Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoffeeSnobs - Server chaos weekend (Happy Easter 2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoffeeSnobs - Server chaos weekend (Happy Easter 2020)

Hi All,
    we had some software to install and 1:30am Easter Friday seemed like a GOOD time to do it (yes I know, my puns/jokes are getting worse).

Server was up and down all night with lots of backups and data movement, I watched the sun rise and now it's heading towards lunchtime.
    We'll have lots of teething problems to sort over the weekend but don't stress, we'll chip through them one by one (although a lack of sleep means I'll have to disappear for a bit).

Andy.

Okay, so it took 13 hours to get it to this point, and it seems to be working well on the new server hardware and software.
    A few little fires that I'm dealing with and some odd colours but for the most part I'm happy so far.

Site sponsor banners and the quote form will get sorted over the weekend as will lots of small things.
    Last edited by tester1; 10 April 2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Looks like a great upgrade Andy, responsive AND accessible!

Comment

• Andy
        Andy commented
        Editing a comment
        Both slick and snappy. I think it's going to be a good upgrade.

Thanks for all your hard work Andy, sounds like a very, very long night

Comment

• Andy
        Andy commented
        Editing a comment
        ​...it's just like it's Thursday but a 35 hour one and counting
        (I'm getting way too old for "days off" like this)

From Scott via email:

1. Search doesn't return any results for me
      2. Existing results via Google search result in "Invalid Page URL"
      3. Something odd with character encoding (see here, displays as xx“ but should be an en dash: https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/mar...93-5kg-roaster)
      4. (subjective) Post listing seems far too sparse now with only 10 posts per page.
      5. Copyright footer has so bottom space.
      6. (on mobile with Chrome for Android) Redirect posts don't have the same bottom padding as regular posts
      7. On the "Server chaos weekend (Happy Easter 2020)" page at the bottom I see the text "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page"
      1: I know about that one, needs reindexing but I didn't want to do that during the day (its BIG).
      2: Known issue - every URL is different now, google will index over time and return better results.
      3: This ia a new database with existing data imported into it. It uses a different encoding so some things will be weird in the old data (prob not new posts though)
      4: It's longer now. Not too long though.
      5: I'm okay with that. It's only "fluff" and doesn't need real estate.
      6: I'll look at that when the main fires are out. Initial look at android and the site looks way better than it did.
      7: Weird importation of permissions. Fixed now.

Comment

> 4. (subjective) Post listing seems far too sparse now with only 10 posts per page.

I notice the same. Also went looking for a setting where I can just see the headings only and not have 3 or 4 lines of the topics text filling up space. With headings only I got lots to a page and could quickly see just what what I was interested in. Now I have to do a lot more scrolling. On busy days it will be very noticeable.

On the positive, the fonts are sharper/clearer.

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Per post #5, the page length is now 15 posts (up from the default of 10) we can make it longer but are just as likely to get people say it's too long.

We'll look at usability tweaks over time, they are major code edits that can end in tears really easily and need to avoided till things settle-down.

How do I mark all the posts as read? Why do I have to add a valid URL to make a post?

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a weird one. I can recreate it using a test account too.
          Does it only happen in this area of the forum?

Fixed:

1: The forum was changing apostrophe to ’ now working as it should in this thread at least

2: Search has been indexed overnight, works FASTER than any other version of CoffeeSnobs forums in the last 15 years. It also has a drop down to search titles only and advanced options to refine.

Comment

Post #7:
          I can post in other areas of the forum okay with a test account. It appears to just be the News section and anywhere your get shown a "Add Link" on the bottom of the quick reply box.

Should be fixable, I'll keep digging.

Comment

Well done Andy. T his looks like best CS upgrade ever, retaining much of the look and feel of the old version with great Improvements to make a cleaner, faster and slicker site.

It wants me to add a valid URL. I noticed the message preview had :// at the bottom. Could that be the culprit or is that part of the Add Link box below the message pane?

Comment

• Andy
              Andy commented
              Editing a comment
              It will be all user accounts that get shown the URL "Add Link" at the bottom of the quick reply box and are required to add a link (I don't get it as admin).
              It gets worse than that too, your post and the others were hidden from the forum in a "requires moderation" queue because you added a link!

Upside:
              It's only the News sections (I think)
              I'm working on it (in parallel with other gotchas)
              It should be fixable!

Many many thanks Andy! Truly appreciate the hard work you're putting into this :-)

Comment

• Andy
              Andy commented
              Editing a comment
              Ta. 'tis a little crazy initially but I'll keep chipping at the gotchas.

Fixed:

Because this new forum software isn't compatible with the previous URL's, Google search results and people's bookmarks were hitting the forum with the following:

Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.

Click image for larger version

Name:	404.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	824017

Now it will just redirect to the home page which has to be better than me getting a gazillion emails!

Prior to the upgrade I looked deeply at fudging the database to avoid this but after many days of testing it became clear that "pulling the bandaid off" was a better solution than patching and hacking forever.

Comment

On the main page where the latest posts are, it only seems to show the first post of the topic, not the latest.
              EG: For this one, I always see the text from the first post.

Comment

• Andy
                Andy commented
                Editing a comment
                Fixed:
                It now shows the last dozen posts, not the 8 threads with updated posts. Your post is in the list now if you're fast.

Annnnnddd.. it's fixed!

Comment

My "comment" inline reply above was also a test of the "Latest Posts" widget-thingy. It put it at the top of the latest posts list and your one is 3/4 of the way down.

Comment

Working...
                X