• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeanBay Green Bean Release May/June 2019

BeanBay Green Bean Release May/June 2019

available in BeanBay now:

China Dai Muang Lem

China Dai Muang Lem hails from the southern Yunnan province renowned for growing excellent tea and is now one of the premium coffee growing areas of China. Clean and very well processed this coffee is really easy to roast and will produce a clean, balanced cup with good body. Exceptional value at $9/kg.

Colombia La Esperanza Geisha

Colombia Cafe Granja La Esperanza Gesha. This Geisha (or the African spelling Gesha) coffee is one of the very best coffees that Colombia produces.

Easy to roast, and at a CS8 it is sweet and balanced in the cup with a mid-high bodied viscosity that felt like velvet and stunning fruity aromatics that let you know straight away this is a very special coffee.

Previous winner of Coffee of the Year and winner of the Roasters Guild National Championship at the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) and Kenneth Davids scored it a monster 96.5

High price but this is the Grange of Colombian coffee so is packed in 1kg lots.

Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo

Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo - Well graded beans, clean and well sorted. This is a really easy bean to roast and works well through a range of roast depths. In the cup it produces a bold, slightly spicy espresso that stands-up well in milk based drinks.

When someone is looking for "strong coffee" often it's the flavour profile of a good Colombian like this they are looking for. Excellent all-round coffee.

Costa Rica Tarrazu SHB

Grown in the high altitude Tarrazu region, this very small but dense bean takes a fair bit of heat early in the roast and is well graded and roasts evenly. The resulting espresso at a CS9 is sweet and balanced in the cup and is a great value Central American bean.

OTHER BEANS:
    As they land and clear customs we will update this thread.

...the required fine print...

With the exception of the more expensive 1kg lots and the bulky 2kg Monsoon coffees, all BeanBay green beans are packed in 2.5kg zippered cotton bags, perfect for storage for up to 3 years when kept in a cool, dark and dry position.

We ship all paid orders out from the Snobbery Monday to Thursday and BeanBay will show the available shipping options and actual freight costs to your area. Larger orders are typically cheaper to freight per kilogram so we suggest ordering all your requirements at once and we also strongly recommend that you ship to an attended address (eg: work or grandma's house) to avoid delivery delays.

Monday to Thursday we will ship everything same day that we receive payment for but please remember bank lag means it will take at least a day for your payment to get to us even though your bank took it from you instantly. If you want it faster, don't procrastinate, please just order earlier, less stress and never have a reason to ask us "are we there yet?"

Enjoy!

Andy.

Great coffee selection there Andy, spoiled for choice...

Mal.

Comment

Yeah, all great coffees and the La Esperanza Geisha is truely amazing (although too pricey for an everyday cuppa).

We might try and offer it roasted (like we did with the last JBM) if there's enough interest in doing a batch.

Comment

Mmmm...

Professionally roasted "La Esperanza Geisha" certainly sounds enticing Andy, would be hard to pass up...

Mal.

Comment

I would get a kilo of roasted "La Esperanza Geisha".
          I am happy to fill "express your interest" form or do pre-order.

Andy, what is the smallest batch you can roast?

Comment

I’ve had that Geisha. It’s really really really nice.

Comment

Speaking of La Esperanza, is there any chance that we might see more of their Heirloom Red Bourbon that was in BeanBay a couple of years ago?.

Comment

is there any chance that we might see more of (INSERT ANYTHING) that was in BeanBay?
                No
                Yes
                Maybe
                Sure
                Never
                Soon
                Likely
                Possible

Until it appears in BeanBay it really doesn't exist!
                ...and never ask "are we there yet?"

Originally posted by gerbi View Post
                I would get a kilo of roasted "La Esperanza Geisha".
                I am happy to fill "express your interest" form or do pre-order.

Andy, what is the smallest batch you can roast?
                I can roast quite a small amount but much prefer the profiles of the 10kg and 15kg batch size.
                Every coffee roaster has some sweet spots that work far better and produce better results than other weights.

So 10kg green ($84.50 * 10kg =$845) produces 8kg roasted ($106/kg + freight within AU = $120)

If we do this we would take orders and payments in BeanBay at 1kg amounts until we have 8 and then roast it. If it doesn't get roasted the payment would stay in BeanBay as a credit. We would also pack the order as 2 x 500g so you can on-sell or gift one if you want.

If there is enough interest I'll give it a go.

Comment

$120 for a kilo delivered, that’s only $3 per 25g (proper double shot) cup. Most pay more for crap coffee at “cafes” without batting an eye lid.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
                    $120 for a kilo delivered, that’s only $3 per 25g (proper double shot) cup. Most pay more for crap coffee at “cafes” without batting an eye lid.
                    Good point and we've all done that.

I'm also not charging time or costs for roasting
                    (or god forbid, I muck-up the $845 roast and have to redo it!)

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post

Cheers
                      Hmm you're really going to want a zero retention grinder to make the maths work.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        Good point and we've all done that.

Yes, I'm guessing it would be a "full concentration" effort! very generous of you Andy, as always going above and beyond.

Originally posted by SanderP View Post
                        Hmm you're really going to want a zero retention grinder to make the maths work.

Cheers
                        Well most would consider 18-21g as a double, so 25 would allow for wastage.

Even if we double it to $6/cup to allow for huge retention and roasting costs it is still a great value cup for what you are getting!

Every time the bean releases are announced I read them and feel like a kid in a candy store!! so much awesome coffee.

Cheers

Comment

Andy, great offer. I would be interested in the 2x500g option. Thanks.

Comment

Put me down for any of your "dregs" roasts Andy and I'm happy to taste test for QA :-)

As Mal says, it does sound hard to pass up a one off "taste test" of the La Esperanza Geisha. Now how to explain such a purchase to wifey.

Wanting to taste test the Geisha green or roasted makes me feel a bit guilty as I have a bunch of other beans crying out for me to get off my generally neglected roasting hind quarters...

Comment

If there is enough interest I'll give it a go.
                              Please count me in.

Comment

Working...
                              X