X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• level3ninja
    replied
    Originally posted by Patmac View Post
    Howdy pretty new here. I’ve a sunbeam 7000. Just purchased new. Mind if I ask the best way to start a naked conversion on the portafilla?
    Would it be stainless?
    do I cut the tubes of first then use hole saw
    Any tips most grateful
    cheers Pat��
    Hi Pat,

It will be stainless for sure. The spouts should twist off. I use the remaining hole as a guide with the pilot bit. Because it's stainless you should be using a tungsten carbide tipped holesaw, but if you have time and a holesaw to burn you can use a bimetal one. The most important thing with stainless is to not let it overheat. You can do this by having a container of water that you put the portafilter and holesaw in periodically to cool them down. I would suggest 10s max of drilling and then at least 20s in the water until it's completely cool again. The hole might take you 3hrs to cut. Your brand new holesaw will be half dead after this.

Then you get to the fun bit, opening up the hole. I use a small flapwheel in a drill for that, and I used 5s on, 20-30s cooling in the water. That part took me literally 30hrs. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Patmac
    replied
    Howdy pretty new here. I’ve a sunbeam 7000. Just purchased new. Mind if I ask the best way to start a naked conversion on the portafilla?
    Would it be stainless?
    do I cut the tubes of first then use hole saw
    Any tips most grateful
    cheers Pat��

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
    Is anyone still doing this for a 6910 portafilter? Had one sitting around for ages and have wanted a naked for a long time. Wish i’d seen this post earlier!!
    If it's an older brass one I'll do it, if it's stainless (last 5 or so years?) it's more work than I can undertake for free right now.

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    I like my naked portafilter too. Its not a convert, but came from elektros. Very reasonably priced to suit simonelli, came with a triple basket too, but i havent used that one yet

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Is anyone still doing this for a 6910 portafilter? Had one sitting around for ages and have wanted a naked for a long time. Wish i’d seen this post earlier!!

Leave a comment:

• hallph
    replied
    This guy is a wizard!
    PS. your inbox is full
    Last edited by Javaphile; 22 February 2018, 10:46 PM. Reason: Personal info removed

Leave a comment:

• Charlie4coffee
    replied
    Wow the full illustrated process is amazing! Great skills!

Leave a comment:

• Javaphile
    replied
    Try redoing your attachments as the links are showing as invalid.

Java "Nice jigs" phile

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    science-teacher entrusted me with the disrobement of his portafilter. This time before even laying hands on it as it came straight from the fleabay seller to me.
    I had a brainwave on my way home from work on Thursday when I was thinking about my dilemma of holding the portafilter handle in the vice firm enough to work on it but no so firm to leave marks. Since the handle of the 6910 portafilter unscrews I figured I could create something that would screw into the head of the portafilter and also be easy to grip in the vice. After determining the thread was a standard M10x1.5 I grabbed a couple of M10 bolts and an off-cut of wood and created the two jigs here:

Bloody marvellous I tell you!

Significantly quicker and easier all around.

Full process here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Attached Files
    Last edited by level3ninja; 27 August 2017, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    Hi David, yes I can do yours. I have another one on its way and a bit going on at work at the moment so might not get it back to you straight away. If you don't mind PM me and I'll send you my address, otherwise I can let you know when I'm finished the other one.

Leave a comment:

• DavidJJ
    replied
    How have I missed this? I didn't know it was possible to do that. I honestly am impressed by your manual skills, Level3ninja!!
    Would you be able to do it on my portafilter for the Minore? I am nor near, unfortunately, (Melbourne) but can ship. This particular portafilter is the one with one spout, but I removed it and I am using it without any spouts for the moment, so it would be perfect to convert to bottomless, even because the brass has started to come out a bit from the bottom part.
    Cheers,
    David

Leave a comment:

• trentski
    replied
    Originally posted by artman View Post
    Does anyone use a spouted PF after using a naked? The spouted ones are so messy (assuming your not getting squirters on the naked!).

Cheers
    I exclusively use the naked unless i come across someone that wants a weak coffee, and even then sometimes i just give them half of what i get out of the naked

Leave a comment:

• Chrisj1984
    replied
    I would be super keen to get my bezzera bz99 portafilter done. Anyone have the time?? Pm me with details of how to make it happen please!!
    Cheers chris

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    Cheers zeezaw, glad to do it. Sorry it took me so long, thanks for your patience!
    Here's a couple of pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_171153.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	745600

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_171144.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	745601

Leave a comment:

• zeezaw
    replied
    Got my group handle back from level3ninja earlier this week and he's done a great job. Have had limited time with it so far but it's already led to some improvements.

A big thank you from me to level3ninja for finding the time to do the conversion, go to the post office, etc, when I know he's got better things to do! A real asset to this community if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X