No announcement yet.

Home Coffee Roaster Competition - 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say, it's very reassuring when one of the two people who roast espresso for me (Andy being the other) comes top of the espresso category. Big congratulations to Steve82!!! I know how much care and effort he puts into roasting, and his win in that category is well deserved IMHO. Congrats to all the others as well.

Hey Steve, can I get some of that roast in my next order?

P.s. Hats off to Andy and the team for organising and holding this event. Must be a great learning opportunity.
    Last edited by gunda; 26th November 2019, 01:39 PM. Reason: p.s.

Comment

Congrats to all the medal winners and everyone that entered. Thanks to Andy for organising the home roaster competition again , looking forward to getting the scoring sheet back, and will be ordering some roasted and green beans to try again.
      Last edited by justacuppa; 26th November 2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

All the score sheets were collated and posted off from here yesterday.

Aussie Post will get them in your letterboxes soon!

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
          Congrats everyone, looks like a lot of fun. Should get my %^$# together and do it next year.

Cheers
          Me too!!!!

Comment

Hmmm...

Might have to scout around for a smaller BM so that I can have a go too.
            The Breville Big Loaf we have is great for roasting bigger batches but anything under 500-600g is a waste of time unfortunately.

The search begins,
            Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal, from the 2.5kg mystery bag, I tested 2 batches of 350g each in the BM, leaving me with 3 x 600g (actually quite a bit more - thanks Andy) batches for final roast, one for each class (tight azz - no room for error). I had guessed that the beans were Ethiopian or similar, from the greens, so sort of already had a profile in mind - got lucky with that I spose. From the results of the more developed sample to the lesser, decided on a profile (from my previously saved prifiles) for each entry type and went for it, roasting 600g at a time as per class. The 350g roasts were only used to guide me, so I could not use the end profiles I got from those, as it was all by senses, I let the bean speak, my first 12 months roasting was with a colander and wooden spoon - sans temperature readings. It seems to have worked. When I soon boot the roasting PC up I'll post the csv and jpeg. My filter profile obviously could do with a tweak. I did no pre-roast bean prep, post roast was about 5 interloping looking types per batch that got ousted. Definatetly will be doing it again and will use the same or very similar method.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Hmmm...

Might have to scout around for a smaller BM so that I can have a go too.
                The Breville Big Loaf we have is great for roasting bigger batches but anything under 500-600g is a waste of time unfortunately.

The search begins,
                Mal.
                I also have the "big loaf" and have been considering whether it would be possible to fabricate a divider between the stirrers for smaller batches. I've been using a behmor, which is wonderful but do miss the flexibility of the corretto.

Comment

Yeah...

500-600g batch sizes are really borderline to be honest and I wouldn't want to risk losing a batch.
                  Something that can do a good job with ~400g batches would be the sweet spot I reckon.

Mal.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Behmor though...

I used to run 350g batches of each bean and then post blend. Worked out well for me then but using the Behmor just became too difficult for me to manage. With my useless hands, poor coordination and lack of strength, I nearly dropped the Behmor a couple of times on to a concrete floor. Decided it just wasn't safe around me any more, so headed back to the Corretto. Which if I drop something, won't matter so much...

Another CSer bought the Behmor so it is still in the community...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by trickydicky2 View Post
                      Flippin'heck!
                      Overall
                      1st - Richard - "trickydicky2"

2nd - David - "Noonar"
                      3rd - Stephen - "Steve82"

Congratulations Richard, David and Stephen! Particularly the 70 point latte Richard!

As always great competition! Great opportunity to get feed back, and learn more and keep improving.

Thanks heaps once again to Andy for making it happen and for providing the delicious bean! Well done with your medals.

Comment

Got my score sheets back already!
                        Some useful comments thanks again to all involved and Andy for posting them out so quick.
                        Cheers

Comment

I had 2 judges note try roasting with a lower ROR, never had anything quite that specific before.
                          After trying all sorts of different things like much hotter charging temps with no improvement I took a look at my roasting setup. According to my research the flame was probably a bit far away from the drum at 3.5 inches and technically outside the roaster which is a common theme with these small drum roasters from asian countries that are DIY / provide you own burner.
                          After some minor metal work and a new bracket for the roaster to sit on the flame is now the appropriate distance from the drum and fully enclosed in the roaster housing like that of a larger commercial drum roaster, all incoming air must flow past the burner. Some of the downsides of going it alone and constructing something ad hoc with no approved things (the burner is actually of the shelf Aus spec)...Andy has said similar things 100 times in the past...and I would say after several 1000s roasts that none of the external burner type small drums are ever going to fully develop a coffee to its potential

Now I am using about 2/3 of the gas needed beforehand and have a much more responsive roaster and only need 2 or 3 gas adjustments for the entire roast. The background on the Artisan profile is from the Competition roast in this post https://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-n...tml#post664762 todays effort is for filter only, espresso could probably use another 20 seconds, but the smell after roasting is pure fruity goodness...its so well developed but still light and can be pulled as espresso no problems if one was so inclined.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shakisso.png
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	751370

Comment

Working...
                          X