X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeanBay Green Bean Release Jan / Feb

Landed, packed and available in BeanBay now:

Kenya Naturals A

While many Kenyan coffees are overpriced or disinteresting in the cup, this one is a rare find. Natural processed coffee that has been screened to A size although I suspect they cheated a little as there are some smaller beans in there too. You'll also find a few ugly beans in the mix but that's fairly normal for an organic natural.
    As an espresso shot the mid to high body is the stand out attribute that most polished Kenyans lack, the green apple acidity is still there in lighter roasts and softens in the deeper profiles.
    Great coffee and top value at $10/kg.

Rwanda Nyungwe A

Rwanda Nyungwe A is a high altitude coffee grown in high rainfall area. Good sized beans, super clean washing and very well sorted. Really easy to roast this and it's a true cocoa bomb roasted to early CS10 on a long slow profile. Big bold coffee flavours pull this through tall milk drinks with ease. Excellent as a single origin, equally useful in a blend to fatten-up a soft coffee.

28 DIFFERENT BEANS IN BEANBAY AND EVEN MORE BEANS GETTING ADDED AS THEY ARRIVE

You know I don't like to tease and I hate playing "are we there yet" but we should be landing this years Yemen crop soon and I'm excited. The beans have been on a long journey and have just made it to Singapore. There were delays at the ports (all 4 ports) and the beans have moved way slower than expected which was made worse with bad weather causing connecting ships to miss each other. The last leg from Singapore on the 17th Jan takes them to Melbourne which should arrive on 31st Jan. Add a week for customs inspections, paper-shuffling and the additional bills and we should have them in the first half of February.

We also have some JBM and other goodies in transit but nothings as exciting as two Yemen stunners.

Oh, I'm getting sick of saying it but OSKO OKSO OSKO (and PayID)

Osko is free and very fast even on weekends and public holidays yet about half the CS'rs are still doing old slow EFT transfers which mean we don't get payment till the following day and your orders take a day longer than they should to ship from here. It's FREE, nearly all banks support it and it just takes a little effort from you to check your banks website to see how to use PayID or Osko.

EFT vs Osko is like a Pigeon vs Email.

---------------------------

...the required fine print...
    With the exception of the more expensive 1kg lots and the bulky 2kg Monsoon coffee, all BeanBay green beans are packed in 2.5kg zippered cotton bags, perfect for storage for up to 3 years when kept in a cool, dark and dry position. We ship all paid orders out from the Snobbery and BeanBay will calculate the available shipping options and actual freight costs to your area. Larger orders are typically cheaper to freight per kilogram so we suggest ordering all your requirements at once for the cheapest per kilo postage. We also strongly recommend that you ship to an attended address (eg: work, grandma's house, the pub) to avoid delivery delays and hassle. We ship everything the same day that we have received payment. Please remember bank lag means it can a day or two for your payment to get to us even though your bank took it from you instantly.

Osko payments are near instant and fee-free, PayPal payments are near instant and you pay their actual fees.

Typically, if you want it faster don't procrastinate, just order earlier for less stress and never have a reason to ask us "are we there yet?"

Click the +SUBSCRIBE to get email or forum notification of new posts in this area.
    Also see: BeanBay Green Bean sales It covers most of the likely questions.

Enjoy!

Andy.

Still have no access to either Osko or NPP systems via our Heritage accounts. NPP is only available in a limited way for iPhones or current Android phones, none of which we own...
    No commitment from Heritage as to when/if this will ever be available.

Mal.

Comment

• Andy
      Andy commented
      Editing a comment
      Heritage is a slow adopter for sure, the NPP went live Feb 2018.

It looks like some of their accounts will Osko though, this is from their T&C's: https://www.heritage.com.au/terms-conditions/npp

"Not all Heritage account types will be enabled to send and receive SCT and Osko Payments. For example, any savings account with lending functionality is excluded along with personal loans, credit cards and mortgage accounts. Please discuss this with us if you have any concerns."

Might be worth wandering into a branch and ask them to have a look at your accounts?
      (I had to do that with Westpac Business too)

• Barry O'Speedwagon
      Barry O'Speedwagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I guess the clue is in the name 'heritage'. Don't sound like early adopters.

