Grinders Coffee and Qantas Partnership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinders Coffee and Qantas Partnership

Enjoy our new, tastier coffee in the air. From August this year, Qantas is proud to welcome Grinders Coffee in First and Business onboard all flights worldwide. Whether its freshly brewed plunger coffee in Business or a macchiato coffee made from our espresso machine in First, Grinders Coffee is renown for its premium quality and taste.

Grinders Coffee first started in Lygon Street, Carlton, the traditional heart of Melbournes Italian community. Two Italian coffee roasters Giancarlo Giusti and Rino Benassi established Grinders in 1962, and theyve been supplying the Australian market ever since.

Grinders have developed a high quality coffee blend exclusively for Qantas. You can experience this blend yourself the next time you fly First or Business at 30,000 feet above the ground.

Re: Grinders Coffee and Qantas Partnership

Unsurprising. Grinders = Coca Cola Amatil. I think that they have been pushing to expand to SE Asia as well.

Comment

Yepperz- I hear they have had a good sniff around in the hope of another coffee company or two also...

I still wouldnt be spending up big on business class in the hope of a great cup though...Will be interesting to see how the brand and product are interpreted into the mile high club

2mcm

Comment

out of interest, does anyone know what the effects are on an espresso machine in an environment that is pressurised to around 10,000 feet above sea level?

Generally speaking, I know that the boiling point of water drops to about 85C or thereabouts at altitude. Clearly, the airlines have worked it out and Im guessing the machines settings would be tweaked to compensate for the difference in ambient pressure.

Thats just a guess though!

Comment

I recall reading that that aircraft are pressurised to around 5000 feet...:-/ It stops people getting altitude sickness....

I think that they have always had machines for 1st class in their 747s...I recall training a few flight attendants a couple of years ago...I bet that theyre probably using superautos tho....

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1158971335/0#4 date=1159008658
            I recall reading that that aircraft are pressurised to around 5000 feet...:-/ It stops people getting altitude sickness....
            Actually,

It is 10,000 feet..... trying to construct an aircraft that could withstand the enormous differential between 5,000 and 30,000+ feet would require a much heavier and therefore, more expensive proposition to operate. From memory, its 13,000 feet and above where altitude sickness starts to become an issue for some people,

Cheers ;D,
            Mal.

Comment

(temporary thread divergence)

Um, Mal? When tourists come up to +9,500ft here in the Rocky Mountains, you know, to visit their grand kids, or live a little of their idealized fantasy of being big, rough and tumble outdoors types - often enough we end up transporting them back down to Denver with altitude sickness (everything from pulminary edema to sunstroke and beyond). It seems to be the threshold for many folks who come from sea level (or have pre-existing health issues). By the time the rest of them get to the ski areas and start playing tag with 10-12,000ft, well, they make lots of money for those counties agencies!

I volunteer (in a non-medical capacity) with our rural ambulance service - monitor the radios, help clean, cook, and whatever else when it gets busy. Been doing what I can ever since they saved my life from rapid onset RSV + acute asthma (In three hours I went from having flu-like symptoms to being unable to reach the phone, and coughing up little rice-sized pieces of lung) ten years ago. Ive come to understand just how much a good rural ambulance crew can do (its not the load & do fast transport of metro areas - transports up here can run from 1-2 hours one way, depending on how far back we find the patient).

(divergence ends)

Comment

Hi LB,

Yep I think youre on the money there, mainly because of the association of activity in an oxygen depleted atmosphere. In a pressurised aircraft where passengers are expected to remain more or less sedentary while flying, the critical altitude can be increased. Im pretty sure that for aircraft flying at high altitudes, the cabin and cockpit pressures are maintained equivalent to an altitude of between 8,000 and 10,000 feet..... it comes down to a balance of economics against that of human endurance in low oxygen atmospheres I guess. I know when I worked in the highlands of Papua New Guinea, travelling twice daily between 1,500 feet ASL to 9,500 feet ASL (by road), it took me quite a while to become used to that extreme variation before I could work usefully at the higher altitude. Interesting piece of hardware, the human body .

I think with the highlight of Deep Vein Thrombosis problems being encountered on long duration high altitude flights in recent times, aircraft manufacturers are now designing the next generation of passenger aircraft so that they will be able to withstand pressure differentials much greater than current designs by the use of high strength composite materials in critical areas of stress. I think they are going to try pressurisation numbers to maintain the cabin and cockpit at the 5,000 feet ASL mentioned by Chris... much more comfortable and healthy for all concerned. Now, as you say..... back to all things coffee :,

Mal.

Comment

FAA regulations requires a cabin-pressure altitude of not more than 8,000 feet at maximal operating altitude of the aircraft under normal operating conditions.

Java "Google is your friend" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Indeed it is Java ,

Mal.

Comment

Id like to see what sort of machine they use. I bet it wasnt cheap ;D
                      It would have to be designed not only to operate at 8,000ft cabin altitude, but the wiring, structure and electonics would have to be designed to meet aviation standards. In addition the unit would have to be designed so that if the cabin were to depressurise at max flight altitude, it wouldnt fail in such a way that it would create a hazard. The internals would also need to be strong enough to meet in-flight g loads and the the unit would need to be restrained against becoming a flying hazard under crash loads. Not a small amount of work by any means!

Comment

I bet they use a Presso

If not - they should!

Comment

Illy style pods?

Comment

Im thinking itll be more like Baldrick from Blackadder goes forth.

From wikipedia:
                            Blackadder: Now Baldrick, fix me some coffee, and make it taste slightly less like mud this time.
                            Baldrick: Not easy Im afraid, Sir
                            Blackadder: And why is this?
                            Baldrick: cause it is mud. We ran out of coffee 6 months ago
                            Blackadder: Brilliant. So every time Ive drunk your coffee for the past 6 months, I have in fact, been drinking, hot mud.
                            Baldrick: With sugar...
                            Blackadder: ...which makes all the difference
                            Baldrick: Well, it would if we had any sugar, but we ran out Christmas Eve 1915. Since when, Ive been using sugar substitute...
                            Blackadder: ...Which is?
                            Baldrick: Dandruff. But I could add some milk this time, or, Saliva
                            Blackadder: No thank you Baldrick. Call me Mr. Picky, but I think Ill pass.
                            Baldrick: Thats probably because youre mad, sir!
                            Blackadder: Well, White!

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1158971335/0#7 date=1159031404
                              Hi LB,

I think with the highlight of Deep Vein Thrombosis problems being encountered on long duration high altitude flights in recent times, aircraft manufacturers are now designing the next generation of passenger aircraft so that they will be able to withstand pressure differentials much greater than current designs by the use of high strength composite materials in critical areas of stress. I think they are going to try pressurisation numbers to maintain the cabin and cockpit at the 5,000 feet ASL mentioned by Chris... much more comfortable and healthy for all concerned. Now, as you say..... back to all things coffee :,

Mal.
                              The Boeing 787 is this such airliner...its cabin pressure will be 6,000feet... lowest ever for an Airliner.. and humidifiers for more comfortability.

http://www.newairplane.com/

Qantas has ordered 45 of these.. with 65 options... First delieveries going to Jetstar international...

My other interest is Aviation :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X