• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeanBay Green Bean Release - April 2016

BeanBay Green Bean Release - April 2016
    Available in BeanBay now:

Panama Finca La Mula Geisha

Panama Finca La Mula Geisha Special Reserve
    Possibly one of the most awarded coffees in the last year, it won the "Best of Panama" competition, it was the highest scoring coffee review coffee for the year and Gridlock roasted it to win gold in the Golden Bean single origin espresso category.
    Yes, this is a very special coffee.

Stock levels are tiny and the price is high due to import duties, permits, freight fees on such a small lot but if you are lucky enough to afford to try it you should be blown away.

Honduras Montana de Comayagua

Honduras Montana de Comayagua.
    This large bean, fully washed, high grown Honduran coffee is a ripper.
    Most Central American coffees can be a little thin but this one has a surprisingly good body. In the lighter roasts (CS8) the zesty citrus peel acidity shines through, taken a little darker (CS9) it becomes crisp, green apple like acidity. Really interesting coffee that works in a wide range of roast depths and should work in a wide range of brewing styles too.

...the required fine print...
    (with the exception of the 1kg Maui, 1kg Congo, 1kg Panama and the 2kg Elephant Monsoon) All BeanBay green beans are packed in 2.5kg zippered cotton bags, perfect for storage for up to 3 years when kept in a cool, dark and dry position. We ship paid orders out from the Snobbery Monday to Thursday and BeanBay will show the available shipping options to your area. Larger orders are typically cheaper to freight per kilogram so we suggest ordering all your requirements at once. We also strongly recommend that you ship to an attended address (eg: work or grandma's house) to avoid delivery delays.

Enjoy!

I'll tell you what, you wouldn't want to drop a bean or two of the Panama when transferring to the roasting chamber

Comment

No argument at all with the pricing, at the end of the day the market has set the price and I imagine Andy's price is as good as you will find it for anywhere -BUT!...its the rule of diminishing returns, a coffee that costs nearly 20 times as much as many fantastic coffees from regions all over the world cannot be 20 times better. Given my experience with Giesha's I would also say its a very different flavour profile and it wont be to everyone's taste. Kudos for Andy giving us the chance to try it if desired, but I for one know my $280 is better spent elsewhere!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
        I'll tell you what, you wouldn't want to drop a bean or two of the Panama when transferring to the roasting chamber
        dialling in grinder too

Comment

Its only $5.60 per 20 gram double shot. Sounds like a bargain if you look at it like that. I have paid that much for "coffee" at a cafe and it was rubbish.

Cheers

Comment

Guess it depends on your definition of a bargain.

As Jules remarked in Pulp Fiction "may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know" @ approx .33 cents a gram roasted waaaaay too rich for my blood.

No matter, I'm sure Andy will have no problem finding buyers, to those who do take the plunge, enjoy it, oh, and don't over cook em.

Comment

The Panama would be worth it just for the cool drawing of a dog on the packet

Comment

Originally posted by trentski View Post
                The Panama would be worth it just for the cool drawing of a dog on the packet
                Dog/Mule same thing :P

Comment

Its got a head like a cow moose.
                  Last edited by Yelta; 7 April 2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
                    Its only $5.60 per 20 gram double shot. Sounds like a bargain if you look at it like that. I have paid that much for "coffee" at a cafe and it was rubbish.

Cheers
                    Good point but don't forget to allow for 15% weight loss when roasting. That pushes it up to about $6.60 per double.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
                      Good point but don't forget to allow for 15% weight loss when roasting. That pushes it up to about $6.60 per double.
                      Spot on Flynn, see my post, #6, did the arithmetic and like you got .33 cents a gram = $6.60 for 20 grams.

Comment

Oops. You're correct , I didn't take into account the moisture loss.

Would be good to go in with a few people to make the cost more palatable (pardon the pun)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          Spot on Flynn, see my post, #6, did the arithmetic and like you got .33 cents a gram = $6.60 for 20 grams.

Should we also be making an adjustment for grind retention and resultant wastage?

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
                            Should we also be making an adjustment for grind retention and resultant wastage?
                            If that's what floats your boat.

PS !6% is significant.

Comment

So it would be $6.60/0.84= $7.86. Or $6.60 for Nino owners.......

Comment

Working...
                              X