For a moment there I thought you said *two* Yemens...

Comment

Hi not sure if this is the right place to ask (let me know if not!)
      I’m getting into coffee roasting at home, (just using a simple popcorn machine right now...) and I’m looking for a unique tasting or really unusual green beans to roast. Something out of the ordinary and out there but not super expensive that will work well for pour overs.
      I was looking at the yirga natural and the sidarmo natural.
      Any advice about what would be the right green beans to give a go?
      Cheers!

Comment

• WhatEverBeansNecessary
        WhatEverBeansNecessary commented
        Editing a comment
        Both you have suggested are great beans however... The natural processed coffees like those two are a bit more 'finicky' to get a roast right.

If you have a decent number of roasts under your belt and happy with the results then I would go for a natural processed Ethiopian with the Gambella being my absolute favourite. They have lovely fruity notes and a good body which works well in milk and straight espresso.

However if your still pretty new best starting of with something washed like the Colombian Vulcan or the PNG Wahgi - these are really easy to roast and hard to 'screw up' but still offer a great tasting bean and some good variation in flavours depending on the roast depth and profile etc.

But as Mal said - what have you tried so far? and what do you like? what coffees do you normally drink (milk, espresso, pour over, filter etc)? Would give us a good starting place for suggestions.

Better yet or something easy to start with plus something more adventurous and just play around and have fun!

Welcome mate...

Which beans have you tried so far?

Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal
        Thanks good to be here!
        I have tried roasting a natural Yirga in the past and current have a washed Ethiopian that I picked up (not sure anything about the beans beyond that tbh). I’ve tried a bunch of filter coffees at cafes of course and whatnot, so I was looking to expand into something a little more out there for me to roast at home!
        Defintley appreciated the uniqueness of natural process Yirga

Comment

I reckon Mal has tasted his way through a lot of beans so he'll give you some good advice.

If you're after something different you could try an aged bean like India Monsoon.

They have a unique personality.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dudemeister View Post
            Hi Mal
            Thanks good to be here!
            I have tried roasting a natural Yirga in the past and current have a washed Ethiopian that I picked up (not sure anything about the beans beyond that tbh). I’ve tried a bunch of filter coffees at cafes of course and whatnot, so I was looking to expand into something a little more out there for me to roast at home!
            Defintley appreciated the uniqueness of natural process Yirga
            Try the Nicaraguan Datanli el Diablo Natural process on beanbay it is a total fruit bomb~~~!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman View Post

Try the Nicaraguan Datanli el Diablo Natural process on beanbay it is a total fruit bomb~~~!!!!
              Agree, and it is not a difficult bean to roast either.
              Just need to make sure you dump and cool the batch before 2nd-Crack starts to get the best out of the bean.
              Works great as a Filter coffee, Pour-Over and even French-Press but I think a darker roast (for Espresso) just loses too much of the bean's broad intrinsic flavour profile.

Mind you, some of the other CS Central and South American beans that Andy has listed, are also very, very nice too and well worth considering. Such as the Peru Ceja de Selva or the Costa Rica Miel SHB which are both beauties to try from this general region.

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! I think I have a great starting point to explore a 2-3 different varieties and see what results I get roasting in small batches.
                I generally like to brew black filter - I mainly use my Clever Dripper. So the fruityness of the Nicaraguan appeals a lot. Though I see that it might be a little tricky to get right, but I’m ok with experimenting!

On another note, I got the idea to try some of the decaf wow, as it seems to get get write ups! I might blend it in a half-caff so I can enjoy more cups through the day as well... Not sure if anyone has had any success here?

Comment

Before trying to use the DECAF Wow! to make a new half-caff blend of your own I would strongly suggest you try it as-is. You may suddenly find yourself drinking a lot more coffee.

Java "Mod what?" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

The Huehuetenango was also an easy one to roast and a brilliant coffee to drink... Impossible not to like. Sadly it's sold out

Can we have some more please Andy?

SOON!!

Comment

Working...
                    X