No announcement yet.

Who is keen for a Sydney Coffee Crawl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is keen for a Sydney Coffee Crawl?

This is probably in the wrong section, but it wont let me start a new events topic. So sorry mods.

But just wanted to see who would be interested in a Sydney Cafe Crawl?

I am sure the logistics would be a challenge, trying to work out a day and time that suits everyone but thought I would throw it out there to see who bites. I know a few are keen at least.

So the questions are, what cafes would you like to see included and what day and timeframe would suit you the most?

Brett

Re: Who is keen for a Sydney Coffee Crawl?

Hi Brett, Im keen! A sunday would be best in my case so i can leave the little man at home with hubby. Timeframe isnt so important nor the destinations ill leave that to everyone else.

Comment

I think wed prefer a Sunday too. I havent been to any of the good cafes people rave about in Sydney, so it would all be a good experience...eg. Campos and Mecca. I have been to Tobys Estate and not been disappointed there.

Only prob is that these range from Newtown to Woolloomooloo (do I have too many os in there?).

Would be great if we could plan it so that its logistically do-able. Could even stop in at the Lindt shop for a hot choc.

Comment

I know that Campos is not open on Sundays and I also have my doubts about the Lindt shop (I stand to be corrected on that one though - things may have changed)...

Comment

Would need to be a Sunday for me as well. If so, count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1185719710/0#2 date=1185756748
            I think wed prefer a Sunday too. I havent been to any of the good cafes people rave about in Sydney, so it would all be a good experience...eg. Campos and Mecca. I have been to Tobys Estate and not been disappointed there.

Only prob is that these range from Newtown to Woolloomooloo (do I have too many os in there?).

Would be great if we could plan it so that its logistically do-able. Could even stop in at the Lindt shop for a hot choc.
            Yes, Sunday is a good day but we would miss Single Origin, Artisan Focacceria, Campos & Mecca as they arent open on Sundays. There is also the Tobys Estate head office and roastery on City road in Chippendale which is a much better option than going to the one in Woolloomooloo (its easy to remember Dennis - sheep, toilet, cow, toilet!!).

Personally, Id suggest a start out at Grind in Cronulla, then we could head to the city and do the rest on foot. I am willing to share my car and also free parking spaces at my block of flats in Ultimo - can probably get about 4 other cars in without anyone noticing.

Originally posted by Beanmeister link=1185719710/0#3 date=1185762395
            I know that Campos is not open on Sundays and I also have my doubts about the Lindt shop (I stand to be corrected on that one though - things may have changed)...
            certainly the Martin Place one closes on Sunday but the one in Cockle Bay is open until 9pm most nights I think.

Comment

Sounds good to me Hazchem, will go for a Saturday then.

ps. Lindt are open on Sundays - was there recently.

Comment

Id be interested.
                Having a quick read through 2007 Sydney Coffee Guide a number of the higher rated establishments are not open on Sundays.....
                However from what I have observed with commercial Vs your own brew you could be surprised on the differential in flavour.

There is another possible tack for the suggestion - what about a limited number of interested CSers doing a rotation once a fortnight or month dragging their roasts and blends around at a different members house and getting to chat about something more familiar, getting to try different grinders and machines etc and see what surprises turn up?

Comment

Hi all

I would particularly like a get together. It would be a good opportunity for us to try each other beans as trying to work out whats wrong with ones roasts by describing tastes via a forum is very difficult. We can also improve our espresso skills at each others places.

Mike

Comment

Naked and Speleo - I really think what you are proposing belongs in another thread.

Its not that I dont like your idea, in fact, it could easily happen at the same time as people pick up there beans following beanbay...we could even have brunch together! Hey, wait a sec...that sounds like what happened at our place yesterday. Everyone was invited. Where were you? ;D

I want a coffee crawl!!! ;D ;D

Comment

Sydney coffee crawl sounds like a great idea...BUT I would be rather terrified of the caffeine overload at cafe#3. Could go decaf or spit it out after a taste- I dont think that is in the spirit of things.

THe other way of doing things is meet at a different cafe every Saturday or Sunday. Coluzzi Bar on Victoria St must be good as never a seat inside and people sit on the kerb with their cups. Unlikely good places Ive been to include Berkelows book shop on Oxford St and "the arches???" or no names on Stanley St (the one with the pinball machines). IT would be funny to meet other coffee fanatics

There is also some sort of commercial Sydney coffee tour I saw advertised somewhere.....

Jason

Comment

You could always duck into a pub between cafes to wash out the taste.

--Robusto

Comment

We did the tour a few weeks ago Jason - didnt really get to see too many coffee places as it was combined with chocolates

Comment

So it looks like those interested in a crawl will best be suited to a Saturday in order for the cafes mainly being open on Saturdays. Maybe we should throw some dates around? For me the earliest I could do would be the 11th and as it is still soccer season I could only do a morning and leave the city at 12pm at the latest. 18th and 25th are out for me but come September I am free as soccer will be done for the season. So if others are interested for a Saturday the 11th cafe crawl I would be in. Any others?

We could be the guinea pigs and if it works out than we can spread the word.

Brett

Comment

DAMMIT!!! If it had to be a saturday why the 11th? I have work in the morning (dance teaching), my ballet girls going for exams in the arvo and throwing hubby a surprise 30th in the evening! WHY, WHY, WHY??? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Comment

Working...
                              X