• Show
Clear All

• Palate Training & Sensory Analysis - July 19-20

What: Palate Training & Sensory Analysis of Coffee
    When: July 19th and 20th 2008
    Where: Coffee Academy - Melbourne
    Cost: $550 for CSrs ($600 for others)

Palate Training & Sensory Analysis of Coffee

Two day intensive workshop for coffee professionals, roasters, baristas and serious amateurs who wish to develop their knowledge and skills in coffee analysis using sensory analysis techniques developed for the wine industry.

Designed by Lindsay Corby, full time lecturer in Wine Production Department of Agricultural Science, Latrobe University, Jill Adams Training and Development Manager of the Coffee Academy.

Day one
    The focus is on training your palate to identify different tastes and flavours found in coffee:
    1. Sugars, acids, tannins and bitterness tasted separately then in combination
    2. Un-roasted coffee components
    3. Roasted coffee components
    4. Combinations of 1,2&3
    All compounds will be tasted in water and in coffee.

Day two
    A range of roasted coffees will be tasted to highlight the effects of plant variety, processing
    techniques, region and the roaster on coffee flavour profiles:
    1. Different Arabica plant varieties from the same place
    2. Different processing techniques
    3. Different regions/countries
    4. Same coffee roasted differently.
    5. Growing and processing faults/taints
    6. Robusta / different countries and processing

Coffee Academy
    William Angliss Institute of TAFE
    555 La Trobe Steet,  Melbourne
    Phone: (03) 9606 2111  
    Email: jilla@angliss.vic.edu.au
    http://coffee.angliss.vic.edu.au

Re: Palate Training & Sensory Analysis of Coffee

I attended this course the first time it was run and it’s a real eye-opener, Lindsay’s effort, knowledge and teaching sytle transferred from the wine industry makes this a huge learning experience in a short period of time.

I’ll also be doing a roast profiling and cupping session on the Sunday which was a bit of fun.  Last time the feedback was all positive which either means it was a very polite class or I had at least some good content.

If your coming from interstate and thinking of flying-in early on the Saturday let me know and I’ll see if we can arrange transport from the airport (Avalon or Tullamarine).

Comment

Re: Palate Training & Sensory Analysis of Coffee

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1213684751/0#1 date=1213684778
      I attended this course the first time it was run and it’s a real eye-opener, Lindsay’s effort, knowledge and teaching sytle transferred from the wine industry makes this a huge learning experience in a short period of time.

I’ll also be doing a roast profiling and cupping session on the Sunday which was a bit of fun.  Last time the feedback was all positive which either means it was a very polite class or I had at least some good content.

If your coming from interstate and thinking of flying-in early on the Saturday let me know and I’ll see if we can arrange transport from the airport (Avalon or Tullamarine).
      Im going....Any other CSers?

Comment

Re: Palate Training & Sensory Analysis - July 19-2

I wish!

Comment

yep - paid today :

Comment

Looks like fun. If I could afford it, Id be in like a shot.

Comment

Really really tempted!

Comment

I enquired about the course and would love to go just getting the funds might be hard. But who knows?

Comment

$550?! Yikes!

You could get 1 on 1 training for $50/hour.... and get 10 hours one on one for the same amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Bon link=1213684751/0#8 date=1214560859
                    $550?! Yikes!

You could get 1 on 1 training for $50/hour.... and get 10 hours one on one for the same amount of money.
                    Hi Bon

I dont know what sort of $50 per hour training you may be referring to, but if its something like one single driving lesson that you can get anywhere, anytime, and delivered by just about anyone, then fair enough.

On the other hand, if you are thinking of a two-day, intensive course offered by a reputable organisation and facilitated by someone with Lindsays credentials, then the $550 is a more than fair price.

Comment

Ive had 1 on 1 with an ABC for $50/hour, someone whos actually proven themselves and their palate and one many would consider a leader in the industry.

I have no idea who this Lindsay bloke is and Im not trying to saying that he isnt good or reputable, its just a big unknown to me for that kind of money.

It takes a little more than being a Professor to sell someones credentials to me. I was fortunate enough to sit down with a Uni professor of mine for dinner and have him tell me he didnt believe in investing in the stock market, he thought it was all a load of shit and you may as well go down to the TAB and put your money on lucky #13.

My point Im trying to make is, that I would rather go learn off someone whos widely recognised in the industry for roasting and actually producing it in the cup..

Comment

So I guess thats a "no" from you then, Bon.

Personally, Id be there in a flash if I could manage it.

Comment

Bon, Lindsay is a master of wine and wine appreciation, and the course is palate training and sensory analysis of coffee - palate and sensory analysis for both wine and coffee have many similarities. If you cant see that, then youd be right not to want to be involved.

There are very few people who are as you say, widely recognised and directly involved from crop to cup who are prepared to share their knowledge. But if you do find one, let me know and we might be able to go together and split the cost! ;D

Youre right not to trust in people, simply because they have a title like "Professor". The one you had dinner with is a case in point. The comparison of investing in the stockmarket versus picking a horse on the TAB is totally ludicrous. Volatility in the stockmarket is actually a rarity, and over time, is proven to be one of thebest investments that can be made.

I suspect that even the good professor has superannuation. Guess where his super fund invest his money?

Like Viviane, I too would be at this course in a flash if I could!

Comment

Agree with what Dennis said about credibility.

That stockmarket/TAB comparison shows up a lack of knowledge.

When I used to bet on the horses and studied the form guide thoroughly each week my average was 2 winners out of 3 picks.
                            In 20 years in the stock market I only ever made 1 bad choice and made money on all the rest.

Im with Viv and Den and would love to be able to take up the opportunity to train my palate.
                            At the moment its nothing special.

Comment

Well, how how much it would take for the the likes of Hazel, Scottie, Emily Oak or Dave Makin to run something like this?

Comment

Working...
                              X