Christmas Period Freight - 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Period Freight - 2020

Freight at anytime of year can be random and quirky and during a pandemic it's obviously worse.
    Add to that the huge online volume for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales and more again for Christmas and Boxing Day and you know it's all going pear-shaped fast.

CoffeeSnobs will always ship your order when we receive payment in our account.

Google your bank name and Osko or PayID and you'll most likely find that your online bank account supports near instant transfers for free. This will help your orders to ship same day and will arrive a day earlier. About half of the CS community are still doing old, slow Internet transfers and adding a delay to when we can ship your order.

We understand the stress caused by waiting for something but obviously we can't do more than ship it on time and then rely on the 1000's of drivers and sorters Australia wide to do their best to keep it moving.

Express Post -
    Stats on the last 200 satchels all over Australia:
    86 were delivered the next day
    80 were delivered in two days
    25 in three days
    9 were four days or more.
    It's expensive but usually the fastest option with three quarters of them delivered within two days.

Fastway and Australia Post eParcel
    Most deliveries are a little bit slower but it's hard to generalise as some areas are hopeless and some great.
    Parts of the network are totally overloaded and cannot physically move any more parcels than they are while others are keeping on top of the volume increase and are only a day or two slower than normal.

BeanBay always shows your order status and tracking when you are logged in.

Freight punchline:
    Order earlier, pay by Osko or PayID for no fees and stress about freight times far less!

Coming soon:

Behmor Brazen V3
    The latest Australian brewers are arriving to the docks on the 17th December. Ship unloading, customs clearances and freight to the Snobbery are usually a week but that close to Christmas I wouldn't try and guess. When we can touch them they'll appear in BeanBay

Yemen
    Our shipment has left Yemen and is in another country now, it will leave from their docks soon, ship to Singapore, change ships to Australia and arrive at our docks mid January. Customs clearances and inspections will mean end of January at the Snobbery (we hope).

We don't normally promote things we can't touch as it just fills my inbox with "are we there yet" and "but you PROMISED" when freight takes longer than it should but the above two items have a long list of people waiting.

We will be shipping every business day including the 22nd December then start again on the 29th (for green) and the 30th (for roasted).

Andy

How do you find Fastway (Aramex) compared to Austpost especially in terms of reliability (eg lost parcels, shipping damage, slow delivery etc) ?

Comment

• prh
      prh commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm (obviously) not Andy, but I have had a number of poor experiences with Fastway - parcels taking painfully long time to deliver, and have also had 2 parcels go MIA in recent months. Given the choice, I will always go for Aus Post over Aramex/Fastway.

(Andy comment) - Just to be clear, the MIA you had were not from CoffeeSnobs

• Ted2013
      Ted2013 commented
      Editing a comment
      Had a recent experience with Aramex/Fastway that was mixed. Nothing to do with Andy's beans. Looks as if the local Fastway distribution is currently overloaded. Finally got my package at 8.30 PM on Friday after it had been in the van for 2 days. The driver had a sad tale though having lost some cases of wine that fell out of the back of his van going up a hill. At least the local office communicated well and the driver was apparently one of their better ones who actually rings the door bell.

We have a PO Box and much prefer the convenience of picking up packages at the Post Office. I have found Austpost to be reliable and generally hassle free

• prh
      prh commented
      Editing a comment
      "(Andy comment) - Just to be clear, the MIA you had were not from CoffeeSnobs"

Correct - not deliveries from CS.

I used AP for Beanbay purchases when I was in Melbourne, now using Fastway as I'm back in regional VIC (Beechworth)*. Our local Fastway / Aramex service is obviously one of the good ones, every delivery has arrived well within the scheduled period, usually in two days but one time overnight which is frankly amazing.

BTW Andy you are selling yourself short: (86 + 80) / 200 is 83%, almost 5/6 rather than 3/4.

*Obviously this doesn't affect Beanbay, but if you send something from Beechworth to Albury (which is 40 km away) by AP it goes down to Melbourne mail centre, is transhipped to Sydney mail centre then delivered to Albury, so it covers almost 2000 km. I understand spoke and hub shipping but that's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted2013 View Post
      How do you find Fastway (Aramex) compared to Austpost especially in terms of reliability (eg lost parcels, shipping damage, slow delivery etc) ?
      Same, same. Reliability of both is great and statistically neither damage nor lose parcels. Lost parcels are about 1:2500 or less, damaged similar stats and slow is mostly area dependant. Nearly everything gets to where it should eventually.

The advantage with Aramex is that typically your local driver is a franchise owner of your area. You'll get their mobile phone number if you want it which can be far better than dealing with a call-centre and because they are an owner, not an employee it's more in their interest to look after their customers.

Aramex have area franchise depots (eg: Melbourne, Geelong, Bendigo and Albury to cover Victoria) and each depot has drivers who "own" a local area. Their system works pretty well most of the time but we know of places that are on the "wrong side of the road" to get service.

(86 + 80) / 200 is 83%, almost 5/6 rather than 3/4.
      Nah, the last 100 were not as good as the previous 100 so it was an intentional fudge to better represent the average.

