• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Article/study

Compliments of gz20tt.

I found this in my travels on the web.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070821143629.htm
    I thought it might be worth including in the news and events section.
    Mind you - note that Proctor and Gamble contributed funding to the study.

They call this the largest study performed - I wonder if they know about Illys book on the subject.

Java "Posting by request" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Re: Coffee Article/study

They say that darker roasts cause bitterness so that look at ways to process the greens to offset this.  ;D

Just roast lighter dudes!

Duh!!!

Comment

The type of brewing method used can also influence the perception of bitterness. Espresso-type coffee, which is made using high pressure combined with high temperatures, tends to produce the highest levels of bitter compounds. While home-brewed coffee and standard coffee shop brews are relatively similar in their preparation methods, their perceived bitterness can vary considerably depending on the roasting degree of the beans, the amount of coffee used, and the variety of beans used.

Some instant coffees are actually less bitter than regular coffee, Hofmann says. This is because their method of preparation, namely pressure extraction, degrades some of the bitter compounds. In some cases, as much as 30 to 40 percent fewer chlorogenic acid lactones are produced, leading to a reduced perception of bitterness, he says.
      Ummm... to paraphrase the initial statement

The type of brewing... Espresso-type coffee... tends to produce the highest levels of bitter compounds.
      Errr... really? I think the technique of espresso making and the quality/freshness of the contents has the biggest impact on bitterness. I have given non espresso drinkers a double shot with no sugar in the past and the first thing they say is "WOW, its not bitter, I thought all black coffee was bitter".

Which makes me wonder if these guys knew how to make a good coffee to start with.

Comment

Mmmmmm.....

Methinks this is a case of.....

This is the answer...... now what question do we need to ask.....

Could it be just a little biased? (not to mention ill informed).

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1187760817/0#2 date=1187785683
          I think the technique of espresso making and the quality/freshness of the contents has the biggest impact on bitterness.  I have given non espresso drinkers a double shot with no sugar in the past and the first thing they say is "WOW, its not bitter, I thought all black coffee was bitter".

Which makes me wonder if these guys knew how to make a good coffee to start with.
          I agree Andy.
          Everyone Ive made a coffee for at work has forgone their usual sugar without complaint.

Comment

I even drink drip coffee without sugar. You get used to it after a while. Nowhere near crushed aspirin bitter.

Comment

"crushed aspirin bitter"
              ...nice, very nice, I might "borrow that" for future use.

Comment

Have you ever tried bitter melon? Not very pleasant to my taste.

Comment

Working...
                X