Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC - David Makin runner-up 2008

Well done David,
    you had a HUGE on-line cheer squad all night.

2nd is awesome.

Results were:

1. Ireland
    2. Australia
    3. Netherlands
    4. Sweden
    5. Canada
    6. Denmark

---edit---

Hey CSrs,

The Australian Barista champ (and CoffeeSnob site sponsor) David Makin will be competing tonight in the World Barista Championship in Denmark and can be seen live via the magic of the web:

The final:
    SUNDAY 22nd JUNE
    19:15 AEST (18:45 SA/NT, 17:15 WA, 21:15 NZ)

http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com/

The time is a "scheduled time" so it might be worth jumpping on early to check.

Go Dave!

Re: WBC - David Makin - live tonight -Friday 20th

Just had a quick look at whats going on now...
    This guy is in there doing his thing. I noticed one thing - he click click clicks away dosing his pf and had a great mound of coffe grinds in it - then without levelling, he tamps away.
    Now I know this guy knows what hes doing - on account of hes there and Im not. But whats that about? I thought levelling the basket is important.

As for that other stuff hes doing with the glass vestubles and the bunsen burner... I dont think Ive got any great aspirations to learn that stuff.

Go Dave!

Comment

Judges dont smile much, do they?
      You think with all that caffeine theyd be off their tree, but no... Very stern.

Comment

Thanks Andy

I tell you sometimes the web still astounds me!!

Comment

Yeah I was watching it for about 2 hrs last night.... telling people today what I was watching, they just rolled their eyes

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1213926831/0#4 date=1213942540
            Yeah I was watching it for about 2 hrs last night.... telling people today what I was watching, they just rolled their eyes
            ;D

Know the feeling mate ... I excitedly told customers today that they should tune in around 7.30ish to see Dave "Makin the espresso" - just got blinks & blank stares :

"David who", they exclaimed?

"WBC ... isnt that those contrived wrestling matches", another exclaimed :-?

Anyhoo, Ill be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by tasadam link=1213926831/0#1 date=1213929678
              Just had a quick look at whats going on now...
              This guy is in there doing his thing. I noticed one thing - he click click clicks away dosing his pf and had a great mound of coffe grinds in it - then without levelling, he tamps away.
              Now I know this guy knows what hes doing - on account of hes there and Im not. But whats that about? I thought levelling the basket is important.
              Which dude was this? Some Canadian and US guys claim that the anfim grinders dont require distribution, but Id imagine that youd still have to level. From what I can tell, the anfims are just an ordinary irritating stepped grinder with a timer added on, a bit of wire over the exit spout and a doser that sweeps pretty clean. Poor mans BNZ, perhaps. Frankly, I dont really "get" how doing much beyond levelling helps you on any decent grinder.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

It was the Canadian no leveling whatsoever (except his pretamp) thought it was weird at the time. But he seems to think their is no discernible difference (and not tasting the shots) who are we to complain.

Comment

Well, its all about consistency as we know, so maybe this is what hes been doing for ages and if it works for him then, fair enough....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1213926831/0#6 date=1213943261
                    Which dude was this?  Some Canadian and US guys claim that the anfim grinders dont require distribution, but Id imagine that youd still have to level.  From what I can tell, the anfims are just an ordinary irritating stepped grinder with a timer added on, a bit of wire over the exit spout and a doser that sweeps pretty clean.  Poor mans BNZ, perhaps.  Frankly, I dont really "get" how doing much beyond levelling helps you on any decent grinder.
                    hmmm, Im sorry I missed their comments on the Anfim ... Ive been using the Super Lusso for the past several years.

Yes Luca, because the Anfim is stepped it can be irritating - I circumvent this via modifying the dosing & consequent tamp pressure (keeps the barista on his toes )

The timer is a waste of technological application in my opinion, because I (yeah, you guessed it) grind on demand - a timer is futile, as is modifying relative chamber grind amounts.

The doser doesnt actually sweep fairly clean - overly concentrates to the left of the pf & also tends to clump. A light tap, tap on the right spout on the rubber mat alleviates this problem.

Contrary to their comments, grind distribution with the Anfim does need monitoring & levelling to a degree.

Its a decent quality workhorse that has served me well - but next time I would definitely upgrade to a stepless (to micro-manage the grind).

And Luca, as for the Anfim being a poor mans BNZ? Geez, youre such a snob! ;D

Tony

Comment

Go david~~~Go~~~~AUSSIE~~~

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1213926831/0#9 date=1213945240
                        And Luca, as for the Anfim being a poor mans BNZ? Geez, youre such a snob! ;D
                        Tony
                        Im not gonna lie, I was thinking the same thing... but where else can you get away with saying it? ;D

Comment

Nice solid performance by Dave. Cross fingers and hope for the best.

Comment

It was great to see. Well done Dave! I touched my PF at the same time he was touching his, just for luck...

Comment

Thats got to mean something tasadam. Nevertheless great execution and performance by Dave. Best of luck!

Man, lurve that La Marzocco machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X