity shiraz and ribena (weird but true!).  It is not plantation grown, instead it is picked from wild, natural growing Trinitario variety cocao trees in Bali and is very unique in the chocolate world.  $26/kg*

Raw Cocao Beans - Mexico Soconusco
    From the original birthplace of chocolate, "Xoconusco" is on the border of Mexico and Guatemala and still produces the "Yemen of Cocao".  This one is super musty and will have some naturally appearing outer surface mould that will disappear during processing.  Famous, rare and traditional, this is a great cocao to home roast.  Forest picked, premium Criollo variety, organic at origin, naturally less bitter in flavour this low fermentation cocao will produce something pretty close to the worlds first chocolate. $30/kg*

PNG Broken Pekoe grade 1
    Ceylon English Breakfast Tea
    Darjeeling Kanchenjunga
    Earl Grey blended tea

Plus some really cool Australian made keyrings and lapel pins.

All green beans are packed into 2.5kg lots in CoffeeSnobs natural cotton bags.  These are perfect for storing your beans in a cool dark place for years.

* pricing includes $0.50/kg FairCrack donation.

Pickup Points

QLD - Veneziano - West End
    NSW - Real Coffee – Newcastle
    NSW - "cksyd" - Kellyville
    NSW - Cuppacoffee - Sylvania
    NSW - Coffee Parts – Pagewood
    ACT - "Cruiserman" – Calwell
    VIC - Veneziano - Abbotsford (20/6/09 10:30-11:30)
    TAS - "Alistair1" - Launceston
    TAS - "rayzurhed" – Burnie
    TAS - "ParaM" – Hobart
    SA - The Coffee Barun - Sefton Park
    WA - "Caffeinefreak" – Wembley

As always, orders can be shipped using Australia Post express satchels which is always the quickest method of getting your order.

Roasted beans and other BeanBay items can be shipped to the pickup points too.  Roasted orders will be roasted as close to the shipping day as we can manage to ensure you still get fresh roasted beans.

We do ask that anything bought in BeanBay is paid for the same day so it wont hold-up other CSrs orders.  Any pickup point order that isnt paid for when we freight the interstate beans will not ship and you will either incur higher transport costs or the order will be cancelled without notice.

We hope to get all the beans to the pickup points by the 27th of June.

This delivery date is a best guess as we are often at the whim of couriers around the country.  Generally when the beans arrive at the pickup point someone will post in this thread to let you know the time/date that you should meet for the pickup.

Re: BeanBay Monthly Sale - Wednesday 10th June 2009

For some tips on roasting and processing raw cacao beans check-out Chocolate Alchemy -- a great resource.

http://www.chocolatealchemy.com/roasting.php

There are a few CSrs that have done this before and have had good results. The following thread was started a couple of years ago, last updated about 12 months ago and is prob a good place to talk about this years batch of cacao beans too.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174018247

Comment

OMG what are you doing to us Andy. Christmas was once a year before I joined CS nows its monthly

Cheers 8-)

Comment

Wow, have I been waiting for this one!

Sooo, who can tell me about the Blue Mountain? Ive always wanted to try some but it is a lot for a miserly student. So, go on, convince me to spend up ;D

Been waiting for the cacao beans, so thats taking a chunk out of the wallet already. I now have the equipment to process it, so no chocolate flavoured sand for me! :P

Comment

woot, my first Beanbay proper! time to start building the stash ....

Comment

Originally posted by 7A4B5C4544434845532A0 link=1244562292/3#3 date=1244581460
            Wow, have I been waiting for this one!

Sooo, who can tell me about the Blue Mountain? Ive always wanted to try some but it is a lot for a miserly student. So, go on, convince me to spend up ;D

Been waiting for the cacao beans, so thats taking a chunk out of the wallet already. I now have the equipment to process it, so no chocolate flavoured sand for me! :P
            Mate, I think that the general concensus here on CS is that the JBM is worth trying mainly to say that you have tried it, (and many have appreciated the opportunity to try it), no-one has said it was worth the dollars it costs IIRC.  Compared to the Yemen that has been offered at a better although still premium price, I thought many really liked that.
            IF you have money to spend OK go ahead on the basis that you can say you have tried it, just be aware that the law of diminishing returns for the extra cost applies here just as much as in any other area.  
            Think you might get better bang for your buck buying the cocao beans and making some chocolate that is unique.

Comment

wow, what an exciting line up Andy
              Ive always wanted to try Yirg, Ive never had it, and its supposed to be a classic! The cocoa is verrrrrrry tempting, thanks for the link to the Alchemist, Ill go look and if its do-able Ill buy some tonight.
              Good on you Andy!
              yay!
              Rolley

Comment

im pretty excited ! ! (:

Comment

Being unemployed (still) would normally preclude me atm from BB but the chocolate is very tempting.

Andy will the chocolate be in 1kg lots?

Comment

Originally posted by 605C415A505146535B50340 link=1244562292/8#8 date=1244592978
                    Andy will the chocolate be in 1kg lots?
                    Yeah, due to its price, Id love to be able to get just 1kg of Cocao? Also, is this Cocao a once off? Or do you plan on selling it in coming months.

Comment

Its the middle of winter I have no money and then you go and do this to my already bloated stash of goodies :-/

Now where is my coin collection, time to look behind the couch as well anyone want to buy a slightly used Syphon

Comment

Originally posted by 3F383C333B312434333A5D0 link=1244562292/10#10 date=1244594357
                        Its the middle of winter I have no money
                        Actually weve only just begun ;D

Comment

You should be here today and for the last couple, worse than last week 4" of rain, 10 degrees today with a bit of Hail thrown in and a 30 knot wind Brrrrr As I type currently Sunny so go figure.

Going for a Cup of Esme to cheer me up

Comment

Originally posted by 6A6D69666E647161666F080 link=1244562292/12#12 date=1244595375
                            You should be here today and for the last couple, worse than last week   4" of rain, 10 degrees today with a bit of Hail thrown in and a 30 knot wind Brrrrr   As I type currently Sunny so go figure.
                            Ha ha... thats no good... I thought our 2 hours of sunshine in the past 5 days was a good effort!! Of cause its sunny as today, but well be lucky to reach double digits in temperature :-(

And worst of all, I havent had a coffee yet!!

Comment

As excited as I am about the cocoa, it all looks a bit too messy & fraught with disaster. Plus I would feel obliged to spend more $$ on equipment to process the cocoa. I think Ill wait and see what stories get posted after this months BeanBay, and have a chuckle at someone elses expense before delving into this.

Good luck to all those who are game to try processing the cocoa into chocolate.

Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X