a different take on coffee art.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a different take on coffee art.

photography is another one of my hobbies. Been playing with some off-camera lighting, and came up with this:

Re: a different take on coffee art.

Mmmmm........very nice pic.

Comment

Stunning photo, matt! Submit that one for the calender!

Comment

theres a calendar? (havent visited here for a while)

ok.

Comment

Nice one Matt. Any more?

Have you got a flickr account or something similar?

Comment

Matty, fantastic snap - love the moody, kinda dark feel about the pour & the shadowing in your set-up.

For what its worth, hope you dont mind my opinion ... I reckon set up same as you did with lighting & do it again, but if ya had 30ml less water as the base, smaller vessel (ml wise & height), then snapped 1-2sec later, then the pour would be the initial focal point, seeing a bit of amber richness forming, with my glance THEN looking down at the interaction of extraction with H2O.

Nonetheless, dont get me wrong, love your pic & passion to make it work mate!

Cheers,
            Tony

Tony

Comment

nice pic mate! Is that a La Marzocco? The sloped grip handle looks familiar. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Framey link=1188617198/0#4 date=1188652440
                Have you got a flickr account or something similar?
                yep: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89561504@N00/. its not all coffee though.

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1188617198/0#5 date=1188734486
                For what its worth, hope you dont mind my opinion ... I reckon set up same as you did with lighting & do it again, but if ya had 30ml less water as the base, smaller vessel (ml wise & height), then snapped 1-2sec later, then the pour would be the initial focal point, seeing a bit of amber richness forming, with my glance THEN looking down at the interaction of extraction with H2O.
                I tried something similar to begin with, but with backlighting, the espresso pour dripping off the spouts doesnt illuminate. Id need another light pointing at the pour to illuminate it, but that would take away the backlighting effect.

Nice thought though.

Originally posted by Ozi link=1188617198/0#6 date=1188745707
                nice pic mate! Is that a La Marzocco? The sloped grip handle looks familiar. :P
                yes! its my La Marzocco GS3!!!!

... just kidding.

I wish I had a GS3. I dont have the thousands to spare though. Its an expobar office pulser, and I bought a La Marzocco Lion portafilter to replace the stock portafilter, which got chopped to make a naked pf. I dont really pull naked shots anymore though. The LM Lion pf is deeper, so it can hold a triple basket, which I prefer.

The only thing that needed to be done was to slightly file down the lugs on either side of the portafilter, so that they arent as thick, so that the portafilter will lock in all the way.

Comment

My take ... as said Matty, great work! Love the moody darkness you got as background, not theme.

Agreed, direct 2nd lighting would detract from the shot & f*** what you were trying to encompass. I reckon dont direct 2nd light directly on the spout, but re-position the light so it bounces off against all the stainless reflection happening in your "Expo-wannabe LM" behind the group on a different angle, then ya dont need another light - utilise natural reflection at hand to highlight that pictorial wow-factor of golden crema poured!

(eg) Look around at design-oriented cafes, & lighting infrastructure & angling - its a big investment for a reason.

Cheers,
                  Tony (dose clicks quicker than shutter speed as yet!)

Comment

Love it MattyJ

Comment

Nice shot.

I think a second light would definitely work. Just need to set it up with a two or three stop difference.

Is there really a calendar? If there isnt there should be!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X