• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monthly BeanBay GREEN Bean Sale - FRIDAY 13th May 2011

coffeesnobs.com.au
    Monthly BeanBay GREEN Bean Sale

Friday 13th May 2011
    8pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

8pm QLD, ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    7.30pm SA, NT
    6pm WA

The beans available at the above date/times will be:

Vietnam Son La Arabica $11.50/kg*
    Vietnam is the worlds second largest coffee grower but they mostly grow low altitude robusta, this is a Northern Vietnam Arabica from a region called Son La and is part of a government push to grow some high quality Arabica for the world export market.  Its a clean, well processed bean that produces a mid bodied well balanced espresso with just enough punch to stand-up in milk based drinks.

Flores Research Project $12/kg*
    The Flores Research Project coffee comes from the Bajawa district of the Island of Flores and is the result of many years work with the farmers to produce their best specialty coffee using a processing method that suits the region.  I wont describe the coffee at all, instead we want CSrs who purchase this coffee to provide their honest feedback in the cupping thread that will help aid the future direction of the regions farmers.   
    Please see: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1305212353

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Special Prep $12.50/kg*
    We have just landed the new crop Yirgacheffe and its a ripper!  Very well screened and hand graded it produces an amazing aroma off the grinder and is full of florals in the cup.  Great at a CS8 light roast but still interesting at a CS9 where the body improves.  An exciting and interesting coffee as espresso, syphon and drip.

Yemen Bani Ismail $24.50/kg*
    This is the second of 5 regional Yemens to land and no stranger to CSrs.  This years Yemen Bani Ismail is clean but very. very small and will be tricky to roast in any perforated drum roasters like the Hottop, Behmo or Alpenroast but will be fine in air roasters and solid drums.  Sun dried with a consistant small size these roast really well and it oozes off the group handle like melted chocolate.  The only way to stop at one doppio is to walk away from the machine!

* price per kilo packed in 2.5kg CoffeeSnobs cotton bags and includes the FairCrack $0.50/kg donation.

You can select direct shipping via Australia Post and Star Track Express along with some other options depending on where you live or you can collect your paid order from...

Pickup Points (one per state)

QLD - Veneziano - West End
    NSW - "cksyd" - Kellyville
    NSW - Erkochurch - Erskinville
    TAS - "ParaM" – Hobart
    SA - Fiefys Specialty Cafe - 45 Pirie St, Adelaide
    WA - "Caffeinefreak" - Wembley
    VIC - Veneziano - Abbotsford -- (28/5/2011 10.30-11.30)

We hope to get beans to the pickup points by: 27/5/2011

This delivery date is a best guess as we are often at the whim of couriers around the country. Generally when the beans arrive at the pickup point someone will post in this thread to let you know the time/date that you should meet for the pickup.

Please dont annoy the pickup points by asking for your beans before they let you know they are available for collection.

Re: Monthly BeanBay GREEN Bean Sale - FRIDAY 13th May 2011

Flores project beans sounds like an interesting idea, only problem is my palate is really awful

Know a good coffee when I try it but can never sense the individual flavours everyone else seems to be able to pick up on

Andy youre rotten for putting up another BB just after ive picked up my beans in Melb a couple weeks ago :P, will have to try and hide another bag in the cupboard...

Comment

Originally posted by 637B617C60676A717C7A130 link=1305211136/1#1 date=1305240336
      Flores project beans sounds like an interesting idea, only problem is my palate is really awful
      Dont get too hung-up on that. You know what you like and what you dont like and that is enough to give the project the next step.

The questions that Tony wants answered as pretty casual...

1: Comments on coffee. Appearance, how it roasts, any issues, any good points.

That one is easy, we all do that now.

2: Compare this with other coffees.... it is like a..... and why?

We all do this to a degree too.

3. Overall rating of coffee including any description such as.... acidity. body, flavour characteristics.

He wont need SCAA cupping sheets (although if anyone want to they can) and really I doubt the hard value of some of these answers as there are a lot of variables in the roasting and brewing. Any feedback will be useful to his research so dont stress too much about it.
      8-)

Comment

.....Inserts......*i wish i was not off to study overseas next month*............. :-[ i could get some but i would not get the chance to try allot of it...and as my bean collection is currently bludging!...*sigh*. 

