X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AASCA - 2008 Qld Barista Championships

Posted up for G.o.D. (Tony)

Coffee News & Events topic....

I thought Qld CSers might be interested to know that AASCA is holding the Qld barista championships this coming Saturday 9th Feb in the Queen St mall - dunno the times though.  No, I wont be competing! :

Tony.

--- edit Andy ---

Saturday 9th Feb
    Queen St Mall
    Brisbane
    11:45 am

Re: AASCA - 2008 Qld Barista Championships

The comp kicks off at 9:30am Saturday in the Queen st mall. I encourage everyone interested to come along and see what they are all about as well as seeing some great barista in action. Tony, you should enter. Too many excuses by potential competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1202107297/0#1 date=1202159046
      Tony, you should enter. Too many excuses by potential competitors.
      Alas Jason, Im yet to concoct a halfway decent signature drink to enter

Maybe next year ...

Comment

Im in training for next year, ill be training (working) on the day actually so I cant even go watch. Might come visit you Jason on the Sunday afternoon for a coffee.

Are you competing? Good luck, youll get good points for knowing your roast.

Comment

I would love to go and watch or volunteer to help out but I have something else on- on that day

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyb link=1202107297/0#3 date=1202289904
            Might come visit you Jason on the Sunday afternoon for a coffee.
            Are you competing? Good luck, youll get good points for knowing your roast.
            Sunday we are open 10-2, hope you can make it up as that is the day Scott will be behind the machine at our place.

No, not competing. I am judging again this year and one of my baristi is entering. Its a last minute decision but good practice regardless of performance on the day - you have to start somewhere.

Comment

The revised starting time is 11:45 am

Comment

A very good days competition and the level of presentation was awesome. Well done to all the first time competitors, but Anne Cooper was triumphant on the day with Alex Forsyth a close runner up and Jesse Hyde taking out third spot.

A big shout out to Steve Novello for his time and energies to making today happen at very short notice.

Well done Anne and we will be seeing you in Melbourne.

Peter Wolff

Comment

Originally posted by first crack link=1202107297/0#7 date=1202542700
                  A very good days competition and the level of presentation was awesome. Well done to all the first time competitors, but Anne Cooper was triumphant on the day with Alex Forsyth a close runner up and Jesse Hyde taking out third spot.

A big shout out to Steve Novello for his time and energies to making today happen  at very short notice.

Well done Anne and we will be seeing you in Melbourne.

Peter Wolff
                  Ill second Peters sentiments - all 7 competitors were professional and quite pedantic in technique (great to see). Some great signature drinks on offer as well - Annes espresso champagne sounded quite intriguing ...

Jason, pity I didnt get a chance to say gday - you were too enmeshed as technical judge.

All in all, a great day seeing some committed baristi showcasing their skills.

Tony

Comment

heard it was good, a friend got a bit on tape so ill check it out tomorrow.

Comment

It was a great (and long) day.
                      As a judge I would like to comment on the following. The quality of barista continues to grow in Qld. The overall standard was very high and the competitors were making it very easy to technical judge as the standard of technique and attention to detail were very high. Would have loved to take my regular seat on the sensory table but had 2 clashes this year with a current and previous employee competing. Hopefully Ill get a sensory seat at Victorian champs now that Im accredited.

As a coach to a first time competitor, I would encourage all barista to get along to some jams and compete next year. My barista, Kate, was full of nerves, self doubt, and general "I dont belong here" thoughts. They all dissapeared as soon as she got behind the machine, and after a long ride home and a few drinks she was left very possitive about both herself as a barista and competing again.

It isnt that scary and is a good chance to push yourself and learn from each other.

Everyone should get involved next year. Between Pioneer and Di Bella there should be some regular barista jams happening before next years comp.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1202107297/0#10 date=1202715578
                        Between Pioneer and Di Bella there should be some regular barista jams happening before next years comp.
                        ... totally agree Jason - but wheres the Di Bella presence on this forum mate? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1202107297/0#11 date=1202730064
                          Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1202107297/0#10 date=1202715578
                          Between Pioneer and Di Bella there should be some regular barista jams happening before next years comp.
                          ... totally agree Jason - but wheres the Di Bella presence on this forum mate? :-?

Sure, but you cannot argue their commitment to specialty coffee.

Comment

Can someone tell us where the top 3 mentioned currently work?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark link=1202107297/0#13 date=1202777830
                              Can someone tell us where the top 3 mentioned currently work?

Anne Cooper - Di Bella (training)
                              Alex Forsyth - Raw (I think)
                              Jesse Hyde - Groove Train

Comment

Working...
                              X