X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that make you go hhhmmm...

10 years old but hhhhmmmmm.....

Addicted to Java? Dont press it!

Many coffee aficionados eschew the filtered brew, arguing that filters remove some of a bean’s savory flavor. What filtering really does -- besides screening out gritty grounds -- is eliminate coffee’s oils, rich in alcohols known as diterpenes. Two of these alcohols, cafestol and kahweol, can elicit a number of unhealthy changes in the blood of regular coffee drinkers.
    Full article: http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arch/11_30_96/food.htm

Java "Hhhmmmign away" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Re: Things that make you go hhhmmm...

I thought that pouring boiling water into coffee grinds will burn the coffee, and the taste will be awful....

Could it be that they are drinking what is essentially "burnt" coffee?

Comment

A litre of coffee a day? Thats above and beyond the call....

-Robusto

Comment

I agree... "almost a liter of the coffee daily for 24 weeks" is way OTT!!! I dont think any experiment would find that much coffee drank for that period of time is healthy, which ever way you make it.

Comment

how many coffees a day should we all be drinking i have been told by my doctor that for every coffee you have, drink 1 glass of water what do you all think????

cheers poddy66

Comment

Well if you look at caffeine content of drinks. I proper coffee not instant crap is equal to 6 cans of a cola drink. A cola drink contains 36-46 mg. They say the healthy limit for an adult is 400-450mg of caffeine a day. So two cups would put you over the caffeine limit!

so put me in the un-healthy basket...

Comment

Yeh, I guess it all depends on how quick and frequent you drink.
              A normal espresso should have around 200mg of caffeine, so, if you hit yourself 5shots continuously,
              thats about 1g, which will bring you to possible toxicity. 10g caffiene is associated with death.

how many coffees a day should we all be drinking i have been told by my doctor that for every coffee you have, drink 1 glass of water what do you all think????
              Ill say Ill try to stick on that rule, definitely you dont want to buildup the caffeine(purines) in you body!
              Especially men, more chance to develope gout....

Sorry, too much bullshits here....

Comment

Originally posted by NE14COFFEE link=1179401276/0#5 date=1183198623
                I proper coffee not instant crap is equal to 6 cans of a cola drink. A cola drink contains 36-46 mg. They say the healthy limit for an adult is 400-450g of caffeine a day. So two cups would put you over the caffeine limit!
                Geez... is there a caffeine anonymous?

Im over the limit by about 9:00 a.m. And I generally will have quite a few more during the day... probably 3-4 times the limit (on a good day!!!)

Comment

Mate, a shot of espresso only has on average 40mg of caffeine.

Youre talking about drip coffee, which has about 60-180mg.

I had an octo-shot last week, and I didnt die or even feel ill. I had roughly the equivalent of 2 cups of drip coffee, caffeine-wise.

Comment

An octo-shot nunu? No wonder your bunny has a pancake on its head

I agree with the idea of drinking a glass of water after every coffee - only to clear the palate for the next shot!

Seriously though, there is quite a bit of evidence to support the health benefits of drinking coffee - mrnaive...no offense, but I think youre a bit niaive when it comes to those stats re caffiene. After all, when was the last time you heard of someone dying from a coffee od?

Comment

nunu 40mg is the lowest content youd find that would have to be using a very dark roasted (darker roast less caffeine) arabica beans and only be a single shot. On the other hand if you have doubles like me and were using robusta then it would be over the 100mg mark for sure. There is a big range of values in accordance with the beans/roast etc, so i guess everyone is kinda right Im not sure how much is considered an OD but the healthy limit is 400-450mg a day...

Comment

Originally posted by mrnaive link=1179401276/0#6 date=1183200827
                        A normal espresso should have around 200mg of caffeine, so, if you hit yourself 5shots continuously,
                        thats about 1g, which will bring you to possible toxicity. 10g caffiene is associated with death.
                        Mate, I reckon your figures are inaccurate. "200mg of caffeine for a normal espreso"... I seriously doubt that. What is your source for this info?

Comment

Originally posted by NE14COFFEE link=1179401276/0#10 date=1183252660
                          On the other hand if you have doubles like me and were using robusta...
                          Why would you do that...?  :P ;D

Comment

Originally posted by mrnaive link=1179401276/0#6 date=1183200827
                            Do the math. The only possible way you can have 200mg of caffeine in a single shot of espresso is if you are using 100% Robusto beans. And not just any Robusto beans. Youd have to be using the beans with the highest caffeine content known in order to even have a chance of getting that much caffeine into the cup!!

Have a gander here for more info: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1115516893/29#29

Java "Search engines are your friends!" phile

Comment

Originally posted by NE14COFFEE link=1179401276/0#10 date=1183252660
                              Im not sure how much is considered an OD but the healthy limit is 400-450g a day...
                              The LD50 for caffeine is 150-200mg per kilogram of mass for humans. Roughly 10g for the average adult.

Java "Search engines are your friends. Really!" phile

Comment

Working...
                              X