World Barista Competition 2007 - Tokoyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Barista Competition 2007 - Tokoyo

For those of you who arent regular readers of my blog, Id like to post a general notice that video coverage of this years WBC is up on http://www.zacharyzachary.com

Scottie is competing at 9:30am Wednesday.

If anyone watches any of the videos, it might be an idea to post the blend description here.

Im currently watching Carl Saras performance (NZ) and his blend is comprised of Mountain Top Bin 35 and Brazil Daterra (didnt say which one, though). Roasted separately, MT aged to 14 days, Daterra aged to 8 days.

Cheers,

Luca

Re: World Barista Competition 2007 - Tokoyo

That Bin 35 is supposed to be something really special......Good to see Ozzie beans gaining global acceptance....

Comment

I watched NZ champ Carl Sara. His signature drink was really different... "Carl used a tea of cinnamon sticks and cardamom seeds brewed in an intricate aroma chamber and then pumped that aroma into a decanter filled with a mixture of espresso, mashed juniper berries, sugar, lime juice and hot water (among other ingredients) all strained into a soda charger."
      One can only imagine how that would smell (yum) and taste???
      I didnt catch that much about the blend other than it was an espresso blend of two beans one type aged 8 days the other aged 14 days post roast.
      Great to watch these vids Im hanging on Scottys being uploaded!

Comment

I just watched Scotties performance just than. He had an issue with his second grinder that he was running but didnt let that phase him with his easy going attitude. Great effort in his performance though.

Brett

Comment

Its up now... but the Company I work for blocks the video >

Comment

Just watching Scotts performance and comparing it to the Italian guy, the espresso pour from Scott was on the money... the Italian espresso pour was more blonde looking...

Comment

Just watched it too, did he grind all the shots before and left it in the doser or did he grind per shot? I cant tell if hes grinding or not.

Edit- Just looked closer again and he does grind per shot. Wow does that robur grind fast!

Comment

Finally watched Scottys performance. Wow, he looked great and very polished. I am glad his sig drink was simple but different. Makes a change from all the others who are using so many flavours. And they said he was the only one so far to do a double rosetta! Yay Scott!

Comment

hehehee...Roburs are cool...and dosers drop straighter than any other Mazzer Ive used.....the Super Jolly at work drops cleanly...weird.

Shame Scottie didnt make the top 6 baristas (finals)....Heather Perry made it? wow And no Nordic countries in the final...are you serious? What has the World......Barista Championship come to :P

I will no doubt hear many stories of WBC (and other non-related stuff) when the boys return from Tokyo.

Comment

why were you surprised by Heather Perry?

Comment

Scoota, thanks for moving this to the news section. For some bizarre reason, I didnt get a button letting me post in this section.

Dave, remember that all of the nordic guys basically won on their second run through. I think that they must now be out of people on their second try. Watch out for them next year, though ;P

Im rooting for the Hoff and Carl.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1185886353/0#10 date=1185976514
                        Scoota, thanks for moving this to the news section. For some bizarre reason, I didnt get a button letting me post in this section.
                        As stated in the email sent to all members announcing the last BeanBay and duplicated here (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1184600996/0#0):

Last bit of housework in this very long email is the News and Event section at the top of the forum will shortly be changed so that only the site moderators can post a new thread in it (all the CS members can still reply in these threads though). So if you have a news item of an event feel free to let a moderator (or admin) know about it so a new thread can be created.
                        This change has now been implemented, hence why you saw no button for starting a new thread in the Coffee News & Events section.

Java "Reading the future through the past" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

all finished nearly an hour ago. tension is killing me :-? shouldnt be long till we get the results.

Comment

Klaus Thompson announces the winners…

6th place: Brazil Barista Champion Sylvia Magalhaes

5th place: Switzerland Barista Champion Anna Kaeppeli

4th place: Japan Barista Champion Miyuki Miyamae

3rd place: New Zealand Barista Champion Carl Sara

2nd place: United States Barista Champion Heather Perry

2007 WORLD BARISTA CHAMPION IS: United Kingdom Barista Champion James Hoffmann!!!!!

Comment

James used a single origin Kenyan Gethumbwini as his cappuccino "blend." By freak coincidence, we were trying to source the same thing several months ago and ended up with the Gallia, which is the same style of blackcurrant type Kenyan with a prominent acidic finish. By further freak coincidence, we roasted some last week to put in our single origin hopper, so I have been using it to make WBC style cappuccini today. Yum. Like drinking a mix of coffee and ribena, with that distinct cleansing acidic finish.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Working...
                              X