Comment

Ordered 5kgs of beans Monday morning, chose fastway, did transfer Osko, received beans in Canberra Tuesday lunch. That is frickin amazing considering it's a busy time. But this is an exception as I'm still waiting for other stuff I purchased on the net which is frustrating.
        Last edited by damirvrkic; 9 December 2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Dimal
          Dimal commented
          Editing a comment
          Andy (and mob) set a very high bar for others to aspire to...

Beans roasted yesterday. At my door (Brisbane) today 9:15 am. Aus Post express. Thank you Andy (and Aus Post!) 😎

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Delivered 1800km away 16 odd hours after the roasted coffee hit the cooling tray --- that's fresh coffee.

Enjoy!

My 18kg boxes of greens have been taking three weeks to get to WA since Covid, but this week they arrived on the 14th day which was a pleasant surprise. Even though Fastway take a while to get to me I have adjusted my ordering to keep my bean cupboard well stocked, great value and they have never failed to deliver, I have another shipment in transit across the Nulla, will they arrive before Christmas????

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Will they arrive? Ask me on the 26th (although you'll know then too)

I'm glad the last one arrived earlier than you expected. Perth (and FNQ) is obviously a long way from anywhere and then add a pandemic, black-friday and Christmas and I expect the delivery pile at the end of a long haul trip is huge.

Perth depot traditionally falls in a screaming heap at Christmas, seems they are somewhat keeping on top of the influx this year but that can change quickly.

You ordering earlier and buffering the lag will go a long way to stop unnecessary hair colour changes

Happy roasting Greenman

This one was shipped to Brissy on Friday 27th Nov.
        https://www.aramex.com.au/tools/track/?l=QD0002113533
        ...and it's still in the black-hole of freight.

Normally about a week, it's now two weeks and counting and hopefully appears soon.

Comment

• prh
          prh commented
          Editing a comment
          This is more consistent with my experience of Aramex. Scan on pick up. Then radio silence.

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          ...because none of the shipping companies unload them halfway to scan the items. If they did it would take even longer to get to you.

I've been nagging on deaf ears for them to scan the cages that they are put into. Then they could update scanning enroute a whole lot easier by scanning a cage and then every item in it would get a tracking event update. At least if you can see it moving you are less likely to annoy the guy that shipped it on time

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Heard from the customer today that this is showing as "on board" for delivery today.

Guessing it got to Brissy fast but they have a big pile that they are working through.

I have just has a similar Aramex experience ordering some inks & labels. Ordered and dispatched 2/12/20, only arrived yesterday from Sydney - Brisbane Sat 12/12/20. No change of status in tracking since 3/12 until it changed to Delivered. Other Oz Post delivered stuff arrived within a few days, also from Sydney. I suspect Covid & Xmas is being used as excuses for slack service?

Graham

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          As an excuse? Far from it. Our local Post Mail centre have been buying warehouses in the area to buffer freight that they can't deliver and can't sort. They have bought a pile of buildings and they are all full of parcels. It's insane to see.

Covid made sorting slower as they need social distancing between staff, only half the sorters are working. Millions of additional items were bought in the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales and they are filling the network capacity, add in a Christmas where more people are freighting instead of traveling and you have a log-jam.

Think Aramex are shipping a lot of wine ATM which may be overloading some of their couriers. That was the cause of the delay in me receiving a package from O/S.

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Talking to the local guys (and we have a lot of wineries in the area) the wines are a pain as they hit their weight limits at half a van full and have to return to the depot 3 times a day to get it all out but the thing that gives them the most amount of grief is the little white plastic packets from China (junk with free freight). They come into the country in bulk and a depot can get tens of thousands of them at once. Delivering them still requires driving to an address and going to the door and they would struggle to do 400 in a long day.

• Ted2013
          Ted2013 commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought most of those small packets from China go via Austpost. ChinaPost seems to have some deal with Austpost.

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Post get the slow ones (and hate them too), the faster delivery options out of CN go bulk to Fastway distribution and fill the network after that.

The post service is back on track for the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. 2 day turnaround, not bad at all.

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          86snowy glad yours was fast, some others not many kilometres from you are seeing a couple of days longer.

• Moulard
          Moulard commented
          Editing a comment
          I can beat that...

Ordered Friday 9.30 am ; shipped by 1pm and delivered at 9.20am Saturday ..

The only way it could have conceivably been quicker is if I took a road trip down the M1 to visit Andy in person.

Originally posted by greenman View Post
        My 18kg boxes of greens have been taking three weeks to get to WA since Covid, but this week they arrived on the 14th day which was a pleasant surprise. Even though Fastway take a while to get to me I have adjusted my ordering to keep my bean cupboard well stocked, great value and they have never failed to deliver, I have another shipment in transit across the Nulla, will they arrive before Christmas????
        Yessss, my shipment arrived today (11days), most impressed, especially at this time of year!!!!

Comment

Only 7 days for me to Brissy (AusPost), arrived yesterday ordered last Friday, so really it was only 5 days. Also thanks to Andy & Co's quick action in sending it.

Comment

My order arrived today, just in time for Christmas! Posted by Andy on Monday, delivered in Brisbane Saturday (Fastway).

Comment

• Andy
              Andy commented
              Editing a comment
              ...and they don't work Saturday's so it appears Brissy is busy trying as hard as they can to get the backlog out. Nice!

Another quick turn-around. Beans roasted yesterday, delivered to Brissy today (Aus Post express).

Comment

Working...
            X