State of Origin 2011 - The Ultimate Barista Showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Origin 2011 - The Ultimate Barista Showdown

The Grand Final of the State of Origin Barista Competition is on next Monday.

What: State of Origin Grand Final.
    Where: Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre (Darling Harbour)
    Event: Fine Food Australia 2011 expo.
    When: Monday 5th September
    Time: Heats every half an hour from 10am - 4pm
    Who: QLD v NSW v ACT v VIC v WA
    (every state V every state and the two highest scoring will face-off for the grand final round.)

This is billed as the "The Ultimate Barista Showdown" the format is an exciting, real-world, cafe scenario competition that needs great teamwork and excellent fast delivered coffee to win.

Some of the best baristas in Australia will slug it out in 10 rounds in this all day event.

Each team of 4 need to make 30 cups in 20 minutes and deliver it to the judges table. 

The 30 drinks are secret until the teams start their time and get given the "list of orders".  It will include a mixture of cafe style orders... latte, espresso, mach, takeaway caramel latte and the like.  All espresso shots need to fall within a +/- time, 3 random drinks will be tested for temperature and some for taste, most for visual but the teams wont know which drink is being judged on what criteria so ALL of them need to be temperature, taste and visually stunning.

Judging is live, progressive and as simple as 3 judges putting a poker chip each against the best of the 30 cups from each team as they hit the table.

The audience can see the score progress as the teams go under the pump to get 30 quality drinks served in just 20 minutes.

FREE registration to enter Fine Foods if done online before this Friday else $30 at the door.
    http://register.finefoodaustralia.com.au
    (priority code: EDM13)

Fine Foods say: "Entry is restricted to members of the retail, foodservice and hospitality industry"... so as a CoffeeSnob member thats you because you do in-field product testing for CS!

This is a really exciting competition and relevant to what staff need to do in a busy cafe setting.  10 x 20 minute rounds then the final.  Should be a great day out.

See you there if you can get to Sydney town and can get away from work for the day.
    8-)

Re: State of Origin 2011 - The Ultimate Barista Showdown

Go "The Mighty Pucks" from West Oz!!!!!

Comment

Hoorah for work-free Mondays! Nom nom nom
      Anyone heading up that way?

Comment

Originally posted by 2529352B2F25202A332020460 link=1314802647/2#2 date=1314853888
        Anyone heading up that way?
        me

Comment

Woohoo!

Comment

i would love to see this!  the one monday im not around in Sydney    (Go QLD!)

Comment

It really is a great format competition, anyone that gets there will love the frantic pace and instant scoring.

The Fine Food show sounds pretty big too, I think I read 1000 stands

Comment

Go ACT

Comment

They are all great teams, some super talent on each and the winning team will be the 4 that work as a TEAM... no single "hero" or "barist-star" can carry the comp.

Ill see some of you there in 11 hours odd.
                  8-)

Comment

Heading in as we speak. May the best team shine through!

Comment

I just got out of the airport, now for the slow crawl. Gotta love the "big smoke".
                      ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 0C2329344D0 link=1314802647/10#10 date=1315175950
                        I just got out of the airport, now for the slow crawl. Gotta love the "big smoke".
                        ;D
                        Thats because our airport is actually in the same city. ;D

I wont be able to make it today Maybe a bit later in the week :-/

Comment

Shucks :/ Ill have to try and stalk Andy instead

Comment

Originally posted by 4E425E40444E4B41584B4B2D0 link=1314802647/12#12 date=1315177705
                            Shucks :/ Ill have to try and stalk Andy instead
                            Nice to see I was indispensible for a total of 3 minutes. :P ;D

Comment

Go Andy!

Comment

Working...
                              X