Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoffeeSnobs FairCrack - 9 Eco Pulpers for Kilimanjaro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoffeeSnobs FairCrack - 9 Eco Pulpers for Kilimanjaro.

The original coffee cherry pulpers that FairCrack purchased for the villages on Kilimanjaro have been doing a great job but are requiring more and more maintenance from Bente's farm mechanic to keep them going.

Today we have commissioned a coffee engineer in Kenya to build a total of 9 Eco Pulpers for existing and new villages.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini_Eco_Pulper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	754644

Andrea Lolli from Coffee Agriworks in Nairobi, Kenya will start construction on these this week and when they are ready we will transport them from Kenya to Tanzania (Bente's farm in Moshe) then onto Kilimanjaro.

It will be excellent to have the same pulper in all the villages and easy to carry a range of spares to suit (drum, bearings, belts etc)

As we get more pictures or info I'll post it in this thread.

The FairCrack fund strikes again,
    Well done CoffeeSnobs everywhere!

## UPDATE Nov 2013 ##
    Bente sent this video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0S60FZSEcQ

Bloody brilliant. Cannot believe the astounding results that are coming from the Faircrack initiative. Brilliant.

Comment

WooHoo!!! Yet another wonderful project thanks to all our supportive members!

Java "Thanks for all the work Andy!" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
        WooHoo!!! Yet another wonderful project thanks to all our supportive members!

Java "Thanks for all the work Andy!" phile
        Yes, thanks Andy, Bente (and crew) and "Us" .

It's been a while since we've seen any fruits of the Tanzanian coffee farmers' labours. Was 2012 a not so good year with low yield or was it a very good year and all the product was snaffled by other buyers? Looking forward to the next BeanBay consignment.

Comment

Brilliant stuff Andy.

Relatively small bucks for massive change where it counts most.

Makes me proud to be part of our community.

Chris

Comment

Top stuff, as always Andy...

Terrific mate.

Mal.

Comment

Yeah, it's easy to love what we are all doing with FairCrack and just how big an impact 50c a kilo can have.

Something interesting happened with this one, the Kenyan government foreign exchange contacted me as they needed a copy of my passport to clear the funds. Seems that after a certain dollar amount (this was AU$15,335) they get nervous about money laundering and require internationals to prove who they are.

So... if you start meeting Kenyans called "Andy Freeman" please let know

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                So... if you start meeting Kenyans called "Andy Freeman" please let know

Good one mate. Probably be hard to nail the Aussie accent though, but I'll be sure to steer you to them...

Mal.

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures of the progress so far...

Click image for larger version

Name:	KenyaPulperProgress1.JPG
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	734589 Click image for larger version

Name:	KenyaPulperProgress2.JPG
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	734590

Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                    Here are a couple of pictures of the progress so far...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3798[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3799[/ATTACH]

Looking good!
                    Fantastic!

I'm sure the impact on the village will be great, but I'm delighted to see a bunch of Africans doing some skilled work, I can't think of a better way to take some people out of poverty than to teach them a useful skill.

Comment

I'm not sure we are teaching anyone how to make these and they are well in front of a lot of engineering workshops I've worked with here but I get your point.

Where possible we have sourced product on the ground to get a double impact with the FairCrack money (eg: blankets weaved in the same area that we distribute them to).

Employing a regional engineering workshop to produce the pulpers makes sense, helps more than one economy and the circle of effect on the ground grows larger.

Comment

That's a nice restrained reply to a mind boggling, colonialist post :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathon View Post
                          ...but I'm delighted to see a bunch of Africans doing some skilled work...
                          What the....!!!!???

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                            What the....!!!!???
                            I agree it wasn't a good choice of words when quoted selectively but I think Jonathan explained himself pretty well in the last sentence.

Comment

It's hilarious how people pick up different meanings from written text. I'm a fairly relaxed person so I choose to smile at such responses rather than react in a different way.

Firstly, as I'm originally Irish (as well as now Australian) I can assure you I'm not colonial in any way.

Secondly, I have been to Africa on multiple occasions, including several trips to Kenya, so I have some experience of life on the ground there. I've probably spent 3 months in Africa all up.

Finally, I genuinely think it's fantastic that we've contributed to a small engineering company in Africa, rather than buying goods that were manufactured elsewhere.

The old parable of teaching a man to fish is very important to me. Notwithstanding the undoubted existing skills that the engineering firm would have, I'm sure contracts like this enable them to train up another kid, and I feel great that I've contributed to this, albeit in a very small way.

Comment

Working...
                              X