My Latte Art Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latte Art Diary

Back in the ol days I thought I was a coffee aficionado when I ditched the ol Blend 43, only to move to the Gold Label then Nescafe Espresso.. you know the one with the green label? Oh how could I have been sooooo narrow minded.

Well its been a bit over a year since I became an enlightened coffeesnob and introduced to the world constant learning and improving of brew after brew. My first machine was a Sunbeam crema series, but then upgraditis hit and in came the Expobar Minore, thanks to Renzo and Ofra at Di Bartoli who were great and so ever patient (thanks guys) with my indecisiveness on which machine to buy. Since then, upgraditis had hit again and again...

Toys aside, the latest thing Ive been into are free-pours and since everyone has been sharing theirs around I thought Id jump in and post some of my efforts. Ive only just started so theyre looking pretty ordinary (my first one looked like a blob) :-[

Hopefully as time goes on, Ill improve and well see the progression on this thread

Anyway, here goes... pics to come!

Re: My Latte Art Diary

18 April 2008:

Not my first attempt but definately first with some resemblance of shape to it. I think this was attempt number 5 or 6, with the earlier ones literally being blobs of white. An embarassing attempt at a rosetta but hey they say practice makes perfect.

Comment

25 April 2008:

Next attempt following day. Hmmm... definately something forming there. Not enough push in first drop of white-foam and wrist swinging too much. A rosetto that had its top blown with smoke? A peacock perhaps? :-?

Comment

26 April 2008:

A bit rounded but getting there. I think theres some definition starting to form there nevertheless not quite what I was aiming for. Not great but one of the better ones Ive done to date.

Sorry for the differences in quality of pictures and color - been switching between a proper camera and my mobile phone (whichever camera was closest).

Comment

27 April 2008:

Hey, I think Ive figured out how to start the base. This one has a nice start to the base (well, based on my standards anyway) of the rosetta. Need more of a push to start it off and steady control of the wrist. Unfortunately I was paying too much attention to the base of the leaf and didnt realise I had got to the end. I ended up being a bit heavy handed and the result was a another leaf with smoke blown off its top.

Comment

3 May 2008:

Wow, managed to amaze myself with this one... my first pour with what looks like (what could be) a proper rosetta! I think Im getting the hang of managing the pour now. Just need to control the finer pour near the end to form a sharp tip.

Feeling pretty good today 8-)

Comment

3 May 2008:

Same one, aerial shot from the top. It even tasted pretty good too

Comment

Looking good 30, Id be pleased with that last one.

Cheers.................Sean

Comment

Stunning progress for a fortnight!

Keep going at that rate and in 12 months time you will be giving the Australian Latte Art scene a shake-up.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the support guys

Yeah watch out Jack/Scottie/Dave! Seriously... I dunno if I can aspire to that level of skill but certainly will be happy in getting to the level of some of the pours Ive seen posted here by CS members.... then again you never know eh Andy? :

Comment

I watched Jack/Scottie/Dave on the weekend and I think we have some CSrs that can mix it with the best of them!

To be fair to the pros, doing it at home and only posting your best shot is a little different to competition conditions.

Still... we will all watch your progress with interest.

Comment

7 May 2008:

Just pulled this one and enjoying the cup now. Was trying to get a curved rosetta this time, whilst aiming to get a sharper tip.

Whats even better is that this is my own roast. After 7 days rest and I waited patiently for this day to come to try my first proper home-roast. Very smooooth and sweet... didnt even need sugar!

Bean was Colombian Vulcan Galeras SO. Roasted to CS11 I think (I havent got my CS member card yet).

Comment

Nothing like a cuppa with sexy sexy art......maybe I should start my own diary!

Good work 30in30!!

Comment

28 May 2008:

Been awhile since I updated something here. Strangely, for some reason I went through a bad patch where I was pouring duds... thats not to say that what Ive posted to date are anything better... LOL ;D

Using Uganda Bugisu AA & A2 Lite milk. Day 10 post-roast and flavour still developing very nicely. Strangely, coffee seems to taste much better if any one of the following applies (a) you roast it yourself (b) you make it yourself (c) you achieve latte art! Noticed I said seems... its probably just a bias thing

Comment

Working...
                            X