This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal - weird messages 16th July 2016

Starting this morning PayPal is coming-up with some weird messages when CS'rs pay for their BeanBay orders:

CS'rs are seeing:

Your payment is pending while we review it.
    Regulations require us to take a closer look at some transactions.
    We'll contact you about this again in 24-72 hours.

At our end we are seeing:

We've put this payment on hold while we ensure it is not in breach of our policies. We'll contact you about this in 24-72 hours.
    To learn more, see PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy.

I think something must have triggered "this looks suss" at PayPal even after 11 years and millions in transactions and they will probably fix it when a live human looks at it. I tried to trigger a human by calling the "Business Support Line" and they only work Monday-Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm

Nice one PayPal, break something Saturday morning and then hide from the phone till Monday, (which is pretty slack for a multi billion dollar company with a world-wide footprint).

Ahhh... PayPal. Awesome when it works, a headache and a big black hole when it doesn't.

I'll post in here when it's fixed. Till then feel free to use BeanBay and PayPal as you would normally, I'm sure it will be sorted out on Monday.

They're inventing new ways to charge the end user more over the weekend.

Comment

I was thinking more like someone said in a comment field

"Hey dude, that Colombian was mind blowingly good"

...and it triggered the "suss transaction" shutdown.

Comment

PayPal - weird messages 16th July 2016

Ha! I didn't think of that. Now I'm wondering what the neighbourhood thinks when these odd people turn up at my front door and we shake hands and I give them a Ziplock baggie... ("O-ho! Beans, was it, Mr. Sprezzatura?").

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          I was thinking more like someone said in a comment field

"Hey dude, that Colombian was mind blowingly good"

...and it triggered the "suss transaction" shutdown.
          Ha, Pablo would have loved it.

Comment

Well... this morning it was sorta fixed.
            Most of the previous days payments cleared but new ones placed today are showing as on hold again.

Hopefully I can talk to a human tomorrow and get it fixed.

Comment

Update...
              Most of the original payments have "cleared" but new ones are still "going on hold".

I called PayPal business support this morning and spoke with a human, Amber, who was polite, interested and helpful but didn't actually fix anything. She put me on hold (with the WORST ding-dong hold music that I can still hear in my head) while she spoke with the "review team" who have flagged it to try and find the root of the issue.

Apparently the trigger really is something like my above example that sets-off alarms, her example was the word "Cuba" which PayPal won't transfer to (because PayPal is a USA company even though AU has no embargo with Cuba). Ahhh the complications of the global economy can cause grief even in our little corner of the Internet.

Amber couldn't see anything on our account that would have triggered it though so the problem has been escalated and will be looked at sometime, don't know when and they might contact me, or might email me, or maybe they won't.

Sigh. I'm optimistic that it will be sorted but really can't say when.
              We will continue to ship orders even though we don't have the payment and will follow-up with you if for some reason we don't get paid.

Comment

Morning Andy,

Surely in this day and age a bank transfer is the way to go?

It's the method of payment I use when buying from you, fast, simple and never a problem.

Comment

Cuba could do it....

PayPal closed our account on that and sat on a substantial sum of cash for quite some time. They would not negotiate until we signed a restrictive legal document agreeing never to sell Cuban product whilst the US trade embargo was in place.

The irony of all of that is that at the exact same time, I could purchase Cuban cigars on eBay US and pay via PayPal...

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                    Morning Andy,

Surely in this day and age a bank transfer is the way to go?

It's the method of payment I use when buying from you, fast, simple and never a problem.
                    I agree but people like to use PayPal for whatever reason, maybe they do so to get reward points on their credit card? (which would be negated by the actual PayPal fees we add at the checkout)

PayPal is convenient and fastest, banks are slow but cheap and we have no interest in trying to hold people's credit card information secure here (fraught with danger in the age of hackers) so it has to be one evil or the other.

I did a quick calculation and PayPal made over $10k in fees from CS transactions the last financial year! Their turnover must be insane.

Cuba could do it.
                    PayPal closed our account...
                    OUCH. It wasn't "Cuba" but something like it although I looked through the last few weeks of comment fields and there was nothing suss.

Yeah, it is silly when you can buy Cuban products stateside, and worse when we don't have an embargo with Cuba.

**shrug**
                    'tis what it is though.

Comment

I nearly had my PayPal closed for buying a kg of Cuban coffee once.

I had to ring PayPal and make all sorts of promises that I wouldn't do it again and was told that my account would be monitored.

The thing was that the coffee was purchased totally from within Australia, but that didn't matter to them.

If I ever want Cuban coffee it would have to be done with a credit card.

Ha, politics!

Comment

Ahhh... I didn't think of that.
                        PayPal balance could be viewed as a transaction from the USA but credit card through PayPal would be just an Australian bank transfer via a third party.

My head hurts!

Comment

If payment is made via PayPal I'm not convinced that the source of the funds matter. When you do a PayPal transaction PayPal charges your funds source (Your bank account, credit card, or PayPal balance.) with that money going into a corporate PayPal account. PayPal then deducts their charges from that total and passes on the remainder to the payee. When you pay for something via PayPal using your credit card the charge on your credit card is not from the company you're paying, it is a charge from PayPal. Likewise when the company you're paying receives their payment it is not a payment from your credit card company, it is a payment from PayPal. No matter if the funds come from your credit card, your bank account, or your PayPal balance your payment is still a transaction via PayPal.

If you wish to avoid the PayPal transaction issue your payment must be done directly between you and the company you're buying from with PayPal not being involved at all.

Java "More head spin!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Yep Java, that is what I meant actually, but it didn't seem to come across.

The thing was to avoid PayPal totally and just use the credit card for payment directly to the company.

Sorry about my lack of clarity and causing confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenscroft View Post
                              Yep Java, that is what I meant actually, but it didn't seem to come across.

The thing was to avoid PayPal totally and just use the credit card for payment directly to the company.

Sorry about my lack of clarity and causing confusion.
                              Yeah I figured that's what you meant. I just gave the cross_all_the_t's_and_dot_all_the_i's_explanation.

Java "Dot what?" phile
                              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X