• Show
Clear All

• BeanBay Monthly Sale - TUESDAY 11th August 2009

BeanBay Monthly Sale
    TUESDAY 11th August 2009

20:00 QLD, ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    19:30 SA, NT
    18:00 WA

In BeanBay starting at the above local times we will have the following green beans:

Sulawesi Tana Torajah Kalosi - This is a grade one Torajah from our latest Indo shipment. Deep motley green in colour from the wet hulling. Processing is good, a few splits and chips (like wet hulled Indos normally get) but a fairly even roaster. Rich, deep body in an espresso with a cleaner lingering finish than some of the earthier Sulawesi coffees. A great single origin coffee. $9/kg*

Sumatra Mandheling Mystic TP - (TP=Triple Picked) Wet Hulled, blue/green large beans that produce a ton of chaff when roasting. Loads of body with a lingering rich earthy taste. Works well in milk and as espresso in the CS9-CS10 range. $10/kg*

Ethiopian Gambella Naturals. Its back, the new crop of the ugly bean but this year its far less ugly. This years crop looks like a cross between a yirg and a harrar with a long thin bean shape typical of the old growth Ethiopian trees. Sun dried, dry process and produces rich dark syrupy espresso shots full of earthy spice. Great as a bold single origin or add it to a base bean to tame it a little. $9/kg*

Ethiopia Harar Star - produced by MOPLACO (MOcca PLAntation COffee). A dry processed Ethiopain Harar (Harrar) and by far the most expensive one that we have ever landed. It roasts fairly evenly with only the odd yellow bean and produces a soft, mid bodied cup with fruity berry notes. Great at a CS9 roast depth but might work either side ok too. $13/kg*

Papua New Guinea Wahgi AA. Another CS’r favourite, very well processed, very large beans that produce a sweet espresso at CS9-CS10 and a brighter “cut through milk” type shot as CS8-CS9 roast depth. Very easy to roast and get great results. $11/kg*

And:
    Java Washed Grade 1 Robusta
    Java Blawan Estate WP1
    Sumatra Sipangan Bolon Grade 1
    Brazil Original Bourbon

And a new tea:
    Sumatran Orange Pekoe Superior

And even:
    Raw Cocao Beans - Balinese Wild Cocao
    Raw Cocao Beans - Mexico Soconusco

All green beans are packed into 2.5kg lots in CoffeeSnobs natural cotton bags. These are perfect for storing your beans in a cool dark place for years.

* pricing includes $0.50/kg FairCrack donation.

Pickup Points

QLD - Veneziano - West End
    NSW - Real Coffee – Newcastle
    NSW - "cksyd" - Kellyville
    NSW - Cuppacoffee - Sylvania
    NSW - Coffee Parts – Pagewood
    ACT - "Cruiserman" – Calwell
    VIC - Veneziano - Abbotsford (Sat 22/8/09 10:30-11:30)
    TAS - "Alistair1" - Launceston
    TAS - "rayzurhed" – Burnie
    TAS - "ParaM" – Hobart
    SA - The Coffee Barun - Sefton Park
    WA - "Caffeinefreak" – Wembley

As always, orders can be shipped using Australia Post express satchels which is always the quickest method of getting your order.

Roasted beans and other BeanBay items can be shipped to the pickup points too. Roasted orders will be roasted as close to the shipping day as we can manage to ensure you still get fresh roasted beans.

We do ask that anything bought in BeanBay is paid for the same day so it wont hold-up other CSrs orders. Any pickup point order that isnt paid for when we freight the interstate beans will not ship and you will either incur higher transport costs or the order will be cancelled without notice.

We hope to get all the beans to the pickup points by the end of the month

This delivery date is a best guess as we are often at the whim of couriers around the country. Generally when the beans arrive at the pickup point someone will post in this thread to let you know the time/date that you should meet for the pickup.

Re: BeanBay Monthly Sale - TUESDAY 11th August 2009

Please note:
    Due to the small quantity of this Ethiopian Harar it will be limited to a single 2.5kg per person for the first half hour. Any still in BeanBay after that will go back into the pool for people to grab whatever they like.

8-)

Comment

Great Bean Bay offerings this month Andy

I have my eye on a couple

KK

Comment

That Waghi AA is going to go faster than a Tim Tam at a Jenny Craig meeting.

And thanks for the ballpark roasting guides, most appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by 43766F653130060 link=1249821296/3#3 date=1249824308
          That Waghi AA is going to go faster than a Tim Tam at a Jenny Craig meeting.
          **cack** @ Tim Tam joke

Yes, the Whagi will go fast and people will missout (and sadly get upset) but we are waiting on more to arrive for the next BB... it just didnt quite make it in time for this one.

