Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted

;D

Can anyone identify this Coffee Snob who today started work at Epic (Please note the Reg Barber Tampers above his shoulder. . . )

Re: Spotted

Ahhhh.....nope! :-[

Comment

All you Sand Gropers look alike to me.

Comment

Is he a sponsor in his own right???

Comment

To TG - hes NOT a sandgroper. . .

to Grey - Yes, he is!

Comment

Thats nice. Im sure that **** will have heaps of fun ;P

Comment

Am I right to assume he may convince them to change tamper brands one day soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaffee Schnüffler link=1175131499/0#6 date=1175132767
                Am I right to assume he may convince them to change tamper brands one day soon?
                Ah...he is a croweater! The penny drops..

Comment

Cmon, hes just a cashier :P

Dont think theyd let him anywhere near the coffee...Honest.

Maybe theres a lathe in the back room?

Comment

Im not sure Corey lets anyone near the Synessos on their first day at work. . .

I reckon well see him using his own tamper in those baskets at some point though!

Comment

My gosh! .... Hes such a young looking bloke to have garnered such an amazing amount of wisdom and expertise

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1175131499/0#10 date=1175149488
                        My gosh! .... Hes such a young looking bloke to have garnered such an amazing amount of wisdom and expertise

Mal.
                        Glad Im not the only one who assumed people who work with wood and lathes are old men with big, bushy grey beards ;D

Comment

My high school woodwork teacher was an old man with a big bushy beard.

Comment

Hehe, So is my woodwork teacher last year... with a bear belly too.

Comment

Cmon guys, Corey wouldnt let me rock up with my big bushy beard and sea-weathered leathery skin for my first day so I had to clean myself up a bit . Dont get too excited, were just testing the waters at the moment with a bit here and there, but I may stay around if it works out. Gotta say its about 1,000,000% better than the other place I was at a month or so ago which I mentioned on another post. After my first day there I headed straight to Epic and was lamenting with Corey the factors I mentioned there so to be able to work at a place that really cares about what these things is a real privilege. Let me compare the # old (which shall not be named) with the * new:

# No-one adjusted the grinder and nothing was mentioned about this
                              * Grinder regularly adjusted
                              # Dose was followed immediately (i.e. no settling knock or smoothing) with tamp via the grinder-attached undersized convex plastic tamper (a spring loaded version with the portafilter supported by a plate, so not the usual rigid monstrosity but only a minimal improvement). Some pre-brew pucks were obviously lopsided even after the tamp
                              * Dose until baskets overflowing, settling knock, smooth off with the back of a knife, tamp, knock, tamp, polish, tamp, polish, all to pressures which they have to be able to consistently hit when tested with a bathroom scale. Level pucks.
                              # Brewing was via volumetric touch-pad which was rarely interrupted
                              * Manual brew control and careful watching of the shot - none of this set it going and walk away
                              # Despite the above, most streams of espresso from the double portafilter were similar in thickness to each other, but this varied between the thickness of the inner and outer of a ballpoint pen - no hope of any droplets!
                              * Drips and thin streams
                              # Crema was well and truly there but often exhibited a palish colour, probably from channeling due to the uneven particle distribution
                              * Think Ayers Rock!
                              # Milk texturing was done by generating heaps of froth at the start of the process and then plunging the wand into the jug to mix it in. Results were thus not surprisingly copious quantities of moderate sized bubbles, which explains the results I noticed in my previous two lattes
                              * Proper microfoam, every single time, absolutely no exceptions. No dishwasher foam in sight (except out the back!)
                              # Texturing time was based on the sound of the milk rather than time or temperature (not necessarily a problem but Im used to a thermometer, and I found the sound method to be difficult when the noise got up)
                              * Texturing time based on temperature feel, but again Im told this is checked periodically
                              # Fresh milk often added to the remnants left over from the last cup
                              * Every jug emptied and washed prior to being refilled with new cold milk, even if its half full. Feels terrible tipping half a jug of microfoam down the drain but theyre serious about fresh!

And yep I didnt touch the Synessos, but I didnt want to. Watching these guys at work makes me realise how much there is to learn and I wouldnt have wanted to embarrass myself! But the other place was like, yeah off you go.

Thanks Grendel; Ive managed to keep my photo right away from any coffee-related forum or site and now you blow the case right open and spill my secret at the same time! : I resisted the temptation to drool over the pile of familiar looking calico bags out the front.

Expect to see some additions to the stock of tampers soon though!

Comment

Working...
                              X