Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoffeeSnobs - Server chaos weekend (Happy Easter 2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 338 View Post
    Andy, the configuration changes you have made on the 'new posts' button where it now shows the first line of the post have made it just about perfect. The previous version was easily my most used button, I am sure this one will be as well. Thank you
    Good stuff. The gotcha with "one size fits all" on a forum of 55,000 members is it never really will fit everyone but a happy medium is a good result.

The "New Posts" button will let you quickly skim the replies, expand one if needed via "See More" and "Go to Post" buttons which is really efficient.
    If one thread is very busy it might fill the first page of results and if you had no interest in it I could see that annoying some but it's the best compromise that I can cobble together at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by 338 View Post
      Andy, the configuration changes you have made on the 'new posts' button where it now shows the first line of the post have made it just about perfect. ...........
      I totally agree this is a significant improvement and makes it much more user friendly. Thanks Andy

Comment

You can't please everyone, can you? The changes that were made to the "new posts" button don't suit me. I prefer the way it was, which effectively showed threads with new posts. So if a thread had say five new posts, it would appear in the listing just once, not five times, which is how the link seems to work now. I also preferred the more compact form - less pages to scroll through.

Can we please have both a "new posts" button and a "threads with new posts" button? Failing that, Andy, would you mind providing the syntax for the previous form of the button so that I can save it as a bookmark?

Comment

Originally posted by gunda View Post
          You can't please everyone, can you?
          Appears not (sadly).

Can we please have both a "new posts" button and a "threads with new posts" button?
          What we have as of now is:

I've moved away from threads as it might be more cryptic to newbies, topics is more descriptive.

Comment

• gunda
            gunda commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that Andy. Sorry to have to ask for more changes, but as you and Java "changes, more changes!" Phile have noted, the new forum is a work in progress. The New Topics search is a common approach and used in other forums, e.g. HB, but many others as well. Scrolling quickly through New Posts is an efficient way to see which threads with recent posts are of interest to me and worth diving into.

simonsk8r artman
          ...as the last two in this thread to use Tapatalk... have a look at a thread on your phone which next to a computer.

Seems that tapatalk ignores/hides the inline comments which will make some threads seem weird.

See if your devices are the same and if so, you might want to report it Tapatalk as a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            simonsk8r artman ...as the last two in this thread to use Tapatalk... have a look at a thread on your phone which next to a computer. Seems that tapatalk ignores/hides the inline comments which will make some threads seem weird. See if your devices are the same and if so, you might want to report it Tapatalk as a bug.
            Ahhh yes actually I did notice those inline replies on the new forum format, and how on Tapatalk it seemed like some people were having conversations with themselves in some threads haha! Thanks for the heads up

Comment

just had a look at this thread, tapatalk (ios) looks to be identical to browser (chrome).

Cheers

Comment

• Andy
                Andy commented
                Editing a comment
                So you see this comment on both platforms?
                It might just be an android tapatalk problem.

Originally posted by artman View Post
              just had a look at this thread, tapatalk (ios) looks to be identical to browser (chrome). Cheers
              Ahh ok, I use Android and it seems that alot of posts aren't showing up.. I'll have to follow it up with Tapatalk

Comment

One bug/thing I noticed is that on Tapatalk iOS you can keep scrolling when you get to the end of the thread and it just keeps reloading the last few over and over. Thought I was going crazy the first few times until it clicked... no biggie just FYI I too miss the previous “new posts” button that showed each thread that had new new posts. But on Tapatalk you still get that functionality. Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by artman View Post
                  FYI I too miss the previous “new posts” button that showed each thread that had new new posts.
                  Bookmark this: Unread Posts

Java "Better?" phile

new Post vs new Comment

The first thread/topic is one containing a new Post while the 2nd one down is a thread/topic containing a new Comment. Notice the difference in appearance in them. (Note: The red square was edited in for a different post and does not appear in the online software.)
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

• gunda
                    gunda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can see there's a difference Javaphile, but what is it? Is Andy's version only showing unread posts since my last visit and yours is showing all unread posts?

• Javaphile
                    Javaphile commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is one difference with another being the displaying not only of all topics/threads with new Posts in them but also any topics/threads with *just* new Comments in them as well. See the pic I added to the post these comments are attached too to see the difference in how they are displayed.

Java "Options!" phile

• gunda
                    gunda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Java "Build a better 'New Topics' button and they will come" Phile. That sounds like just what the Doctor ordered. I wonder whether Andy might consider this for New Topics rather than his current formulation, even though strictly speaking it's more than just new topics. Anyway, I've bookmarked it as my entry point to CS.

• Originally posted by artman View Post
                  One bug/thing I noticed is that on Tapatalk iOS you can keep scrolling when you get to the end of the thread and it just keeps reloading the last few over and over. Thought I was going crazy the first few times until it clicked... no biggie just FYI I too miss the previous “new posts” button that showed each thread that had new new posts. But on Tapatalk you still get that functionality. Cheers
                  Ah yep my Tapatalk does that too haha.. thought it was just subtly telling me there are naughty posts below!

Comment

• (spamming post in the other thread) made me realise there is no button to report SPAM in the new software ?

Comment

• Andy
                      Andy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There is in some sections (called flag) but not all. ie: General coffee there is, News section there isn't. I'll investigate and see why.

• Have reported Contact Us web form. Yes, we need a report button.

Comment

• Andy
                      Andy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ta. Moved these two posts from the initial thread.
                      Spam deleted, user banned.

• Okay, after a pile of testing I think you guys have found a bug.

The flag/report button appears on all the posts in all the sections of the forum that you are allowed to "Post New Topic".
                    In areas like News, BeanBay Banter etc that you can reply to a topic but not post a new topic the flag/report isn't under the posts.

I'll dig some more but expect it's something we'll have to live with until the developer fixes it in a future version (if they can replicate it and or take it seriously).

Till then, the Contact Us will be the only option in areas the Flag doesn't appear under a post.

Comment

338 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice to see CS has helped finding a genuine bug

• Originally posted by barlo View Post
                    There appears to be a copy on manualslib.
                    I just tried to upload the one from manualslib but it's over 2mb so I can't.

Comment

• Andy
                      Andy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      level3ninja What format is the upload? (PDF, ZIP etc)
                  Working...
                  X