Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vanuatu Tanna Island - Disaster Fundraiser.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vanuatu Tanna Island - Disaster Fundraiser.

    For those who are not aware: Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine – Cyclone Pam’s Horrible Destruction of Lives and Coffee On Tanna Island, Vanuatu

    I thought it made sense to buy some of this great coffee from Andy and donate the proceeds to one of the fundraisers. A token contribution, but it's something...
    Last edited by TC; 18 March 2015, 09:03 PM.

  • #2
    Yeah, the poor buggers...

    The place looks absolutely decimated.

    Mal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      For those who are not aware: Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine – Cyclone Pam’s Horrible Destruction of Lives and Coffee On Tanna Island, Vanuatu

      I thought it made sense to buy some of this great coffee from Andy and donate the proceeds to one of the fundraisers. A token contribution, but it's something...
      That's a very generous offer Chris and an excellent idea.

      CoffeeSnobs will happily shout 20kg of Vanuatu Tanna Island greens and Talk Coffee can roast 'em up, bag them and get them out to those that want to support this great initiative.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Andy View Post
        That's a very generous offer Chris and an excellent idea.

        CoffeeSnobs will happily shout 20kg of Vanuatu Tanna Island greens and Talk Coffee can roast 'em up, bag them and get them out to those that want to support this great initiative.

        That's awesome Andy. Thanks!

        For CS'ers only, if you buy 2 bags, freight will be on the house. Just use cycpam as your discount code at checkout and I'll do the rest.

        Cheers

        Chris
        Last edited by TC; 19 March 2015, 02:26 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm really not a fan of Facebook but many people on the internet use nothing else.

          Mike Pole (in NZ) is doing a great job of keeping people updated via the Tanna Island Coffee Project Facebook page:
          https://www.facebook.com/tannaislandcoffee
          I see on the page that Mike hasn't had contact with Rex (our guy on the ground for the FairCrack project) yet but am hopeful he is healthy and is just digging-in to help others.

          I also heard today that some of the black plastic rolls that FairCrack provided to Tanna have just been redeployed to the locals as supplies of everything are very limited on the ground.

          The place is a real mess and recovery will take a long time, please do what you can to help out as typically our local media forgets about this stuff a couple of days after the event but the impact on the locals will be years. Buy some of Talk Coffee's roasted beans, donate direct to one of the charities on the ground or just promote the cause to your group of friends, family and workmates.
          Every little bit helps.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Andy View Post
            I'm really not a fan of Facebook but many people on the internet use nothing else.

            Mike Pole (in NZ) is doing a great job of keeping people updated via the Tanna Island Coffee Project Facebook page:
            https://www.facebook.com/tannaislandcoffee
            I see on the page that Mike hasn't had contact with Rex (our guy on the ground for the FairCrack project) yet but am hopeful he is healthy and is just digging-in to help others.

            I also heard today that some of the black plastic rolls that FairCrack provided to Tanna have just been redeployed to the locals as supplies of everything are very limited on the ground.

            The place is a real mess and recovery will take a long time, please do what you can to help out as typically our local media forgets about this stuff a couple of days after the event but the impact on the locals will be years. Buy some of Talk Coffee's roasted beans, donate direct to one of the charities on the ground or just promote the cause to your group of friends, family and workmates.
            Every little bit helps.
            It's good to see that aid is starting arrive for those who need it. I mirror Andy's suggestions. Whatever we can all do to help will make a difference.

            We roasted all of the greens today and have already shipped over half of it. CS'ers who placed orders will have shipping confirmation and tracking.

            If anyone would like to grab some, it's on sale here. Buy 2 packs- one for a friend- and use cycpam as your discount code at checkout for postage on me.

            Chris

            Comment


            • #7
              I would also buy some green beans, but I think its no free postage to sweden. anyway the idea behind is very good.

              Comment


              • #8
                I love your idea so much Chris I just copied it and have put a fundraiser in BeanBay (green and brown)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  I love your idea so much Chris I just copied it and have put a fundraiser in BeanBay (green and brown)
                  How good is that!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    It's good to see that aid is starting arrive for those who need it. I mirror Andy's suggestions. Whatever we can all do to help will make a difference.

                    We roasted all of the greens today and have already shipped over half of it. CS'ers who placed orders will have shipping confirmation and tracking.

                    If anyone would like to grab some, it's on sale here. Buy 2 packs- one for a friend- and use cycpam as your discount code at checkout for postage on me.

                    Chris
                    Hey Chris,

                    Thanks very much! I just received my two bags of Tanna Island coffee today - one for work and one for home. Great initiative from both you and Andy - it makes it really easy to help out!

                    Cheers, Dave

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well done guys. Andy's mail arrived this morning, and I thought, "what a good idea!", and immediately bought some beans.

                      Good thinking.

                      Gonzo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Good on ya Gonzo.
                        ...they are already on their way to you too.

                        Lots of CS'rs have grabbed some green or roasted Vanuatu and I'm sure our weekly total will be healthy and importantly very helpful on the ground.

                        I'm always amazed how a small group of us in a corner of the Internet can do such great things as a community.
                        Well done everyone!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I ordered some of the Tanna greenies from Andy yesterday and they arrived at my door at midday. Buy them up folks, it’s in a good cause.

                          Earlier in the week I made a donation to the Red Cross Vanuatu Cyclone Appeal, hoping that some of it will help our friends on Tanna Island.

                          I read the website of the Jump Start Foundation based in Sydney.

                          I read about them in a post by Chris.

                          The school library they helped to build over the last few years on Tanna Island lost its roof during the cyclone, while some classrooms were flattened. They are raising funds to continue their work there.

                          Barry

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks to you fellas and a pile of other generous CS'rs who have also gotten into the spirit of paying a higher than normal price for a great cause... the grand total in the donation pot as of now is $2800

                            You lot are going to send me broke

                            We roasted and shipped a heap today and it should start arriving around the country tomorrow morning. The next and last roast day for the Tanna fundraiser is next Monday which should leave enough shipping days for it arrive before Easter.

                            Enjoy!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Andy,

                              Roasting the Tanna greens... I used my normal profile (which works for the CVGS and EGS), and it seemed to take ages for the colour to change. It was only just brown at first crack at 198C. Am I doing something wrong? Also there are no "tasting" notes on Beanbay to guide me.


                              Gonzo
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X