• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monthly BeanBay GREEN Bean Sale - Sunday 10th April 2011

coffeesnobs.com.au
    Monthly BeanBay GREEN Bean Sale

Sunday 10th April 2011
    8pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

8pm QLD, ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    7.30pm SA, NT
    6pm WA

The beans available at the above date/times will be:

Malawi Nyika Peaberry $11.50/kg*
    Possibly the roundest peaberry I have ever seen, they are nearly round from end to end as well as longways.  Perfectly graded and clean this Malawi peaberry is fairly similar in style to the AA we also have, roasted to a CS 9-10 its full of cocoa flavours with enough acidity to cut through the milk.

Ethiopian Harrar Star Double Sort $14/kg*
    Easily the highest grade Harrar we have ever landed.  Dry processed Harrars are typically full of sticks and stones due to the patio drying, this one we paid extra for double sorting and picking.  After drying they run it though the sorting tables twice to make sure that all the odds and ends are removed, it costs more per kilo more but I think its well worth it both in quality and the fact that the farmers get paid better for the same bean.  Beautiful sweet red berry aroma even as a green bean green its easy to roast but can run away at the end so keep an eye on it.

Nicaragua La Gloria Las Brisas $13.50/kg*
    From the Nicaraguan La Gloria Estate the Las Brisas is a microlot coffee, hand selected from only a small section of the Caturra plantation.  Washed and well graded it produces a huge bodied single estate espresso that is initially sweet with a enough brightness on the end to leave a crisp apple finish.  Excellent coffee but very limited availability. 

Kenya Kagongo Peaberry $20.50/kg*
    Kenya Kagongo Peaberry is a a stunning coffee with near perfect processing.  As a green bean it has a sweet fruity aroma and those same florals leap from the grinder.  In the cup it produces a bright lifting espresso, add a splash of milk in a Macchiato to bring the sweetness out of the beans and give the best balance.  This is the second half of the previous shipment we have been waiting on.

Bali Danau Batur $11.50/kg*
    This is a fully washed coffee from the highlands of North East Bali. An area best known for robusta they also produce small amounts of quality arabica coffees on the higher slopes each season. These large, grade A sized beans produce a sweet, slightly spicy espresso shot with plenty of body at a CS9 roast depth. Oh, expect plenty of chaff during roasting too.

* price per kilo packed in 2.5kg CoffeeSnobs cotton bags and includes the FairCrack $0.50/kg donation.

You can select direct shipping via Australia Post and Star Track Express along with some other options depending on where you live or you can collect your paid order from...

Pickup Points (one per state)

QLD - Veneziano - West End
    NSW - "cksyd" - Kellyville
    NSW - Erkochurch - Erskinville
    TAS - "ParaM" – Hobart
    SA - Fiefys Specialty Cafe - 45 Pirie St, Adelaide
    WA - "Caffeinefreak" - Wembley
    VIC - Veneziano - Abbotsford -- (30/4/2011 10.30-11.30)

We hope to get beans to the pickup points by: 30/4/2011
    (it could be before that but shipping around Easter isnt a very exact science)

This delivery date is a best guess as we are often at the whim of couriers around the country. 

Generally when the beans arrive at the pickup point someone will post in this thread to let you know the time/date that you should meet for the pickup.

Dont annoy the pickup point please.

Re: Monthly BeanBay GREEN Bean Sale - Sunday 10th April 2011

Originally posted by 6B444E532A0 link=1302187178/0#0 date=1302187178
    The beans available at the above date/times will be:

(Announced after I know what clears from the docks tomorrow and will see how much I can pack before Sunday night)
    Andy we all wish you drink enuf coffee to stay up late 

Comment

;D

Comment

Its been a while for me so have obviously missed the details; whose arranging the Erkochurch (NSW) pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by 1824392228293E2B23284C0 link=1302187178/3#3 date=1302221321
          whose arranging the Erkochurch (NSW) pickup?
          CSr, home roaster and minister "rogerfitz" is hosting the Erkochurch pickup. He has car parking, its close to the city and CSrs have good access through a range of times to grab their beans.

The first Erko pickup was last BeanBay and it went well for those that tried it out. Roger is a good guy and loves a chat too. We are trialing it for a few months and as long as there is enough volume shipping there we will keep it going.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E414B562F0 link=1302187178/4#4 date=1302233219
            Originally posted by 1824392228293E2B23284C0 link=1302187178/3#3 date=1302221321
            whose arranging the Erkochurch (NSW) pickup?
            CSr, home roaster and minister "rogerfitz" is hosting the Erkochurch pickup.  He has car parking, its close to the city and CSrs have good access through a range of times to grab their beans.

The first Erko pickup was last BeanBay and it went well for those that tried it out.  Roger is a good guy and loves a chat too.  We are trialing it for a few months and as long as there is enough volume shipping there we will keep it going.
            I can reccomend it..got a good cup of coffee and a friendly chat..great pick up point..

Comment

Well, I have just returned from a grand tour of the bond store at the airport and from the docks. The first post in this thread has been updated with the coffee that will be available on Sunday and depending on time maybe a couple of other small surprises too.

8-)

Comment

Ooh! i quality Harrar. I was thinking about buying a new Ethiopian just the other day and this one sounds very nice.

I can feel a Beanbay order coming on. First one for a while

Comment

Hurray my Kenya Peaberry 

Hands off everyone, you hear me, hands off  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 48535A4B5E4853525D4F5E493B0 link=1302187178/8#8 date=1302240781
                    Hands off everyone, you hear me, hands off
                    I must admit when I was filling-in the customs paperwork this morning I did think of you shapeshifter... well you and Kenneth Davids actually.

Kenneth Davids rated the same peaberry 95/100 (roasted by Temple in the States) and then took a swipe at "Snobs" in the latest newsletter.  I can only assume that "he got the huff" because someone called "Coffeesnob" (not me) commented on his  91 point Nespresso review last year.
                    http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=1803

I have been known to have a go at his very high Nespresso score in the past so I guess that makes us fair game.

So anyway, according to an independent taste test this fine Kenyan Peaberry is at least 4 points better than a "Ristretto Espresso Capsule (Black)" made on his "handsome Nespresso machine"
                    ;D

...although you might put the gap a little wider than that.
                    :

Comment

;D That is hilarious Andy

Best part: Best uses: pour-over-garden

Interesting reviews, loves his Guatemalas, I dont think I saw one under 90.

I honestly dont get how he can rate the peaberry a 95 and seemly put the nespresso blend in the same category with a 91.

Comment

Ooh, ive been waiting for another Nicaraguan bean.

Cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by 436C667B020 link=1302187178/9#9 date=1302242964
                          Kenneth David rated the same peaberry 95/100 (roasted by Temple in the States) and then took a swipe at "Snobs" in the latest newsletter. I can only assume that "he got the huff" because someone called "Coffeesnob" (not me) commented on his 91 point Nespresso review last year.
                          http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=1803
                          ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 624D475A230 link=1302187178/9#9 date=1302242964
                            commented on his  91 point Nespresso review last year.
                            Good lord! Now Im convinced that his reviews are just throwing darts at a SCAA poster. Im happy to be a coffee snob rather than a coffee wanker.

Comment

From coffeereview.com that Andy quoted
                              Who Should Drink It: An excellent short-shot espresso for convenience-first espresso lovers.
                              I would have thought that most of our fellow snobs here would appreciate a little effort to make our own espresso (or insert you favourite coffee) over convenience...

The best thing about that page is the one star review underneath the overly excitable review. 

Back to topic - looking forward to the Malawi and the Harrar especially 

Comment

Working...
                              X