Re: Bean Art - "The One".

Dont half love coffee do you mate. 8-)

Comment

I love individuals.

Very noice, Andy.

Comment

They could write a song to go with the pic called "Ive bean everywhere man"

Comment

I dont understand.   :-/

What means? its a special bean? its a metaphore about individualism? Is so, coffee and individualism have relation?

(sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by oton link=1225698088/0#6 date=1225825663
                I dont understand.   :-/

What means? its a special bean? its a metaphore about individualism? Is so, coffee and individualism have relation?

(sorry)
                I dont know how to properly reply, oton, and I think thats why no one else has yet. Art is in the eye of the viewer and Im certainly not setting myself up as an expert (by any means). Nor would I tell you what you should see in it. But Ill tell you what I see in it...

Its such an apt photo subject for this forum. The beans are given animate qualities (ie they are brought to life). The bean in the foreground can be seen as being an individual, a pioneer, courageous, a loner or maybe just curious. The beans in the background are the pack, society, conformity (the clinical white surface creates the illusion that that is all there is, that is their society) - seemingly oblivious to "the one". (Are they hanging around waiting their turn to go into the grinder?)

But its "the one" who has sought to engage with us, the CS community, to break away from the confines of the sociological structure. To me it represents individualism - being daring, not following or sticking within the bounds of societys expectations, seeking to communicate with and understand those outside your "group". To extend beyond your comfort zone, to follow your heart.

The picture has a kind of "romantic" quality to it, representing each of our individual ideals, our image of ourselves as someone who stands apart from the pack and it probably appeals to those of us with just such a romantic streak.

But then again, it could be just a bunch of beans.  :-[  (Maybe I should have just stopped at "I like it, Andy - nice.")  ;D

Others may see it completely differently to me, others may see nothing - doesnt matter. Thats art.

There are much more qualified artists and art appreciators out there than me (come on, Den.). But it doesnt necessarily mean their opinion is any more relevant than mine or yours, oton.

Greg

Comment

lol...an eloquent description Greg, that I doubt could be improved upon.

Ill borrow some old lyrics from Squeeze...

"Take me Im yours
                  Because dreams are made of this
                  Forever therell be
                  A heaven in your kiss"

Comment

Ha ha,  thanks, Den.

Are we onto song lyrics now? Great, cos I love great song lyrics (and, again, one persons definition of great may be anothers drivel).

I am in awe of certain song writers and would give my left whatsit for their ability to say in a lyric what I feel. Springsteen (Thunder Road, Racing in the Streets, etc), Eddie Vedder (Alive, Better Man, Black), Paul Kelly (Everythings Turning to White, Gravy) and (of course) Dylan.

But one lyric that gets me everytime (in the context of the song) is from Jimmy Webbs Witchita Lineman-

"And I need you more than want you
                    And I want you for all time"

Cheers.

Edit- Hmmm... probably gone a bit off-topic. Nice bean pic, Andy. 8-)

Comment

I thought the end of the bean closest to us looked like a bum.

After reading your descreption greg, I looked at it a bit differently and really like your explanation to it, and I also felt a bit embarrassed that I all I saw was a bum.

Now I just asked my wife to come over and look at it and asked here what she saw, she said "a coffee bean" when I asked if she saw anything else she said, "a vagina" now I am not only embarrassed but my face hurts from laughing.

Comment

~~~~

Comment

Nice Photo - I like the minimalism. ;D

Greg - Cut down on the caffeine. Or seek help - Or join an Art appreciation society they may understand what you were saying ;D ;D ;D

Comment

I now know why I ditched English as a subject all those years ago in Matric.

Apart from that, nice tips.

Cheers

Comment

Here is my poor attempt at Puck Art inspired by Andy 8-)

I modified the image.

Comment

Working...
                              X