National Thailand Barista Championship 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Thailand Barista Championship 2010

This years National Thailand Barista Championship (NTBC) was held from Feb 17th-21st at The Mall, Bankapi (Bangkok). It was also the venue for the "Tea, Coffee Drinks" trade show (Ill make another thread for that).

4 BIG days of outstanding coffee competition from 28 of the best baristas in Thailand. This is the 3rd year of competition and everyone who has seen the previous said that the professional level has doubled every year.

The head judge was Aussie ex-pat Ross Bright who is based in Singapore now. There was a mixture of judges from Thailand and Singapore and most of them will be heading to the Singapore and Malaysia comps over the next few weeks.

The first thing I noticed about coffee in Bangkok is its roasted super dark but that is just the cafe scene here. The specialty coffee movement in Thailand produce a way better coffee and their passion for amazing coffee is no different to specialty coffee people all over the globe.

On short notice (under 2 weeks!) Fiefy entered the competiton and asked if I would roast for her again... "of course" was the answer! Fiefys assult on the championship was also helped with Aussie support from Cafetto and Pullman Tampers which is great to see.

So here I am in a different country, surrounded by a different coffee culture and having am amazing sensory and learning experience as we try and compete with the locals.

The people and the hospitality here have been amazing. From the president of the Thailand Specialty Coffee Association to the companies on the ground that have lent equipment and allowed Fiefy to train on their machines and to the competitiors that welcomed Fiefy and cheered her on during the competition. These are all great people and I can see an amazing coffee culture growing quickly in the region.

I wont post a whole lot of words in this thread as Im sitting in a Bangkok hotel and I still need to pack before flying out tomorrow but here is a pictorial of the comp.

If you have any questions or comments on the pics feel free to post away and Ill reply when I next get net access.

Enjoy!

Re: National Thailand Barista Championship 2010

Above: Preperation pre-comp. Polishing, cutting fruit, polishing, cutting flowers, polishing... you get the idea!

Below: Competing in the heats day 1

Comment

Comp...

Comment

Comp...

Comment

Comp...

Comment

Comp...

Comment

Fiefy made top 6 out of a huge field.

The Finals!!!

8-)

Comment

Then the wait...
                The final 6 lined-up...
                Became the final 3...
                3rd place announced...
                ...then there were 2

Comment

Announcement...

Comment

Fiefy the current South Australian Champion for 2010 and 6th in the 2010 Australian Barista Championships just came 2nd in the 2010 National Thailand Barista Championships.

Im very proud to have such a professional and great barista choose to use CoffeeSnobs coffee. She is also a lovely person outside of competition and has been really easy to work with. The last 6 months of the competition circuit has taught me a lot about people, the competition and what it takes to compete at this level. Its been a great learning journey and I look forward to the journey ahead and what the future will bring.

** CONGRATULATIONS FIEFY **
                    8-)

Comment

Onya FIEFY!!!!!!! Excellent work!!!!! CONGRATS!

Comment

YAY FIEFY!!!

I still think you should have won the Australian Latte Art with your smoking dog - it was brilliant! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Great work and Im sure your support is invaluable, Andy.

Cheers
                        Di

Comment

Awesome stuff Fiefy! Congratulations! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Comment

Well done again Fiefy. clearly a champion barista.

Much kudos to Andy as roaster - was it the Fiefy blend again? (Also as photographer, slipping in another product placement moment)

Comment

Excellent work and commitment from all participants, support staff & sponsors makes such an event a success

Congrats to all

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X