What size is a Piccolo???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size is a Piccolo???

The Piccolo has become my fovourite dirnk, I discovered it at Di Bella in Brisbane and found it to be the right size for me. Its about a 75ml glass. I have since had it at various coffee shops in various sizes, from a half filled 8oz takeaway cup to a full 8oz glass.

My question is "What size is the Piccolo suppose to pucking be?"

(been reading about puck art) ;D

Re: What size is a Piccolo???

Its possible everyone will have a different answer, but I think generally 80-100 mls.

I too love Piccolos. Just be careful when ordering them, some places seem to mistake piccolo latte for soy latte; it must be my thick aussie accent. ;D

Comment

Thanks ACog
      That was my thoughts too

My understanding it that Piccolo is Italian for small.
      Not sure how you would misunderstand piccolo for soy :-?

Comment

I find if you order a "small latte" however, they tend to give you a normal latte, as opposed to a starbucks 5 gallon latte.

Ordering in a language I dont speak somehow conveys the fact I want a SMALL latte.

Comment

Excerpt from The Coffeehouse Dictionary
          http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:1bqikPdmoCoJ:www.geocities.com/connorbd/coffee/coffeewords.html+meaning+coffee+term+%22piccolo%22 &cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk

Size -- Coffee house sizes are a world unto themselves. The three that would probably be most frequently understood would be short (Italian piccolo), tall (alto), and grande; these usually, though not always, correspond to small, medium and large. At Starbucks, these sizes are eight, twelve and sixteen ounces; there is also a twenty-ounce size called the Venti, which is the Italian word for twenty

KK

Comment

I like to work on about 1 part espresso to 1-2 parts milk. So if its a single shot, 60-90mls or so. Double, 120... etc

Most of the places I have asked for it (and not had to explain what I wanted) I have received a largish shot glass (prob about 75mls like you got at DiBella. It really depends on where you get it from though. Once I remember getting a small latte glass with a metal handle.

More recently Ive been drinking strong fws instead because I can get a few shots and have it last more than 2 sips.

Comment

Originally posted by 417872727E7D7E5D70656574110 link=1239136576/5#5 date=1240532119
              Double, 120... etc
              Thats the range I work to as well... 8-)

Too much milk and flavour intensity starts to dwindle a little too much for me.

Mal.

Comment

Order a picolo in perth and youre more likely to get around 120mls. Me, i go for 90

Comment

Oops... :-[

I misread your post "PL"... I was referring to a Piccolo based on a Double with an all-up volume of around 120ml and maybe up to a max of 150ml for a roast with "bite"...

Mal.

Comment

No, thats what I meant too Mal, and I totally agree about the milk taking over sometimes.

My ratio thing was based on a std shot of say 30mls... Plus between 30 and 60 mls of milk (1:1-2)

Comment

Originally posted by 172E2424282B280B26333322470 link=1239136576/9#9 date=1240632742
                      No, thats what I meant too Mal, and I totally agree about the milk taking over sometimes.

My ratio thing was based on a std shot of say 30mls... Plus between 30 and 60 mls of milk (1:1-2)
                      Ahh, excellent.... 8-)

While I do enjoy strong-ish milk coffee drinks, I cant really take to mixing proportions that result in the milk being more than 150% of the original shot volume... Even the pure Robusta S.O. I had a go at earlier today. Milks nice, in small doses

Mal.

Comment

Agreed Mal

To much milk sits in my stomach to heavily, hence the piccolo.

Thanks for the input guys
                        BTW this site is fantastic ;D

Comment

I purchased some 50ml ACF cups today for ristrettos, short machs and piccolo lattes. I pull a double ristretto 20ml and top up with milk it makes a lovely rich drink without the milk drowning out the coffee. Bewdifulll!!

Comment

Just used this ratio but my double shot (18gms) was in 30ml and added 60ml milk, fantastic

Chris

Comment

Steaming 60ml of milk in even a 300ml jug is going to be a challenge. anyone know if a 150ml jug is available?

Comment

Working...
                              X