• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered April 3:
    Guatemala Huehuetenango
    India Elephant Hills
    Ethiopia Shakisso

Dispatched at Andy's end on Monday afternoon (as expected)
    Auspost advised delivery sometime between Thurs April 9 and April 17.
    I was praying it would be April 9 so it wouldn't be sitting in a courier van all Easter. Surprised that my order was delivered on Saturday or more remarkably Easter Saturday.
    Auspost did warn there could be delays during the Covid pandemic but perhaps they were working OT to clear the backlog ... or Saturday is now part of their working week?

Anyway, whatever. It's here now and I can look forward to trying the fabled Shakisso or visiting my old friend Huey (no social distancing required). But what a pity, I have a Yemen roast sitting in the cupboard that requires my attention first. Rats (not) .

Comment

Good one. Saturday deliveries by Post and Fastway typically just mean they have a mountain of stuff at the depot and unless they invent another working day they'll never get to the bottom of the the pile.
      I know our local guys (during insanity periods like this one and Christmas) will deliver to work addresses on a Friday and domestic on a Saturday to catch up.

Happy roasting Flynn.

Comment

I also got my delivery on Easter Saturday. Sooner than expected all things considered. Excellent

Have first batches of all four coffees roasted and aging as we speak

Couldnt wait to sample the new Tanz and the Guat though - delighted with both! On first tasting (double ristretto with about 120ml milk) impressions as follows:

Tanz - crisp lemon, dark chocolate, hint of raspberry and floral notes. Elegant coffee

Guat - almond praline, marzipan, chocolate malt, mandarin. Comforting and easy to drink. Lovely!

Roast level was medium with about 2.5 mins development. Dropped before second crack

Looking forward to trying a filter roast of the Tanz in particular

Andy, many thanks for bringing these in just when I was running out of options in my green bean stash!

Comment

Jealous! I've got a bag of the Guat & Shakisso (plus a new Gene) that have made it as far as Melbourne in the 8 days since being shipped out by Andy 😔 Australia Post are killing me!

Comment

Originally posted by MxD View Post
            Jealous! I've got a bag of the Guat & Shakisso (plus a new Gene) that have made it as far as Melbourne in the 8 days since being shipped out by Andy 😔 Australia Post are killing me!
            You are not alone regarding that, according to Oz Post tracking, my shipment headed for Brisbane has not re-appeared on the radar since the 6th when Andy posted it. No doubt Easter + Covid-19 have collided with the shipments. 🙄

Comment

Somewhere there's a very happy Scrat sitting on top of a very large pile of greens.

Java "Who will, as always, in the end, be torn asunder, from his prize..." phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Wow this lockdown is killing the green bean consumption at my place... roasting every weekend rather than once a month. Another 9.5kg order placed yesterday to try and keep up!

Comment

Originally posted by shauno View Post
                  Wow this lockdown is killing the green bean consumption at my place... roasting every weekend rather than once a month. Another 9.5kg order placed yesterday to try and keep up!
                  9.5kgs? What did you order that isn’t in 2.5kgs lots? Curious.

Comment

Hi Andy,

What does 'SHB' stand for on the Costa Rican?

Luke

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
                    Hi Andy,

What does 'SHB' stand for on the Costa Rican?

Luke
                    Hard Bean (HB)
                    Coffees grown at altitudes above 3,000 feet are described as "Hard Bean" or HB; above 4,500 feet is referred to as "Strictly Hard Bean" or SHB. The higher altitudes and lower temperatures produce a slower maturing fruit and a harder, less porous bean, and are thus more desirable. Terms like SHB, SHG, and the like can vary from region to region, and are used more pervasively in Latin American coffee growing areas.

Comment

Originally posted by lemoo View Post
                      Hard Bean (HB) Coffees grown at altitudes above 3,000 feet are described as "Hard Bean" or HB; above 4,500 feet is referred to as "Strictly Hard Bean" or SHB. The higher altitudes and lower temperatures produce a slower maturing fruit and a harder, less porous bean, and are thus more desirable. Terms like SHB, SHG, and the like can vary from region to region, and are used more pervasively in Latin American coffee growing areas.
                      Thanks Lemoo, Ive been having some trouble with clumping in my grinder. This bean is a significant part of one of the blends I’ve been using. Harder beans would be more work for a grinder?

Comment

• lemoo
                        lemoo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        probably starting to get a little off topic but if you are having issues with clumping search the forums for WDT distribution or the use of a small spray bottle to "atomise" some water to reduce static

Hi Lemoo,

I'm quite aware of both those things you've suggested. If you read my question I wasn't asking about those things. I'm struggling to understand how I'm off topic by asking about how bean hardness affects how it goes through a grinder. Especially when I asking about a specific bean in this bean bay release!!

Comment

• lemoo
                        lemoo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        i meant my comment about how to reduce clumping was slightly off topic because this thread was about the months release of green beans and there was already existing threads regarding clumping/WDT/atomising water. calm down mate jeez
                    Working...
                    X