Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Barista Championship 2011 - Colombia

[Press Release]

LONDON (March 1, 2010) – Colombia has been selected to host the 12th annual World Barista Championship, which will be held in combination with the 2011 EXPOESPECIALES conference in Bogota.

Seven countries vied to host the 2011 event. "Choosing a winner from the very competitive site proposals we received was an extremely difficult task for the WBC board," commented WBC Executive Director Cindy Chang.

The World Barista Championship (WBC) event is the annual destination for barista champions hailing from more than 50 countries. In each national competition and dozens of local and regional preliminary events, baristas prepare espressos, cappuccinos and original signature drinks to exacting standards for a panel of international judges.

"We are delighted to host the 2011 Championship," said Luis Muñoz, CEO of the National Federation of Coffee Growers of Colombia (FNC). "It will be an opportunity for baristas and visitors to keep discovering the world of Colombia Coffee, and also to support our domestic coffee consumption program."

"The barista movement is worldwide," said Ric Rhinehart, Executive Director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America, which co-owns the WBC alongside the Speciality Coffee Association of Europe. "We are delighted to see the event take place in a coffee producing country for the first time in its history."

Re: World Barista Championship 2011 - Colombia

Its a pity Australia missed out on our bid for the 2011 comp. Hopes were pretty high that we had a good chance of getting this one.

(...and I know AASCA spent a large wad of time, effort and money trying to get it)

Originally posted by 654A405D240 link=1267398931/0#0 date=1267398931
    "We are delighted to see the event take place in a coffee producing country for the first time in its history."  
    tis weird that it took 12 years for the WBC to go to a place that grows coffee but it should also be a great chance for the worlds baris-stars to get out to coffee origin and see more of the bean to cup process.

Comment

Time for some high altitude training for any Aussies going over :

Slightly seriously water and fluids will behave differently. Boiling point of water at 2600m is around 90 degrees C so no risk of burning beans in a manual brewer

Comment

Originally posted by 08272D30490 link=1267398931/0#0 date=1267398931
        [Press Release]
        Damn! Beat me to it! :P

Java "Missed it by that much!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 12392E39283031343D580 link=1267398931/3#3 date=1267403996
          Damn! Beat me to it!
          ...same source, better timezone
          :P

Actually, the "LONDON (March 1, 2010)" wasnt quite true when I posted it as it was still Feb 28th 23:15 in London.

;D

Comment

via Dave- Matt Perger in on in around 10 min http://www.livestream.com/worldbaristachampionshiplive

Comment

Wow, awesome work Matt!

That was a far tighter presentation than at the Nationals, had plenty of judge interaction and even with extra espresso and capp handles still managed to scrape in on time.

I expect he will get through easily on that performance and if the semis are as good... watch out!

You can see the recording at: http://livestre.am/NYiJ

Comment

Fascinating viewing, Matts story had me almost tasting the brew from here!

Comment

Excellent work Matt and thanks Andy for the video link

Comment

It has been enlightening watching the ever-increasing development of barista skills and innovative presentations during the WBC, the bar has well and truly been raised, cant wait for the finals

Comment

From the Nuova Simonelli Facebook Page - Matt Perger in the Semi-Finals!

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Although we all knew that was a given!   

Comment

Originally posted by 6D4A5C4E56250 link=1267398931/10#10 date=1307145462
                        From the Nuova Simonelli Facebook Page - Matt Perger in the Semi-Finals!

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Although we all knew that was a given!   
                        Had me on the edge of my chair for a while though

Comment

That video really was quite interesting to watch. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Matt has made the final

Comment

Originally posted by 34010C0B3F230F06060505600 link=1267398931/13#13 date=1307229335
                              Matt has made the final
                              lookin good

Comment

Working...
                              X