This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Greg,
    Looks like a great service you are offering! Do you have any modified baskets you are prepared to sell outright for a 800ES though?
    Thanks

Comment

Sorry, no.
      Greg

Comment

Greg Wormald. I thank you every morning for my brewed awakenings.

PS: How do i attach a picture.. it says I can't cos im a noob!! :-(

anyway, I received my baskets a couple of days ago. (according to the sweet ol' neighbour lady who collects my post when I'm away.) Played with grind settings and tamp settings and a couple of shots down the sink later, I was pulling good shots. Still have a bit to play around with, but oohhhh even these shots are so good.. Hard job trying not to over caffeinate myself!!

again.. THANK YOU Greg!!

Comment

I have a Breville Cafe Roma (ESP8C I believe). Am I right in thinking that this procedure would improve the coffee it makes... so long as the grind is fine enough?
          With the pressurised baskets I've been able to nearly kill the machine (very very slow in pumping the coffee out... and resulting in a 'burnt' tasting coffee) by grinding too fine and packing too hard. So I'm guessing a move to unpressurised baskets would work.

Comment

Originally posted by starter View Post
            I have a Breville Cafe Roma (ESP8C I believe). Am I right in thinking that this procedure would improve the coffee it makes... so long as the grind is fine enough?
            With the pressurised baskets I've been able to nearly kill the machine (very very slow in pumping the coffee out... and resulting in a 'burnt' tasting coffee) by grinding too fine and packing too hard. So I'm guessing a move to unpressurised baskets would work.
            Yes you are right, single walled (or non-pressurised) baskets will help. But will be more fussy about the grind. What grinder are you using? If it's a Sunbeam em480 (or better), it should be capable of grinding fine enough. If it's a bcg450, you may have more troubles.
            Last edited by David8; 28th August 2012, 02:39 PM. Reason: Typos. Yay!

Comment

Thanks. I'm a true beginner - I have an EMO360... 'conical burr' but I'm sure it doesn't really rate highly as a grinder. The fact that I can pretty much 'clog' the system makes me think it'll do a good enough job with an single walled basket. I'll PM and ask Greg if he's willing to do another.

Comment

Thought I should report back. I took the outer wall off the Breville ESPC8 2 cup filter myself (not half as neat as Greg!). I worked out that the best grind (for me) is with the Sunbeam bcg450 wound to the third notch from finest. Any finer just 'clogs' things in the ESPC8. I also bought a tamper to replace the plastic thing that came with the ESPC8. Oh and I'm using my own roasted blend (close to the KJM blend), roasted on a home-made KKTO-like roaster.

I think the coffee improved, but I was not satisfied. So I bought a second ESP8C for less than $10 of an auction site you'd be familiar with (now I have a couple of extra filters and second filter holder). Then I cut the bottom out of one filter holders (ie now have a naked prota-filter - so I can see what's coming out and when). Put it all together and this morning I had my first 'real coffee' from the ESP8c!!

I now think I can probably change my username from 'starter' to 'started'.

If I can repeat and become consistent with the technique (and also learn to use a single wall single-cup filter?) I'll then try to go back to the un-modified filter holder with my improved 'technique'. Then after that I'll start thinking about some up-grades (better grinder and better machine).

PS When I was brewing I had a few squirts around the edges of the filter (either due to poor tamping, or due to my poor workmanship in removing the outerwall on the filter - there's still a bit of the outer layer covering/partly covering a few holes), but on the whole if formed quite nicely into a single 'pour'/'shot' or whatever the term is.

Comment

Update

Hi All,

Just an update.
                  1--Yes I am still offering this service.
                  2--Due to the large quantity of requests I can no longer pay for the return postage. So please enclose a paid, self-addressed bag in the original parcel.
                  3--I usually do the mods on a weekend (sometimes on a Wednesday too) and they go into the mail at the first opportunity. Note that AusPost runs to its own schedule.
                  4--Some single baskets are **not** able to be modified, so unless you really need a single and are willing to take the chance, it's best to just send the double only. For shorter coffees--make a ristretto!
                  5--The minimum grinder needed to make better coffee is usually considered to be the Sunbeam 0450. If your grinder won't go fine enough then your coffee is likely to get worse!

Send a PM for the mailing address.

Greg

Comment

Greg, your workmanship is top notch. and service is excellent! Thank you.

Learning is underway. I have managed to pull a few beautiful shots since receiving the modified baskets. I'm still dialing it in but the results are fantastic so far.

My only complaint is that I am now responsible for all espresso based coffees in my house as my wife says it's too tricky.

Thanks again!

Comment

Another shoutout! Came home today to find the freshly modified basket waiting in the mailbox. Was possibly a little too excited and had one too many coffees for 6pm on a monday night. Thanks again Greg, workmanship is top notch and the time and effort is truly appreciated!

Comment

Got the baskets today - thanks Greg! What an amazing guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kofe View Post
                          Got the baskets today - thanks Greg! What an amazing guy.
                          I concur!

I would never have believed I could get such a good result from my 'sits-in-the-cupboard-just-in-case' machine, the $57 black Sunbeam I bought some years ago.

Great stuff, Greg!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by joe; 22nd November 2012, 12:40 AM. Reason: Pics added

Comment

Got my de-restricted double basket (EM5600) from Greg today. Thanks mate!
                            Single should be back in a week or two.

Question. Anybody want to clue me up on how fine a grind I should be aiming for from my Rancilio Rocky, also just purchased.

Comment

Hi ghezzi,

there is no hard and fast rule for the grind: different coffees and the age of beans have a bearing on the grind.

The only way you're going to work out the right grind is by trial and error.

Watch how the coffee pours from the machine. If it gushes out, then grind finer; if the machine chokes, coarser.

Comment

Off topic posts have been moved here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post488734

Java "Let's keep it on topic please folks" phile
                                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X