Coffee In Good Spirits
    World Brewers Cup
    World Cezve-Ibrik Championship

June 22nd - 24th
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    www.worldcoffeeevents.org

8-)

Re: World Coffee Events (WCE) Maastricht 2011

Maybe we will need to start another thread for the Andy Freeman cheer squad. 8-)

Good luck to you Andy in the Cezve-Ibrik section of the comp - WOW...Im sure youll be awesome!

Comment

I am particularly interested in the
      World Cezve-Ibrik Championship

Its the style I grew up with

KK

Comment

Yes, should be interesting.

Not many people know this form of coffee, so it should bring more exposure about Ibriks.

Saw an earlier footage of Andys form on video.
        Will this event be shown on live streaming?
        If it will be on the same stream channel as the WBC, then would be great if we all join in the chat room to do the mexican wave.

All the best in advance Andy.
        Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 637974756771696363100 link=1307383868/3#3 date=1307431623
          Will this event be shown on live streaming?
          Not sure. The gotcha will be that with so many events on at the same time only one is likely to be live (if any).

If I hear about anything Ill post it in this thread.

The schedule is below. Maastricht summertime is GMT+2 so add 8 hours to the times in the schedule for east coast Oz and and 6 hours for WA.

Comment

Hello from hot and sunny Istanbul. Im sitting in my hotel in "old town" Sultanahmet, over looking the Blue Mosque and listening to the call for prayer.

Istanbul is a great city, nice people everywhere and even the annoying scammers in the tourist areas are polite enough to leave you alone when told "Im not interested".

Food here is great, easy to eat too much every day as the food is fresh and yummy. Even street vendor food is save and good.

Weather is hot as you would expect, 30 degrees most days and around 20 overnight, similar to a Melbourne summer. Copped a bit of sunburn walking around yesterday, which is pretty alien after flying out of a wintery Melbourne airport at midnight.

Coffee I hear you ask? Ive been hammering Turkish coffee everywhere, nearly all of it is very average but Ive found a couple of back street gems. The best so far was behind Sultan II tomb and maybe the only non Brazil that Ive tried. Seems the whole coffee trade has become run by 3 pre ground suppliers.

Tea is huge here, 20 to 1 tea drinkers at a guess, and they will drink it all day unlike coffee that is only 1 in the morning and one at night.

So a great place and ill be sad to leave tomorrow. From here I head to Brussels then a couple of trains to Maastricht. Lots more coffee hunting before then though....
            8-)

Comment

Maastricht is cold (15c), wet but very pretty.
              They tell me that April and May were warm but most if June has been like this.
              Im pretty sure Im the only one in town with sunburn.

Looking forward to trying some local coffee today, something better than the nescafe gold in the hotel room. I hear a local roaster has a few cafes here so hope to check those out today or tomorrow.

Comment

So did you pick up anything from Istanbul that will assist you in your comp? A fez, for instance? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 060C190E0E011513600 link=1307383868/7#7 date=1308607311
                  So did you pick up anything from Istanbul that will assist you in your comp? A fez, for instance?  ;D
                  I like the way your mind works Flynn! ;D

Comment

i once had a shishkebeb in Istanbul (about 2001) from a street vendor the night before I got on the plane to Return to OZ.

it just seemed the right thing to do.... IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE.... the plane ride home was a sorry state of affairs... lol i feel sorry for those siting near the toilet door...

funny now i look back on it, an amazing city. Get down into the underground water viaducts if you can, amazing places and nice and cool

edit: i see you have already gone from Turkey...

Comment

I feel sorry Maheel, for the fishes in the ocean that gobbled up your entrails thats expelled through the back of plane. ;D

Dumb question time and i hope its not as dumb as "Whats an Ibrik?, didnt know Apple released a application for the handyman :-?" already asked somewhere, whats a fez Flynn?

Andy should be well and truly getting settled into the event. In the meantime im trying to get a website that streams live of the event. :P

Gary at G

Comment

Google is your friend Gary

ibrik is a copper or brass pot with a handle used to brew coffee in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries.

A fez is a Turkish hat

Sorry, too tired to come up with some smart@ss answers.

Comment

Hm, I remember long ago enjoying turkish coffee with cardamon.

Comment

I nearly bought a fez, but thought it would clash with the Akubra.

I did grab some stunning coffee gear in Istanbul though, you will have to wait till Thursday to see it.

I expect there will be some live footage, not to sure what events are covered. I was at the venue an hour ago and it is still very much under construction. Tomorrow it will look very different. I spoke with one gent who was setting up the projectors for the stage, serious gear and it should come up a treat.

Practice is set for about this time tomorrow and comp for me starts 2pm odd on Thursday (10pm AEST)
                            8-)

Comment

Wow, what a busy day. We had the briefing then spent most of the day doing practice and setting grinders. A great lot of friendly competitors and at least half I know from London last year and Colone the year before. Feels like family.

Ive just got back to the hotel (near 7pm) and the rest of the night will be spent polishing all the gear I used today, ready for a big day tomorrow.

Did anyone find the internet feed?
                              Seems to be plenty of cameras around all the time so it must be getting streamed somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X