Andys "Temptation Bean Bay" ...will have to wait awhile for me lol

Comment

ive not bought any green for ages, ill be stocking up tonight =)

Comment

Dang.... I was about to do my first ever BB but will be on stage tonight at 8pm. Does anybody know if the Bass Solo in the Mozart Req has an ad lib section specifically dedicated to singers wanting to fire up their iPhones and Order beans??? If I did do this the Requiem may be for my career, so Ill just have to hope that there is some of the Flores left for me when I get home. What a great initiative!

Comment

I should note... we have had some freight price movements this month too.

Star Track Express added a 9.5% fuel surcharge 6 weeks ago making everything more expensive, Australia Post had an increase 4th April (and two last year that we covered) and the price we were charging was nothing like what our actual costs were.

So...
              Star Track Satchels have gone up
              Star Track Road is steady (subsidised)
              Aust Post Satchels have gone up
              Aust Post Eparcel is steady (subsidised)
              Melbourne and some country Vic are now Fastway, some places will be a little more expensive, most are cheaper for large orders.

And seeing that we are charging actual shipping cost on all the above we are subsidising the pickup point freight more so even with the price hikes we still have $1/kg to all locations including WA, TAS and QLD that are all way more expensive.

As always, BeanBay will show you all the shipping options for your location with a price per kilo breakdown so you can decide which method suits your budget and time frame best.
              8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 57475041410706050D0206350 link=1305211136/5#5 date=1305262542
                Ill just have to hope that there is some of the Flores left for me when I get home. What a great initiative!
                Yeah, Im excited that we managed to get some of such a small lot so we could "do our bit". It would be nice to see them hit the world stage one day in the future and know that we played a small part in the whole process.

We have a fair amount of it and there should be some available later but like everything, once its gone its gone.

Originally posted by 57475041410706050D0206350 link=1305211136/5#5 date=1305262542
                Mozart Req Singers
                Cool! Hope it all goes well.

Comment

Andy, Ive just received my Flores Gunung Inerie beans (and my Wow browns: thanks for the great service) which I havent yet tried. Do you think its worthwhile buying the new Flores Research Project coffee and comparing it with the Gunung Inerie coffee? One is PN and the other FW. Or should I compare it with another bean from some other place?

Comment

Tonys question:
                    2: Compare this with other coffees.... it is like a..... and why?
                    ...is more about your initial gut feelings when you try it.

I really dont want to say much more about this coffee as I dont want to sway the results (which is why there are no notes with this one).
                    8-)

Comment

The research project has got me curious but I already have stock to last about a year :-X

Perhaps I should just resit until after master chef and Jamie Oliver. This may make the decision for me :-/

I must admit I did wonder how you kept the freight so low.

Silly me thought you must bribe the local postmaster.

Is this subsidization sustainable? Thats a different issue.

Comment

Well Andy your advice has once again swayed me to buy some of the Flores if I can get hold of it

Originally posted by 343F3E0F3E3139223E500 link=1305211136/10#10 date=1305277597
                        Silly me thought you must bribe the local postmaster.

Is this subsidization sustainable? Thats a different issue.
                        This is one of many reasons why everyone thinks Andy is a top bloke

Im really fortunate to live in west Melb, so can collect my beans for free when Andy does pickup in Abbotsford, something I am very grateful for

Comment

Andy, considering how coffee price has doubled since last year I am amazed how you still manage to keep beanbay prices so reasonable. 8-)

Comment

my thinking exactly rudy - ive seen an increase on average of a couple dollars per kilo, unless its just the different prices

I think from memory Andy mentioned we may not see the rise until around june or july when the beans land here

Price rise or not I wouldnt buy from anyone else

Comment

Server was incredibly slow tonight, but thankfully got my order through.

I was so excited when i saw the Kona available (your surprises are always awesome, Andy), so im very glad that i managed to get some in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X