Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoffeeSnobs - Server chaos weekend (Happy Easter 2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think these screenshots will help. The 'View All' button at the bottom of the 'Latest Posts' section on the right hand side (on tablets and PCs) provides the very similar functionality as the old 'new posts' button (I missed it as well). It gives a list of the latest posts (not topics) and has the latest post listed is shortened form. This means if the topic is one you have been reading and someone posts 'I agree' there is no need to click on it, if there are five paragraphs of instructions you will get the first line and can click for more. (you do see posts you have read in this list)

The 'View All' button location and result:

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	222.0 KB ID:	825484

VIEW ALL results

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	825485
    Last edited by 338; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos75 View Post
      Not sure if it's just me and I'm going blind, but since the upgrade I can't find the 'New Topic' button.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 New Topics.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	825511

Java "A picture's worth lots of words" phile
      Attached Files
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Name:	20200425_110525.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	825517
        Not sure if it's just me and I'm going blind, but since the upgrade I can't find the 'New Topic' button.
        Do youmean a button to create a New Topic? Perhaps Andy has just tweaked it this morning but there is a New Topic button in forums that allow New Topics to be created. There isn't one in the News forum as creating new topics is not allowed.
        Last edited by flynnaus; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post

Do youmean a button to create a New Topic? Perhaps Andy has just tweaked it this morning but there is a New Topic button in forums that allow New Topics to be created. There isn't one in the News forum as creating new topics is not allowed.
          That's the same as it was on the old site in the News forum.

Java "Some things don't change" phile

Comment

Aaaaaaand Tapatalk is baaaaack! (Some features it still isn't displaying but the main stuff is working). Find it so much easier having the forums that I frequent all within this, hoping it stays but understand if not. Thanks Andy for getting it back on board and for all your efforts with the new format! Edit: ah just saw some prior posts. So I'm using Android, Tapatalk is working, with some funky Tapatalk issues still (number of person's total posts not displayed, total number of thread posts is different) but I'm ok with that haha.

Comment

• Andy
              Andy commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool.
              Some features it still isn't displaying
              Specifics? Tapatalk isn't very configurable, you get what you get (including their ads)

Email post notifications are starting to come through, unsure if it was me changing the (safe sender) setting in outlook or something else, regardless, its a good result.

Thanks for the heads up Andy.🙂

Name:	Squeaky wheel..jpg
Views:	146
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	825527

Comment

• Andy
              Andy commented
              Editing a comment
              It was certainly your spam settings as all email was leaving here.

The gotcha with email, people forget that it's just like posting a letter in a letterbox, you know you posted it, it's up to others to deliver it... sometime in the future.

Sorry to make changes and muck-up the above screenshots but we'll give this a try (and await feedback)

If you are not logged in then you won't get the New Posts and Today's Posts buttons.
            (to stop search engines, "bots" and guests from hurting database performance)

Not logged in

If you are logged in, you'll get two tabs under the FORUMS and BEANBAY buttons.

Logged in

Returns a compact view of any posts in the last 2 weeks that you have not read (or marked as read).
            (Gotchas: it might throw an error if you have too many unread posts and it might not update instantly as it's a server side task that marks posts as read on a schedule)

Today's Posts:
            Returns a list of all the posts today regardless if you have read them or not.
            If they are unread, the title of the post will be BOLDER than a post you have read.

Comment

338Javaphile Thanks - sorry I might have confused terminology, but was looking to create a new topic.

flynnaus - I can now see that "New Topic" button, but not in the "Coffee Hardware for Sale" forum

Comment

flynnaus - I can now see that "New Topic" button, but not in the "Coffee Hardware for Sale" forum
                Check again. The button should be there as you have the proper permissions.

Java "Clear your cache" phile

Comment

Yes, neither can I in that forum but can see it in nearly every other forum. I tried it on two different browsers. It must work as others have added new For Sale posts since the upgrade. Bug or we are missing something?

Comment

• Andy
                    Andy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not likely to have "bugs" just configuration woes.

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post

Yes, neither can I in that forum but can see it in nearly every other forum. I tried it on two different browsers. It must work as others have added new For Sale posts since the upgrade. Bug or we are missing something?
                  Flynn and Chaos, my result is the same, even after clearing my cache. Maybe a bug?

Comment

Try now.
                    Tests okay with my test account

Comment

338 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And there it is, as if like magic

• Andy
                      Andy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I resemble that remark. Watch me pull a rabbit out of a hat.

• flynnaus
                      flynnaus commented
                      Editing a comment
                      All good now

Yay! A new posts button (the button formerly known as "new topics")

Comment

Thanks all - I can see it now as well!

Comment

Andy, the configuration changes you have made on the 'new posts' button where it now shows the first line of the post have made it just about perfect. The previous version was easily my most used button, I am sure this one will be as well. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                        X