With 10 or more coffees, 6 teas, 2 cocoas and 2 cacao beans there is plenty of choice for everyone.

Enjoy!

Comment

Not fair!  [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif]  [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] I have to go to an AGM on Tuesday evening [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]

Comment

I am goung to take 2 sleeping pills and go to bed at 9.55pm NZ time.
              What a list :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 517E7469100 link=1249821296/4#4 date=1249825723
                With 10 or more coffees, 6 teas, 2 cocoas and 2 cacao beans there is plenty of choice for everyone.
                Sounds great Andy, I hope to have success this month, was too late for some offerings last month, gotta be quick I see.
                As a novice to the art of roasting, Im very intrigued with the raw Cacao beans, whats the deal there with home roasting and processing?
                Blue Skies.

Comment

Ooohhhh... I love this time of the month! Pity I have a tennis lesson at 7.30. Ill just cross my fingers that it rains and gets postponed. It has almost every week so far :-P Gotta love Tassie!

So Andy, does the quality of the harrar match its higher price? Not that I care too much -- Can never buy too much harrar!

I notice that all the featured beans this week are from either Ethiopia or Indonesian/png? Is this just how it turned out, or does coffee availability depend on what season we are in?

Im also a fan of Orange Pekoe Tea -- so Ill be building up my selection of tea for work!

Comment

Originally posted by 475F4D575559340 link=1249821296/7#7 date=1249856603
                    Im very intrigued with the raw Cacao beans, whats the deal there with home roasting and processing?
                    Blue Skies.
                    Roasting...easy! You should be able to do it on whatever coffee roasting setup you have, or if not simply in your oven. Search for chocolate alchemy for much advice.

Processing is more difficult. Jump to the Mmmmm...chocolate thread under wishing well for chocolate info. Im going great in my chocolate making. Put any questions you have up on the chocolate thread and I will do my best to answer them for you. Will check it tonight.

Comment

Yeah I have space back in my storage bins Back to only 50kgs and NEED most if not all of these :

Comment

Originally posted by 0A372F322A30273B420 link=1249821296/8#8 date=1249860656
                        does the quality of the harrar match its higher price?
                        Hard to tell. All the best African coffees have had a very sharp price rise, great Kenyans are $13-$15+ and we are seeing similar from all African countries. I think this Harar is a ripper (else I wouldnt have bought it). It roasts pretty evenly for a dry process bean and is full of blueberry goodness in the cup. I think it justifies the price, it will be interesting to hear thoughts from other CSrs after they roast it.

Originally posted by 0A372F322A30273B420 link=1249821296/8#8 date=1249860656
                        are from either Ethiopia or Indonesian/png?Is this just how it turned out, or does coffee availability depend on what season we are in?
                        ... a bit of both and the other variable is my own bias ;-)

These are amazing coffees and we grab them as soon as they land here. The indos we cupped 3-4 months ago and pre-bought nearly $20k worth of them! Crop and shipping cycles play a big part but there are times of the year where particular countries are really good too. We have a pile of Centrals and South American heading here over the next couple of months so it will look like a central bais then.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F606A770E0 link=1249821296/11#11 date=1249874452
                          All the best African coffees have had a very sharp price rise, great Kenyans are $13-$15+ and we are seeing similar from all African countries.
                          Thats fair. I hope that the workers are getting a bigger cut now :-)

It roasts pretty evenly for a dry process bean
                          A Harar that roasts evenly? This Ive gotta see (and buy) :-)

We have a pile of Centrals and South American heading here over the next couple of months so it will look like a central bais then.
                          Oooh.. I cant wait! Ive been drinking some Guatamala SHB lately, and its been amazing!

Comment

more interesting beans to play with! woo hooo, thanks Andy!

I have some Kuda Mas at home that Ive been enjoying so itll be interesting to compare with the Mystic TP.

Another Indo and a chance to grab some Wahgi to have a go at roasting myself isa attractive too...

Then more Ethiopians!

Im gonna need a bigger boat ...

Comment

Originally posted by 454C574E4548402D0 link=1249821296/13#13 date=1249880643
                              Kuda Mas at home that Ive been enjoying so itll be interesting to compare with the Mystic TP
                              Chalk and cheese... we have had multiple Kuda Mas samples over the years and they never get close this level of bean. Will be interesting to see if you agree.

Originally posted by 454C574E4548402D0 link=1249821296/13#13 date=1249880643
                              Im gonna need a bigger boat
                              I certainly know what you mean!

Comment

Working...
                              X