What is a perfect rosetta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a perfect rosetta?

I thought about this today, I mustve pulled at least 200 rosettas practicing, trying to refine the muscle motions and the general idea. But what really warrants the perfect image?

One thing is symmetry, that much I understand.

But what about the curl around the leaf? The hollowness in some leaves, or should all the leaves be hollow. A certain amount of leaves from top to bottom. Should the stem of the rosetta be close to the wall of the cup and not out by a cm or 2?

I kid you not, I cant answer these questions for myself and Im sure some of us around here, have been latte art judges. Thus the questions.

EDIT: Couldve probably been created in the milk texturing forum /fail

Re: What is a perfect rosetta?

if you chuck up a pic, someone might be able to creteque it? not me.....mine are average at this stage with the new machine!

Comment

Well I dont want to turn this into a seperate "judge my rosetta thread", as it is what I originally was asking, how do people judge a rosetta.. is it completely subjective on what looks nicer to that person looking at it? or are we truly trying to emulate a silver fern?

(examples of some stuff Ive snapped during work: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6170/img00074200909220655.jpg
      http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7456/img00119200910060921.jpg)

Comment

Here is one I like from the other day. Rate it and lets see what people think is the perfect rosetta.

Comment

Well, recently after speaking with a few folks who have been in latte art comps, judging, Ive come to the conclusion that its about three things.

These three things consist of contrast (crema+milk), symmetry and form. Having a washed out rosetta no matter how symetrical or perfectly formed it is, loses points. Vice-versa with the others.. so a perfect rosetta, is a balance of all three in a sense?

Comment

Sounds good to me. Mine at the moment are a bit average. Still rosettas, but definitely not anything like caffiene34 posted above.
            Thats a nice one, man.

- boingk

Comment

Robstar gave a good explaination.  

Just one more thing, as a professional barista or a confident coffee supplier, you will definitely want the customers could taste the best part of your coffee at their first sip.

That means, you must make sure there is crema all around the rim of your cup.    So the one from caffiene34 is alright, but the two from Robstar should go to the sink straight away ...

Comment

Good point, zgin, and welcome aboard! Kicker of a first post, too.

As for the sink...bit hash dont you reckon? At least use them as fuel for the next one ;D

- boingk

Comment

what is a perfect rosetta?

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
                  says the man who cant do a perfect rosetta :-[

Comment

throw robs 2 away their is nothing wrong with them .... i dont think you would be so harsh as to have to do that as it is the taste that counts and for people that cant do latte art wha are they suppoused to do ? stop making coffee ? for me i think that latte art is only a bonus that puts the extra visual appeal on the coffee but is just another tool for one barista to brag to others about his/hers "skill"

Comment

Originally posted by 322730262D272A365E0 link=1254910921/9#9 date=1267936167
                      throw robs 2 away their is nothing wrong with them
                      Hi Lynxsyth

I think zgin was only refering to the rosettas on the coffees, not the taste.

I agree tho with zgin, if the coffees arent sealed properly e.g.the crema encircling the rim of the cup, I would not serve them in a cafe environment.

At home of course is a different story, the inlaws get all kinds of stuff I wouldnt drink ;D

Comment

If anything, I think Zgin did make a point as far as serving art on the coffee went. Im not one to say my ego got bruised by his response, after all I was giving him the choice to make an opinion; although, he did take advantage of that to compete.

But these days, Ive come a long way since 5-6 months ago, and Ive come to better understand what makes a perfect rosetta. Maybe Ill post a picture of a few sometime tomorrow.

Also Ronin, ideally you cant afford to be picky in a cafe environment, either you bust them out properly or you dont try to bust them out at all. Whichever the case, Id slap your wrists if you threw a perfectly good tasting cup of coffee down the drain because the art didnt turn out how youd like it.

I would argue against that the best part of the coffee is the first sip. It should be the best all way through, start to finish. But this is on the other hand, and I havent got that hand open right now. So lets not discuss it in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 032F2C292E1F17400 link=1254910921/10#10 date=1268025767
                          I agree tho with zgin, if the coffees arent sealed properly e.g.the crema encircling the rim of the cup, I would not serve them in a cafe environment.
                          GJ would go broke over night if that was their policy and so would a few others ;D

If I pay for art, I expect to get it.. .... 8-)

If I want a coffee.. Then for me it is whats in teh cup and what hits my pallet that counts.. If the perfect Rosetta can somehow add to that; great.... As yet, I have not found art to add to the flavour.

For me is like my women.. Depth of Character and any number of other requirements over looks "pretty as a picture". I have seen plenty of great Art and as to the contents; I would not offer to the MIL.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D525B594E715D525D5B59515952483C0 link=1254910921/12#12 date=1268142398
                            If the perfect Rosetta can somehow add to that; great....
                            For me, i do the art thing, not only because it looks good in the cup, but it teaches me to make sure my texturing is spot on(or as close as i can get)everytime, and well textured milk DOES make a difference to teh taste

Comment

Originally posted by 12163029292C33242B450 link=1254910921/13#13 date=1268149003
                              well textured milk DOES make a difference to the taste
                              yep... ya just need to drop over and show me

Comment

Working...
                              X