Washing Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Out

Its not time to talk about hanging the washing out, but I would appreciate some tips on preventing washing out when I do my rosettas.

I have watched every youtube video I can and read plenty but I just cant seem to control my rosettas washing out..

any tips or tricks out there that I might have somehow missed.

Attached is a photo of a rosetta I did tonight for reference.

Re: Washing Out

Possibly a stoopid question, but what do you mean by washing out?

Comment

when around the rosetta is all milky and not well defined.

I thought that is what it was called but I could well be wrong!

Comment

Ah, right.

Id suggest that you try to not have such a big sweep of the milk as you begin. Try for less wrist action and less leaves on the Rosetta? Does that make any sense?

Comment

maybe I should make a video of how I go about it because then it will be easier to point out faults..

But yes scoota, I do get what you mean.

Comment

I was beginning to think you must have gone to try again! ;D

Yes, I had to really think about how I do it to try and describe it back to you! And even then I wasnt sure that Id said it in a way some one would understand.

Comment

No I understand.. i have watched about every latte art video and read everything I can, and I would say that in general I can do okay art..

Sometimes the washing out thing is badder than other times, but I just see youtube videos where I feel I am pouring exactly the same way as them and yet they dont have that milkiness around the edge..

Its like I know the theory behind it but for some reason when Im putting it into practise something is going astray!

You were right though, I did go and make another one :P

Its all about setting the base with that bulb, but my bulb seems to turn into the milky washiness.

Yay for making up words to describe my problem.

Comment

I posted a while ago regarding my bases being not defined enough.
                Am still having troubles trying to solve it.

This is the best example of a rosetta ive seen so far.
                I think what he did was start a small bulb at the back of the cup, then started the wiggle and then a constant flow.

It looks like theres excellent crema in the cup, and the microfoam is spot on.

At my age my hands are shakey, so mine are very inconsistent.
                Wished mine is as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wPV2n55bkY

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 475D505143554D4747340 link=1314010183/7#7 date=1314079510
                  This is the best example of a rosetta ive seen so far.

i agree! that is incredible!

Comment

Hehe Gary, I was actually watching that one repeatedly last night.

After more practise I find that I can get a good base, but then my rosetta isnt as symmetrical because I feel like my movements are slower.. or I can have them fairly symmetrical but washed out.

Its a bit hit and miss so Ill keep practising

Comment

the symmetry on this is amazing... dont know if i will ever get quite that good.

Gary, have you tried using chocolate to make the crema darker to begin with. i know its cheating (sort of), but makes it much more consistent.

Comment

I really need to video one.. Ive turned the machine off for tonight though so ill have to make that happen another day.

Joel the crema is fine enough, when I set the crema fine and it is all a beautiful colour, it is just when I start to pour the art that the first leaves of the rosetta arent defined well, and so then it gives that wishy washy appearance. (This is my latest theory anyway)

I think it is the drop down bit that is stuffing it up, and i need to get straight down before I start the rosetta.

Just when I have done that the last few times I dont get the wash out but I dont get the symmetry, maybe I just need to practise this new technique more.

Coffee anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by 687B687F743C61787B7E780D0 link=1314010183/11#11 date=1314107489
                          Coffee anyone?
                          Yes please.

Scootergal, Joel and Markus including myself will drink your rejects.

I suppose i should try make a video too at some stage and join the Youtube crowd

Gary at G

Comment

That sure was a nice Rosetta and really easy to see the technique.

Gary, are you finding that you are starting yours in the middle of the cup like the guy in the video?

Comment

Yep I start in the middle..

Comment

Working...
                              X