Latte art question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latte art question

Been working on my "art" and its coming along OK (well i think). My milk was rubbish but i watched a few vids and now am getitng it a lot better. Still plenty of work to go

I am not getting good separation of my "leaves" and get more "hearts" or "ferns" but sometimes crack a better one

here is the question
    in this vid, about about 11->12 secs he moves the jug forward.
    Is the reason for this to get a rolling "current" in the crema that pulls / pushes it forward to allow separation in the leaves?

http://www.youtube.com/user/wchuan11#p/u/7/X6EuEygqB08

thanks

Re: Latte art question

Originally posted by 414D444949402C0 link=1263785821/0#0 date=1263785821
    in this vid, about about 11->12 secs he moves the jug forward.
    Is the reason for this to get a rolling "current" in the crema that pulls / pushes it forward to allow separation in the leaves?
    Thats fairly accurate i would say.

By doing this it causes the pressure from the milk under the surface to resist the poured milk from above which stops the pouring milk from being stained by the coffee. Deeper and wider cups behave differently due to the resistance provided from under the surface.

Its with this unstained milk that i start my latte art. Once i see that resistance i start the movement of the jug. Its sorta like a green lite for me. Sometimes youll notice that the milk rises up the other side of the cup as you pour. Its difficult for me to get decent art out when this happens so i stop the pour and start again.

Heres a vid of mine which shows what i mean...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BaristaEvolution#p/a/u/1/LFKhD3evhLQ

As you can see i had to stop momentarily to get that resistance back. I would usually hold the cup on and angle so i can start the art earlier but i was also the camera man so i was doing it through the view finder

Practice makes perfect maheel so stick with it and try different things.

For some totally kicka$$ latte art check out Luke Shillings vids in his thread.

Comment

Re: Latte art question

Just looked like a bit of a swirl to "make it even" until he started getting textured milk staying on the surface :-?

Comment

Working...
      X