Monthly BeanBay GREEN Bean Release

SUNDAY 11th November 2012
    20:00 AEDT

8:00pm ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS
    7:00pm QLD
    7:30pm SA
    6:30pm NT
    5:00pm WA
    (I'm pretty sure thats the correct daylight savings times)

The new release beans that will appear in BeanBay are:

Thailand Chiang Mai $9.00/kg*
    Chiang Mai in the far north is one of the main arabica coffee growing regions of Thailand. Clean and evenly graded this coffee is a chaff monster in the roaster. In the cup it's very balanced with low acidity and good body which produces a very easy drinking espresso. Very good coffee and well priced this will develop a CS fan club in no time.

Bolivia Green Mountain Estate $11.50/kg*
    Green Mountain Estate is located in the Caranavi high country of Bolivia and everything they produce is certified organic by the Organic Crop Improvement Association (OCIA) and Fairtrade. This coffee produces a really big bodied espresso, smooth and viscious with low acidity at a CS9 roast depth with an initial sweetness that works great in milk

Cuba Turquino $10.50/kg*
    Cuba Turquino clean, washed and well processed this Cuban coffee is very good to roast and produces an espresso full of spicy notes and balck tea tannins at a CS9 roast depth. Interesting coffee and hard not to do a cigar association of tobacco, leather, wood and spice as the lingering flavours retain a drying peppery finish.

Sulawesi Blue Peaberry $13.50/kg*
    Sulawesi Blue Peaberry is one of the best graded wet hulled coffees I've ever seen. All the peaberries are the same size range and very few have the typical wet hulled cow hoof splits or the brokens. More dense than the Sulawesi Blue it takes a hotter, slower roast and I think works best at high CS9. Spicy, heavy, syrup like pours with a super body and a nice sweet blood plum finish. Hard to stop at one shot of this one when you get the roast profile right.

* price per kilo packed in 2.5kg CoffeeSnobs cotton bags and includes the FairCrack $0.50/kg donation.

You can select direct shipping via Australia Post (express or road) and Star Track Express (air or road) along with some other options depending on where you live or you can collect your paid order from Morgan Street (when I'm there, late afternoons preferred).

Pickup Points (one per state)
    (only an available option for a couple of days either side of the sale date).

QLD - "Simon T" - Brissy
    NSW - Erkochurch - Erskinville
    TAS - "ParaM" – Hobart
    SA - Fiefys Specialty Cafe - Adelaide
    WA - "Greeman" - Warwick
    VIC - Veneziano- Abbotsford(Sat 17th 10:30-11:30 only)

We hope to get beans to all the pickup points by: 24/11/2012

This delivery date is a best guess as we are often at the whim of couriers around the country. Generally when the beans arrive at the pickup point someone will post in this thread to let you know the time/date that you should meet for the pickup.

Please don't annoy the pickup points by asking for your beans before they let you know in this thread they are available for collection.

Enjoy!

Nice range this month Andy, I don't think we've had anything from Thailand, Bolivia or Cuba before?
    Cheers, Jason.

P.S. Congrats on winning the 2012 Golden Bean too, well done!!

Comment

Originally posted by JasonD View Post
      Nice range this month Andy, I don't think we've had anything from Thailand, Bolivia or Cuba before?
      Cheers, Jason.
      I agree. Nice looking beans. I'm thinking of giving that Bolivian a go!

Comment

Originally posted by JasonD View Post
        I don't think we've had anything from Thailand, Bolivia or Cuba before?!
        We've had Bolivian Caranavi before (2009) - and Green Mountain as well I think. We've had the Turquino as well - still got about a kg left.

The Thai sounds interesting.

Comment

Gee Andy... Was hoping to skip another month, but I reeeallly like that Cuban

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
            The Thai sounds interesting.
            Yes, totally agree

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
              I agree. Nice looking beans. I'm thinking of giving that Bolivian a go!
              The Bolivian GME won a Silver in the CoffeeSnobs Espresso Category of the recent Golden Bean awards if that is a recommendation.

GrahamK

Comment

The Bolivia Green Mountain we have had but it went very fast, Cuba we typically get once a year in small quantity but the Thailand is new.

When Fiefy and I were in Thailand for the Barista competition a few years ago we were flown to Chaing Mai by the president of the Special Coffee Association and he drove us to a project farm. The highlands there are stunning and had mostly grown tea and opium poppy prior to the King of Thailand paying farmers to plant coffee instead of opium. (with my import permit) I bought back a couple of kilo of greens in hand luggage and it was great coffee. A Bangkok roaster, Chartree has also bought me some Chaing Rai coffee (from further north) and I've met a couple of other growers over the years. It's an area with a lot of potential for the future. Currently nearly all of the coffee is consumed on the Thai local market but I expect that will change quickly as their processing and freight logistiics improve.

The Bolivian GME won a Silver in the CoffeeSnobs Espresso Category of the recent Golden Bean awards if that is a recommendation.
                It sure did, and I'm not that surprised that a bean at that grade roasted well scored a medal.
                Actually a lot of BeanBay beans figured in the medal tally, it's great to see people getting such good results with 'em.

It has a good fan club... I know one local that will be doing cartwheels to get it. It "his" bean, the one that clicked and everything else he's had since is a compromise (for him) and I don't know of any other bean thats like a Cuban except for... a Cuban!

Comment

Had a bag of the Bolivian GME last year. Made a great base bean in a base plus moka java. 4:3:2.

Also went well with the Burundi Kayanza Kinyovu Lot 1 in the blend. This (the BKK) would probably be my favourite single bean so far.

Looking at Andy's description of this months offering, I'm predicting a 60/40 blend of the Bolivian GME with the Cuban Turquino will be nice.

And I bags the name "Green Turquino".

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by ST View Post
                    Aaaand a bag each of the Cuban and the Thai (along with some Chai) ordered and paid for. Thanks Andy

Comment

Gees it's quiet around here. Long gone are the days when new or popular beans are snapped up within minutes of BeanBay opening. Still, it's nice to log in 15 mins after opening and buy what you want without hassle.

Anyway, my first order since July. I managed to limit myself to the Thai bean as my stash meter is still in the red zone.

Comment

2.5kg each from Burundi, Bolivia, Mexico, and Sulawesi; It's like a round-the-world coffee trip ;-) Better stop buying for a bit...

Comment

Nup, not quiet... just smooth.
                          The server has 10 times the power of the "good 'ol days" and there are 100's of fast, sucessful sales in the background so people are on the site, buy, and off again in minutes.

Often there are more than 1000 people online at any given time on CoffeeSnobs so the server is doing a grand job of the load.

We also land a LOT more beans which stops the noise when we run out. Many of the beans that we have offered this year required a minimum order of more than a tonne to get LCL shipping and clearances so they should last for BeanBay night and hopefully a few weeks after.

Comment

It is much easier now. I really don't miss the struggle to purchase that last lot of the monthly special.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                              Nup, not quiet... just smooth.
                              The server has 10 times the power of the "good 'ol days" and there are 100's of fast, sucessful sales in the background so people are on the site, buy, and off again in minutes.
                              I meant 'quiet' as in very little post-BeanBay chatter. We use to get pages of it. The buying experience is as smooth as the proverbial. No more clicking on the 'Go' button with fingers crossed. Well done on getting it work so well.

I see you now have a Aeropress Kaffeologie filters in BeanBay. I was considering a .006 micron Able (Coava) disk but had to give one of these a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X