WBC Altanta 2009 - On the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC Altanta 2009 - On the ground

Javaphile and I will be on the ground at the WBC (World Barista Championships) this week and will report in as we can.

If anyone hears anything interesting feel free to post it in here.

Re: WBC Altanta 2009 - On the ground

Here is a picture of the venue (judge calibration).
    The real comp starts tomorrow!

The other picture is the artwork on the side of the Nuova Simonelli

It looks really cool live, and I was told by NS that there are only 60 in total of the WBC 10th anniverary and they have 10 setup and readyto go here in Atlanta..

Comment

wow! that looks great andy! Lovin the pics!

Comment

Im sooooooooooo jealous

Hope you have a great time

Comment

looks good andy... keep those updates coming.. your are a true champion and great aussie coffee ambassador........ ;D

Comment

You will all be happy to know, Tim did Australia proud.

He put together a great show and the only gotcha was during his sig drink where the glass tipped over but his previous cricket training came to the fore and he managed to save it before it ran out of the glass.

The "Team Australia" cheer squad took up 2 full rows and made way more noise than any other group for the day.

Afterwards, Tim was happy with how it all went and  thought it was a bonus to get his show done so early in the competition.  Now he can get a good nights sleep and should enjoy watching the other competitiors compete tomorrow.

Trying to read judges faces, it looked like he is in with a shot.
            ...although I would love to know the scores!

Comment

Good to know Andy - thanks for the update. Those of us who got up in the wee hours of the morning to watch online were greeted with a grey screen, well, at least those of us on the East Coast seemed to have no luck.

Ah well, will see what the early hours of tomorrow bring

Comment

The feed is just a free service that is more or less fan based as far as I know so if you get anything at all be happy as there is no dedicated infrastructure to provide this, just network access and a tap into the cameras on-site.

Its nearly 2:30am here and we need to up in a 4 hours to get to the venue for a 7:30am start... good night all.
                8-)

Comment

Well weve survived another day at SCAA/WBC but even with copious quantities of world class espresso the energy level now that weve made it back to the hotel is running pretty low (Its after 2am here and were to be back at the event in just over 5 hours!) so tonights update will be relatively short.

Attendance at todays WBC rounds was very light. On the upside The Aussie contingency there to support Tim was the largest of any country that competed today that I saw. Tim put on a very smooth and well integrated performance and it appeared he was on-track for a very good score. Then as he was in the final moments of his signature drink prep disaster appeared to strike. Two of the glasses with the Red Gum honey component of the drinks already in the glasses tipped over! From watching the performance I knew he did not have enough of this base left to refill 2 glasses with and my heart instantly leaped into my throat and my thought was that he had just lost any chance of moving onto the next round as he wouldnt complete his signature drink. From where I was sitting, with-in a few meters of Tim, I did not have a clear view of the glasses. With-out missing a beat Tim quickly set the glasses back upright. It was only then that I could see that due to the thickness of his base most of it had in fact stayed in the glasses and he had enough of the base remaining in his prep pan that he was able to replace what had managed to escape from the glasses. Showing his true championship colors Tim continued on and finished his presentation with time to spare. A great performance with a wonderful recovery from what surely would have cost him any shot at moving on had he not kept his wits about him and quickly reacted! All-in-all a stellar performance! Congrats Tim!

One of the changes at this years event is the addition of a coffee brewing/tasting area with 4 stations. Each station is dedicated to a different type of beverage. Espresso, Cappuccino/Latte, Signature Drinks, and a Uber brewing station. As some of you may recall I was sorely disappointed at the lack of great coffee at last years conference. The addition of this new area makes up for that in spades!

Rotating through the area are former World Champions as well as national and regional champions Demonstrating their skills and coffees. My hat is off to whoever persuaded the powers that be to put this area in. In a few short minutes I had more truly great coffee than I had had during the entire conference last year! For me this is what events like this are all about. World class coffee. This area alone would be worth the price of admission to the entire exposition, and its in an area that is free and open to the public!

I have a lot more to say about this area (and a particularly neat piece of kit in it!) but its now after 3am and just over 4 hours before were due back at the convention center! So Ill close out tonights post with how we finished out our evening. A visit to a local coffee shop and bar where an impromptu Latte Art Smackdown took place. The establishment clearly had not expected the number of people that showed up as they were overwhelmed (the queue for beer was 30 minutes!) and cleaned out of a lot of their stocks. Heres a shot looking over the heads of part of the crowd. The crowd had spilled outside onto the sidewalk and parking lot with more people outside than inside.

Java "And now I really must sleep!" phile

Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback and pix Andy and Java, keep caffeinated and keep the reports and pics coming.................carn Tim!!! ;D

Comment

Good stuff fellas

Chris

Comment

Loving the updates.... better than the live feed I got during the early hours of the morning. Nick Cho was good in trying to rectify things down his end, but I think U-Stream just couldnt handle it. So I missed Tims show... along with a few other CSs, Michelle, Wushoes... Epic got it though, and it was good to get updates from a few Aussies with laptops on their laps in the stands in Atlanta.

Looking forward to watching the vids of Tims performance.

Comment

Just checked out the WBC Blog, theres a bit on Tim....

http://worldbaristachampionship.org/2009/?p=47

Comment

Oh and theres a new U-stream link now:
                            http://www.ustream.tv/channel/2009-world-barista-championship
                            I think they fixed some gliches in the yesterdays feed. Hopefully i"ll actually be able to watch it this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by 322E2E312A4B0 link=1239659469/13#13 date=1239978103
                              Oh and theres a new U-stream link now:
                              http://www.ustream.tv/channel/2009-world-barista-championship
                              I think they fixed some gliches in the yesterdays feed. Hopefully i"ll actually be able to watch it this time around.
                              Thanks for the new link

Looking at it now and its up and running
                              But currently at time of my post its a time countdown with music
                              Better than our 4am experience

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X