X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Coffee Roaster Competition 2016

Home Coffee Roaster Competition 2016

Available now in BeanBay: CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Green Coffee - Home Coffee Roaster Competition 2016

Entry into the 2016 Home Roaster Competition.

For the very first time the Home Roaster category will use a "control bean". All entries will receive the same green bean, coffee bags and all postage paid for entry into 3 categories (Espresso, Latte, Filter).

you will receive:

1: 2.5kg of green beans
    2: 3 x entry bags with code numbers (these must be used)
    3: Freight to you.
    4: Express Post satchel to return your entries on the 9th Nov
    5: Freight to the Port Mac. competition.

you will roast and return:
    300g - Espresso
    300g - Cafe Latte
    300g - Filter

The beans will be judged anonymously by coffee industry professionals at the Golden Bean Roasting competition in Port Macquarie on the 16th, 17th and 18th of November 2016 and the winners of each category will be announced on the night of the 19th.

Entries need to be posted back on the 9th of November so they arrive here on the 10th and 11th to ensure they make it into the judging. You can enter more than once. Any substitution beans will void all your entries. Late returns will not be judged. Zipper bags should be taped at the top if you can't heat seal them.

Have fun and good luck!

Can we nominate the control bean?
    My vote is the PNG wilds that you had a couple of years ago, was like a single bean blend.

Comment

That was a good one, bit tricky to handle though.
      The control bean will be secret till after the entries are in.

It will be something good that works through a range of roast depths so each person can submit their take on it.

2.5kg is enough to do some small sample roasts and even a mistake before roasting the 900g beans for the entry.

Comment

Hey Andy, thanks for reviving the comp!!!

Will all entries receive feedback as they have in the past?

Do you have to send in all three bags to be judged? or can you submit just the espresso and latte entry?

Comment

All righty then!

I think I'll give it a go for the first time since 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukemc View Post
            Hey Andy, thanks for reviving the comp!!!
            Will all entries receive feedback as they have in the past?
            Do you have to send in all three bags to be judged? or can you submit just the espresso and latte entry?
            Feedback?
            I expect so. I'll try and encourage the judges to use the same forms and format as the commercial entries. I'll then collect the forms in PortMac and will probably scan or type the feedback in the week I return (after I get over the roaster back order catch-up!).

Enter all 3?
            No need to enter all but you would be silly not to enter 3. What you thought was a great espresso the judges might like as a filter better. You don't have to own a Brazen or other filter machine to enter it, you can try your roast in a plunger to get a fair idea of how a filter will come out.

Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
            All righty then!
            I think I'll give it a go for the first time since 2013.
            As you should Brett! It's always fun and I'm excited to see how this new comp format goes. Having a control bean means you don't have to compete against million dollar bean budgets, or enter a complex blend all you have to do is great job with what you are given.

Comment

Awesome thanks Andy. Will definitely enter for the first time. Cheers.

Comment

Well, the control bean certainly smells - thought I'd been delivered a bag of freshly mown grass cuttings when I got home yesterday. Must be very fresh into the warehouse, I reckon.
                Many more people entered yet ?

Comment

Practice number one!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	742672

Gee it's hard to take a good photo of beans, isn't it?

There's some tiny beans and some real peanuts in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by nickR View Post
                    Gee it's hard to take a good photo of beans, isn't it?
                    For sure. Beans do a great job of absorbing light and cameras can only see reflected light... Even with great digital technology it's tricky to get a picture of what you see with your high resolution and auto-aperture eyes!

Your roast looks great though and yeah these are straight off the boat.

Comment

Well, I'm miffed. I could have sworn it was a central american bean by looks, but the 'yirg nose' (my wife) says it smells like an ethiopian coffee. She finds some sort of horrible smell from a lot of the Ethiopian beans which I never get at all (apparently thankfully).

It is nice and smooth so far (after just 2 days).

It is also quite uneven in size (like a Sidamo or similar) so might hand sort the peanuts from the pebbles for the next batch.

My wife thinks I should keep them all rather then enter the comp though (apart from the smell that is). Drinking well as a latte so far.

Comment

Hi Andy,

I logged on to ask about competitions, (I think I am Ready!). Turns out no need to ask.
                        Buying now, I have been experimenting with blends for about a year and testing them on fellow workmates.

Would like feedback in the way of "placed 30 out of 100". or what improvements can be done for next year, if possible.

Cheers Glen

Comment

Feedback with comps has always been a little "hit 'n miss" but every year it improves and I can't see why this year would be any different.
                          Using a control bean should help take some of the human error out of it as the judges only need to determine how good the take on this bean was.

My wife thinks I should keep them all rather then enter the comp though (apart from the smell that is). Drinking well as a latte so far.
                          That's a good sign!

The good news for her is that when we announce what the control bean was (on competition close) it will be available in BeanBay for anyone who wants to retry it.

Comment

Hi Andy, regarding your reply about entering all 3 bags to be judged, does that mean that each bag (i.e.Espresso, Cafe Latte & Filter) will be split into three and judged in each category, eg, what you enter as an expresso bean will also be judged in the filter and cafe latte sections too? Did I understand that correctly?

Comment

I believe it is 3 bags total, each bag needs 300g of roasted beans. Each bag is for a different category.

Comment

Working...
                              X